Obama on 60 minutes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
Considering where I work and considering how many of my friends, co-workers and whatnot are of many different races, I'd say I'm pretty far from a racist. What friggin clandestine agenda are you talking about. Prove this to me, seriously. I know you can't.

And advocating for racial equality is far from racism. They aren't enabling a victim mentality. So tell me was MLK Jr. advocating a victim society by calling for equality? I highly doubt Obama's church is anywhere near dangerous.

Why do you have such a problem for anybody of any race, creed, color, religion etc from speaking up and standing up for themselves?

Ahhh, the old "but I have black friends" approach. Classic.

Speaking up for yourself is one thing. Calling for a "black society" and a "black way of life" is a completely different animal. I call it double standard. I call it racist.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
For all reading the thread....here is the mission statement of the church.

Trinity United Church of Christ has been called by God to be a congregation that is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that does not apologize for its African roots! As a congregation of baptized believers, we are called to be agents of liberation not only for the oppressed, but for all of God?s family. We, as a church family, acknowledge, that we will, building on this affirmation of "who we are" and "whose we are," call men, women, boys and girls to the liberating love of Jesus Christ, inviting them to become a part of the church universal, responding to Jesus? command that we go into all the world and make disciples!

We are called out to be "a chosen people" that pays no attention to socio-economic or educational backgrounds. We are made up of the highly educated and the uneducated. Our congregation is a combination of the haves and the have-nots; the economically disadvantaged, the under-class, the unemployed and the employable.

The fortunate who are among us combine forces with the less fortunate to become agents of change for God who is not pleased with America?s economic mal-distribution!

W.E.B. DuBois indicated that the problem in the 20th century was going to be the problem of the color line. He was absolutely correct. Our job as servants of God is to address that problem and eradicate it in the name of Him who came for the whole world by calling all men, women, boys and girls to Christ.

How is that any different than 99% of all churches in america right now.

Secondly- Here is the precepts and covenants of said church.

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:

1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.
2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.
3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

Again this doesn't exactly sound dangerous or much different than most churches and since when is being proud of your roots equated with the KKK or Black Panthers.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Considering where I work and considering how many of my friends, co-workers and whatnot are of many different races, I'd say I'm pretty far from a racist. What friggin clandestine agenda are you talking about. Prove this to me, seriously. I know you can't.

And advocating for racial equality is far from racism. They aren't enabling a victim mentality. So tell me was MLK Jr. advocating a victim society by calling for equality? I highly doubt Obama's church is anywhere near dangerous.

Why do you have such a problem for anybody of any race, creed, color, religion etc from speaking up and standing up for themselves?

Ahhh, the old "but I have black friends" approach. Classic.

Speaking up for yourself is one thing. Calling for a "black society" and a "black way of life" is a completely different animal. I call it double standard. I call it racist.

I call you a idiotic for making such a leap. I have more than black friends. I work in downtown Detroit, lets see Filipinos, Chinese, Nigerian, French, Black, Chaldean(oh god I'm a terrorist cuz my friend is from Iraq), Afghani(again oh noes I'm a terrorists for having one of those as a friend), Pakistani(terrorist x 3!), an Israeli...on and on....

Black society, hmmm thats a statement about well black society, just like white society, filipino society etc. And there is a black way of life. Dude you are attacking the cultural aspects of a race, I wonder who's being racist now?

johnnobts

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
here's the point. my church can't get together and say, "We're white and we're proud..." now can we? Not that we want to... We claim Christus Victor, that's all we boast about.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: DonVito
Your obsession with the "evils" of his church is both silly and bizarre. They did bring up his drug use, in a more frank way than I recall the media discussing President Bush's drug use and criminal conviction during his campaign.

What criminal conviction? His DUI?

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Aimster
They said he went to Church, they discussed he was a Church man.

What about his past did you want them to bring up exactly? They mentioned his name being Osama Saddam Hussein Barrak.
They mentioned how the black people don't really feel he deserves the black vote.

Let's say you were interviewing him.
My question to you is basically this: What would you have asked him?

1) What are you throughts on a "black america" and why do you attend such a church? Why the division if you insist on running a platform of "bringing people together"

2) Why and how in the world can you support affirmative action?

3) Do you really think people are dumb enough to buy your BS?

That's all you got? Sounds like a bunch of hot air being spewed over nothing. The swiftboating has begun. John Howard can go straight to hell too. That bastard will probably be out of a job soon.

Aug 1, 2006
You rail his church but at the same notion some of the ideals preached by some of the neo-con evangelical churches is just as bad. Oh wait if you check out his church it's not like the KKK reversed, it absolves for black empowerment, are you so scared of that? Definitely a little less harmful than some of the other churches out there. Jesus Christ man if all you can do is rail against his church then just STFU.

All one has to do is check out his church to see just how racist they are. I don't want a racist/black panther president. That's all.

The main point is the liberal drive-by media seems to miss this very ALARMING fact.

