Obama on advisor Jim Johnson who is doing the VP candidate search

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I have never made a thread on some sort of BS topic such as this. You have made quite a few. If you have these policy differences with Obama (and those are the things that really matter) why not devote your time to them as opposed to stupid crap such as this? Are you honestly trying to tell me that you base your decisions for president on things like this? There's nothing wrong with having an ideological view, I never claimed such a thing. I object to this stupid stuff on the same level that I object to the "MCCAIN IS THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE" threads.

A quick forum search shows that Queasy has started 9 anti-Obama threads in the last month.

The horror. :roll: A post once every 3.3 days.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
I have never made a thread on some sort of BS topic such as this. You have made quite a few. If you have these policy differences with Obama (and those are the things that really matter) why not devote your time to them as opposed to stupid crap such as this? Are you honestly trying to tell me that you base your decisions for president on things like this? There's nothing wrong with having an ideological view, I never claimed such a thing. I object to this stupid stuff on the same level that I object to the "MCCAIN IS THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE" threads.

Again, Obama is running on a "Judgement to Lead" platform as well as a promise of New Politics. Asking Johnson to lead his VP search and then stammering in front of the camera shows a lack of judgement and more of the politics of the old.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
And yeah, I guess it is fair to say I have a partisan agenda. I don't care to see Obama elected as President of the United States. I don't want to be taxed out of my skivvies. I don't want American businesses to be taxed out of the country. I don't want to see energy prices continue to rise to obscene levels.

NEWSFLASH: all this already happened under GW Bush.

One of these days, I'm going to figure out why partisan hacks almost always have their respective parties' actual agendas backwards.

Obama wants to raise corporate tax rates, capital gains tax rates, income tax rates, enact a "Windfall Profit" tax that will only hurt energy prices like it did back in the 70s and is in favor of a cap and trade scheme that will only raise energy prices. Are you saying that Obama isn't in favor of these?

No, what I'm saying is that taxes ALREADY went up via Bush's record spending spree (along with everything else you mentioned). But as Bush put all that on the government's deficit "charge card," and the bill is coming due, now the discussion is just how Bush's excesses are to be paid for by the American people, most of whom got jackshit out of it. So naturally the discussion is how to pass the bill on to those who actually got to feast at Bush's lavish table of corruption.

Get a clue, eh?

I'm not going to disagree with you there. Both parties are horrible about spending. The only way to solve the problem though is to cut the spending. Not raise taxes while continuing the wasteful spending.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

A quick forum search shows that Queasy has started 9 anti-Obama threads in the last month.

The horror. :roll: A thread once every 3.3 days.

Fixed to remove your typical spin tactic.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Again, Obama is running on a "Judgement to Lead" platform as well as a promise of New Politics. Asking Johnson to lead his VP search and then stammering in front of the camera shows a lack of judgement and more of the politics of the old.

How? Has Johnson done a poor job of vetting VP candidates? Do you believe that somehow his financial dealings will cause him to give Obama poor choices? Do you believe that Obama's selection of Johnson has given him some kind of untoward influence that will compromise Obama's 'Judgement to Lead'? Please explain how the selection of a Democratic operative to choose a Democratic VP violates the principle of post partisanship that Obama emphasizes. Did you expect him to pick a republican to choose his VP candidate?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
And yeah, I guess it is fair to say I have a partisan agenda. I don't care to see Obama elected as President of the United States. I don't want to be taxed out of my skivvies. I don't want American businesses to be taxed out of the country. I don't want to see energy prices continue to rise to obscene levels.

NEWSFLASH: all this already happened under GW Bush.

One of these days, I'm going to figure out why partisan hacks almost always have their respective parties' actual agendas backwards.

Obama wants to raise corporate tax rates, capital gains tax rates, income tax rates, enact a "Windfall Profit" tax that will only hurt energy prices like it did back in the 70s and is in favor of a cap and trade scheme that will only raise energy prices. Are you saying that Obama isn't in favor of these?

