Obama on Gun Control

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
In discussions of the recent remarks from Senator Obama that small town folks are bitter and "cling to guns" there have been questions about the Senator's stance on gun rights.

Senator Obama tried to clarify his remarks with the following statement:
"When people suggest I was somehow being elitist and demeaning hunters when I have repeatedly talked about the tradition that people pass on from generation to generation, hunters and sportsmen, and how I have consistently spoken about my respect for the Second Amendment. When people try to suggest that I was demeaning those traditions, then it sounds like there's some politics being played."

Like it or not, gun control will again be a wedge issue in this election so I think we should examine this issue. I believe that politicians, on the campaign trail, will say whatever they think the public wants to hear in order to make themselves more appealing. I also believe that politicians will distort facts to make their opponent less appealing. For these reasons, I'd like to ignore what the candidates are saying in regard to Obama's stand on Second Ammendment rights and let his record speak for itself.

As a state legislator in Illinois, Obama supported banning the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic firearms, increasing state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms and requiring manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms. He supported a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns.He sponsored a bill in 2000 limiting handgun purchases to one per month. He voted against a 2004 measure that allowed self-defense as an affirmative defense to those charged with violating local laws making it otherwise unlawful for such persons to possess firearms. Although out of line with most of his anti-gun voting history, in 1999, Obama voted "present" on SB 759, a bill that required mandatory adult prosecution for firing a gun on or near school grounds. The bill passed the state Senate 52?1. Illinois allows lawmakers to abstain from issues by voting present instead of yes or no.

Obama was also a board member of the Joyce Foundation which funds and maintains several gun control organizations in the United States.

He supported several gun control measures, including restricting the purchase of firearms at gun shows and the reauthorization of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. While in the US Senate, Obama has voted against legislation protecting firearm manufacturers from liability. Obama did vote in favor of the 2006 Vitter Amendment to prohibit the confiscation of lawful firearms during an emergency or major disaster, which passed 84-16.

During a February 15, 2008 press conference, Obama stated, "I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation." He voiced support for the District of Columbia's ban on handguns, for which arguments pro and con were heard by the Supreme Court in March 2008 in the case D.C. v. Heller. Obama has also stated his opposition to allowing citizens to carry concealed guns.

Obama is rated F by the National Rifle Association. The NRA describes the recipient of its F grade as a "true enemy of gun owners' rights." He is also rated F by Gun Owners of America who stated that Obama will "Get the Dems 'Barack' into the Business of Gun Control".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...rack_Obama#Gun_control

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Sounds to me like the NRA and Gun Owners of America got it right.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
For the sake of fair comparison, here are Cinton's stands (also from wiki).

In 1992 Hillary Clinton supported a federal ban on semi-automatic firearms before the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act was passed in 1993 and signed by President Clinton.

During a 1999 press conference at the White House, First Lady Hillary Clinton stated, "And since the crime bill was enacted, 19 of the deadliest assault weapons are harder to find on our streets. We will never know how many tragedies we've avoided because of these efforts." During the time period referenced by Clinton, handguns accounted for over 2/3 of firearm mortalities in the US.

In the 1999 Proposition B in Missouri campaign, Robin Carnahan's Safe Schools and Workplaces Committee, on the weekend prior to voting day, coordinated a taped phone message from Hillary Clinton that automatically dialed 75,000 homes statewide with the message, "Just too dangerous for Missouri families."

Hillary Clinton favors "sensible gun control legislation" and not limiting gun control lawsuits. She made gun licensing and registration a part of her 2000 Senate campaign.

Hillary Clinton was one of 16 Senators who voted against the 2006 Vitter Amendment, which prohibits the funding of the confiscation of lawfully-held firearms during a disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...ry_clinton#Gun_control

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
And the positions of John McCain.

In a speech before the National Rifle Association in 2007, McCain announced that he pledges to uphold the Second Amendment should he be elected president.

McCain has received fair to poor ratings on gun issues from the National Rifle Association, garnering a C+.

Other organizations have been more sharply critical; according to a review by Gun Owners of America (GOA), "...in 2001, McCain went from being a supporter of anti-gun bills to being a lead sponsor" in toward restrictions on the free speech of pro-Second Amendment organizations. McCain's GOA rating is F-.

McCain voted against the Federal Assault Weapons Ban and the efforts to renew it, as well as the Brady Bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...ohn_mccain#Gun_control

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The threat to the gun rights and the 2nd amendment is already over for the time being.
First, because the agenda of outright gun bans has failed (or at least failed to provide any notable success) in every country that has attempted. Notice that it has been several years since the last country enacted such a ban. Notice that even Canada won't follow suit (and its last PM lost re-election over the issue).
Second, because within a couple of months the SCOTUS will announce a decision that will guarantee, on the federal level, an individual right to own guns that, even for a staunch rights supporter like myself, will be excessive (as it will make even reasonable regulation difficult, like that against convicted felons), and will take many decades to unwind.