No, what I'm saying is that taxes ALREADY went up via Bush's record spending spree (along with everything else you mentioned). But as Bush put all that on the government's deficit "charge card," and the bill is coming due, now the discussion is just how Bush's excesses are to be paid for by the American people, most of whom got jackshit out of it. So naturally the discussion is how to pass the bill on to those who actually got to feast at Bush's lavish table of corruption.

Get a clue, eh?

I'm not going to disagree with you there. Both parties are horrible about spending. The only way to solve the problem though is to cut the spending. Not raise taxes while continuing the wasteful spending.

I agree with this. Except that, at this point, taxes will go up EVEN IF some miraculous cut in spending takes place. Simple economic reality.

You know what I would most like to see in American politics? Partisans holding their own party accountable instead of always ignoring their own party's failings while pointing fingers at the other party. How else do you think the parties get away with what they do, except for that?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
I agree with this. Except that, at this point, taxes will go up EVEN IF some miraculous cut in spending takes place. Simple economic reality.

You know what I would most like to see in American politics? Partisans holding their own party accountable instead of always ignoring their own party's failings while pointing fingers at the other party. How else do you think the parties get away with what they do, except for that?

Which is why I send letters and emails to my State Senator and Congressman to get them to rein in the spending.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Which is why I send letters and emails to my State Senator and Congressman to get them to rein in the spending.

And that's why I actually seek to have them voted them out of office regardless of partisan affiliation. Yaknow, accountability instead of empty words...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: RKDaley

As I really don't care about this shit, is there some left-wing blog source I can use for finding and reposting the latest anti-McCain talking points? I figure turn about is fair play.

I like:
www.thinkprogress.org
www.dailykos.com
www.crooksandliars.com
www.talkingpointsmemo.com
www.huffingtonpost.com

I like to create my own.

By the way, that puffy cheek of McCain's is a North Vietnamese implant wired directly to McCain's brain controlling him at critical junctures. You can see it kick in, sometimes, when he gets in front of a camera and is instructed to smile. Americans smile a lot when they think about eating you.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Don't worry, Obama is not going to run.

Russert: When we talked back in November of ?04 after your election, I said, ?There?s been enormous speculation about your political future. Will you serve your six-year term as United States senator from Illinois?? Obama: ?Absolutely.?

Obama: I will serve out my full six-year term. You know, Tim, if you get asked enough, sooner or later you get weary and you start looking for new ways of saying things. But my thinking has not changed.

Russert: So you will not run for president or vice president in 2008?

Obama: I will not.

And he's going to use public financing for his campaign:

http://patterico.com/2008/06/0...derneath-the-car-seat/

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: LTC8K6

Russert: When we talked back in November of ?04 after your election, I said, ?There?s been enormous speculation about your political future. Will you serve your six-year term as United States senator from Illinois?? Obama: ?Absolutely.?

Obama: I will serve out my full six-year term. You know, Tim, if you get asked enough, sooner or later you get weary and you start looking for new ways of saying things. But my thinking has not changed.

They all say that they aren't going to run so that isn't really that big of a deal.

Oh, on the other topic, that would be a pretty big mark against Obama had McCain not tried to get out of public financing since January.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Not sure what McCain has to do with Obama's pledge about financing, though.

Or his strong statement that he would not be running.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

They all say that they aren't going to run so that isn't really that big of a deal.

Oh, on the other topic, that would be a pretty big mark against Obama had McCain not tried to get out of public financing since January.
"John McCain is considering backing out of public financing now that his presidential campaign is raking in the cash."
Did he actually back out or did he just think about it?

Slight difference.

And what McCain did or didn't do really doesn't matter because Obama has a trust problem.

Rev. Wright, Bill Ayer, Reznko are all example of Obama's trust problem. If the Republicans can paint Obama as someone who's word cannot be trusted then Obama is going to be in big trouble. Because without his word he is a young inexperienced Senator who has not accomplished anything worth talking about. You can take 'trust' and change it with 'judgement' and come to the same conclusion. I would expect that the right focuses on one or both of those issues.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I HEARD THAT OBAMA'S MAILMAN SOMETIMES READS PEOPLE'S MAIL.
I HEARD THAT OBAMA'S MOM USES 100 WATT LIGHTBULBS WHEN A 60 WATT WILL DO.
I HEARD THAT OBAMA HAS A FRIEND WHO BRINGS IN HIS OWN CANDY TO A MOVIE THEATER.
VOTE MCCAIN.

OMGOMGOMGOMG

VOTE MCCAIN

A LEADER WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Why do people think that Obama, who comes from the Chicago political machine, with little experience and few accomplishments as a state or US Senator, will be different?

He's an inexperienced Chicago political hack.

LOL

I read that as "He's an inexperienced Chicago political black."

Which I suppose is also true!

Clinton '08?

You and what party? :laugh: Na jking :p

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

"John McCain is considering backing out of public financing now that his presidential campaign is raking in the cash."

Slight difference.

And what McCain did or didn't do really doesn't matter because Obama has a trust problem.

Rev. Wright, Bill Ayer, Reznko are all example of Obama's trust problem. If the Republicans can paint Obama as someone who's word cannot be trusted then Obama is going to be in big trouble. Because without his word he is a young inexperienced Senator who has not accomplished anything worth talking about. You can take 'trust' and change it with 'judgement' and come to the same conclusion. I would expect that the right focuses on one or both of those issues.

I think a better issue to focus on is that he is a black muslim, non prof john :roll:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Watched some of KO's show yesterday. Had some good mild laughter when he brought this up and started to defend it, in a non-biased news reporter kinda way. :)

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Barack Obama
I HEARD THAT OBAMA'S MAILMAN SOMETIMES READS PEOPLE'S MAIL.
I HEARD THAT OBAMA'S MOM USES 100 WATT LIGHTBULBS WHEN A 60 WATT WILL DO.
I HEARD THAT OBAMA HAS A FRIEND WHO BRINGS IN HIS OWN CANDY TO A MOVIE THEATER.
VOTE MCCAIN.

OMGOMGOMGOMG

VOTE MCCAIN

A LEADER WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

Hell YES!

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

LOL! Amusing, but his sheep will follow no matter what.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
Just heard on the radio that he is now a former advisor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm that as I saw a news link that he had resigned from the committee. I did not read the news article, but I imagine the cited reason will be that his presence was hurting Obama so he resigned to remove any problems.

So now the Obama detractors will have to find new molehills to make into mountains.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
One he heard Obama start saying "that's not the Jim Johnson I knew" he decided to jump ship...

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Slight difference.

If by "thinking about backing out" he meant officially requesting to back out of the public system THE DAY AFTER Super Tuesday, then you have a point.

FEC Warns McCain on Campaign Spending

By Matthew Mosk and Glenn Kessler
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, February 22, 2008; A01

The nation's top federal election official told Sen. John McCain yesterday that he cannot immediately withdraw from the presidential public financing system as he had requested, a decision that threatens to dramatically restrict his spending until the general election campaign begins in the fall.

But McCain's attempts to build up his campaign coffers before a general election contest appeared to be threatened by the stern warning yesterday from Federal Election Commission Chairman David M. Mason, a Republican. Mason notified McCain that the commission had not granted his Feb. 6 request to withdraw from the presidential public financing system.

The implications of that could be dramatic. Last year, when McCain's campaign was starved for cash, he applied to join the financing system to gain access to millions of dollars in federal matching money. He was also permitted to use his FEC certification to bypass the time-consuming process of gathering signatures to get his name on the ballot in several states, including Ohio.

By signing up for matching money, McCain agreed to adhere to strict state-by-state spending limits and an overall limit on spending of $54 million for the primary season, which lasts until the party's nominating convention in September. The general election has a separate public financing arrangement.

But after McCain won a series of early contests and the campaign found its financial footing, his lawyer wrote to the FEC requesting to back out of the program -- which is permitted for candidates who have not yet received any federal money and who have not used the promise of federal funding as collateral for borrowing money.

So who really isn't living up to their word on the subject? This is a case of Pot meeting Kettle. And if you believe that McCain isn't equally as guilty as Obama on trying to bail on this once they saw how much they could raise on their own....I got some nice ocean front property in Oklahoma City I'd like you to have a look at.