So really, it is now a non-issue in the greater scheme of things. Any of the 3 candidates could get elected and not even scratch upon gun rights.

So I hope the NRA has more dignity about achieving its goal than... say, MADD, has had.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: OrByte
Guns wont be an issue in this election.
Neither will gay marriage, abortion or swift boats.

1) Economy
2) War In Iraq
3) Health Care

Once a Democratic nominee is chosen, McCain will get smoked in the first Presidential debate on issues 1) and 2). He made a choice early in his campaign to get Bush's blessing, and soon he'll have to answer for it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In other news the Republican party has made great headway securing the vote of Chimpanzees by promising to preserve their right to carry bananas.

Republicans say Obama talks a good banana but is rarely seen eating one. This has aroused great suspicion among the Chimps, that Obama may also outlaw coconuts and make them eat limes. Times are hard for Chimps.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: OrByte
Guns wont be an issue in this election.
Neither will gay marriage, abortion or swift boats.

1) Economy
2) War In Iraq
3) Health Care

Once a Democratic nominee is chosen, McCain will get smoked in the first Presidential debate on issues 1) and 2). He made a choice early in his campaign to get Bush's blessing, and soon he'll have to answer for it.

Hope that you are right but sadly will be wrong.

You're fellow Americans including many on here have shown how easily brainwashed they can be.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The trouble is that these pussies running for president have never actively been gun owners nor do they even entertain the idea of defending themselves with a gun. They hire thugs for that crap.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hillary hunts every weekend, loves Jesus, and is ready on day one to return fire if any snipers call the White House at 3 a.m.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I might be paranoid, hell i am. But I think if Obama or Hillary get elected with a rubberstamp democrat congress. That silly federal assault rifle ban will come back on the table and be passed. So Ill be making my purchases this summer.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: RY62
Obama is rated F by the National Rifle Association. The NRA describes the recipient of its F grade as a "true enemy of gun owners' rights." He is also rated F by Gun Owners of America who stated that Obama will "Get the Dems 'Barack' into the Business of Gun Control".[/i]

whoever coined that gem should use their gun to ventilate their skull. guns n puns? really?

crisscross

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
In other news the Republican party has made great headway securing the vote of Chimpanzees by promising to preserve their right to carry bananas.

Republicans say Obama talks a good banana but is rarely seen eating one. This has aroused great suspicion among the Chimps, that Obama may also outlaw coconuts and make them eat limes. Times are hard for Chimps.

:D

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
I might be paranoid, hell i am. But I think if Obama or Hillary get elected with a rubberstamp democrat congress. That silly federal assault rifle ban will come back on the table and be passed. So Ill be making my purchases this summer.

Agreed. The anti-gun crowd may want us to believe that gun control is no longer an issue but 8 years would be plenty of time for an anti-gun President to do a lot of damage. This won't be the most important issue on the table but it will be there.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
The threat to the gun rights and the 2nd amendment is already over for the time being.
First, because the agenda of outright gun bans has failed (or at least failed to provide any notable success) in every country that has attempted. Notice that it has been several years since the last country enacted such a ban. Notice that even Canada won't follow suit (and its last PM lost re-election over the issue).
Second, because within a couple of months the SCOTUS will announce a decision that will guarantee, on the federal level, an individual right to own guns that, even for a staunch rights supporter like myself, will be excessive (as it will make even reasonable regulation difficult, like that against convicted felons), and will take many decades to unwind.

So really, it is now a non-issue in the greater scheme of things. Any of the 3 candidates could get elected and not even scratch upon gun rights.

So I hope the NRA has more dignity about achieving its goal than... say, MADD, has had.

The reach of the decision is still in question since we obviously don't have it yet. Though all indications certainly are that it is going to come down in favor of the 2nd as an individual right subject to substantially more protection than Congress has given it.

The supreme court isn't stupid and will very likely include an allowance to regulate in the case of convicted violent offenders, the mentally unstable, etc. Though I do see the comprehensive assault weapons bans and municipal handgun bans falling to the decision.

The presidential candidates are going to have very little (or no) say in the matter by the time one of them reaches office so their positions are moot.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
I sure hope the supreme court dose in fact come down in favor of the citizenry's right to possess firearms. I can hardly fathom how even the most dire "liberal" cannot see the need for an armed populace as a stopgap of last resort against despotism, especialy after Bush. But it seems that many are far less concerned with national freedom than they are their globalist agenda's.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
Hillary hunts every weekend, loves Jesus, and is ready on day one to return fire if any snipers call the White House at 3 a.m.
L:laugh:L!!

That's sig-worthy...

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Gun control is dead. Shouldn't be discussed until the USSC decision comes back.