But it wasnt alarming for you when a coke snorting drunk who went AWOL during 'nam was installed into the presidency by his fishing buddy on the Supreme Court. I was alarmed then. You didn't listen. So sod off.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Again this doesn't exactly sound dangerous or much different than most churches and since when is being proud of your roots equated with the KKK or Black Panthers.

You had better believe that this is dangerous. It's racist. Nothing more and nothing less.

"2. Commitment to the White Community
3. Commitment to the White Family
6. Adherence to the Whiter Work Ethic
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the White Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting White Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all White leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.
"

Now tell me that doesn't read like the KKK.
Replace black with white.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
You rail his church but at the same notion some of the ideals preached by some of the neo-con evangelical churches is just as bad. Oh wait if you check out his church it's not like the KKK reversed, it absolves for black empowerment, are you so scared of that? Definitely a little less harmful than some of the other churches out there. Jesus Christ man if all you can do is rail against his church then just STFU.

All one has to do is check out his church to see just how racist they are. I don't want a racist/black panther president. That's all.

The main point is the liberal drive-by media seems to miss this very ALARMING fact.

But it wasnt alarming for you when a coke snorting drunk who went AWOL during 'nam was installed into the presidency by his fishing buddy on the Supreme Court. I was alarmed then. You didn't listen. So sod off.

time to call the WAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE

kudos to 60 minutes for lobbing those softballs. Thatcher would be proud. :)

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005

You had better believe that this is dangerous. It's racist. Nothing more and nothing less.

"2. Commitment to the Arabic Community
3. Commitment to the Arabic Family
6. Adherence to the Arabic Work Ethic
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Arabic Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Arabic Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Arabic leadership who espouse and embrace the White Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Arabic Value System.
"

Now tell me that doesn't read like the KKK.
Replace black with white.

Oh look I replaced it with another race! It's still not wrong if you believe in equality.

And what is the white value system the black value system, etc etc...it's not like it's saying STOP THE OPPRESSION OF THE BLACKS.....that would be black panther. What it's advocating is advocating more strength to the black culture and community. Have you ever been to an inner city church? This is usually the norm. Have you had any experience with black culture, arabic culture, jewish culture, etc etc etc? They all preach the same the things, power to their culture, power to their values...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
What is it that you hate about this Black Man? You sound obsessed and disturbed

Well if it's any comfort to you I had the exact same impression.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
aww look at all the cute whiny repugs scared of a man that isnt even president yet.

Ill pass out the baby wipes so you all can clean up after crapping yourselves.

seriously.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Tab
Originally posted by: DonVito
Your obsession with the "evils" of his church is both silly and bizarre. They did bring up his drug use, in a more frank way than I recall the media discussing President Bush's drug use and criminal conviction during his campaign.

What criminal conviction? His DUI?

Ayup. He is the first President in US history who was elected with a criminal record.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
spidey07 - Obama becomes President in 2008 - tell me, what happens then?

/to which I mean - what do you believe will be the outcome - will Obama round up whitey and smack him around?
//back up some of your "fears", ya putz....

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
By who, sweetheart?

/would dey be wearin' white robes?
//you realize in our nation, the President isn't allowed to just do as he wishes.... so what are you so afraid of????

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
He needs to wake up and realize that it's 2007 and for the most part, blacks and whites co-exist. He's just saying the same crap conservatives said when the slaves were freed, women were given the right to vote, and the civil rights act was passed. "Oh God, women are allowed to vote, it's the end of the world!"

Oct 30, 2004

Aside from the War in Iraq, the nation is facing several other issues. Where do you stand on illegal immigration? Where do you stand on foreign outsourcing and foreign work visas? How do you envision that your plan for national healthcare would work? Are you interested in reforming Social Security, and how so? Would you try to slow global warming, and if so, how?

Oct 30, 2004

Regarding the drugs, it's possible that his opponents could try to claim that he'll be soft on drugs (which is fine with me).

As my family and I were watching, I said something to the effect he'll never make it into the White House because someone will assassinate him first. The reason? It's not that he's black. Rather, it's that he has too much intelligence, charisma, and perhaps integrity, which makes powerful, wealthy, politically connected interests very nervous. Thus, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's taken out; he's too much of a threat to "the establishment".

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
He needs to wake up and realize that it's 2007 and for the most part, blacks and whites co-exist. He's just saying the same crap conservatives said when the slaves were freed, women were given the right to vote, and the civil rights act was passed. "Oh God, women are allowed to vote, it's the end of the world!"

I'm pretty sure that's been the conservative battle cry ever since they decried the invention of fire as "angering the gods".

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Regarding the drugs, it's possible that his opponents could try to claim that he'll be soft on drugs (which is fine with me).

As my family and I were watching, I said something to the effect he'll never make it into the White House because someone will assassinate him first. The reason? It's not that he's black. Rather, it's that he has too much intelligence, charisma, and perhaps integrity, which makes powerful, wealthy, politically connected interests very nervous. Thus, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's taken out; he's too much of a threat to "the establishment".

I assume you mean he has some interest that may be questionable, but I don't think he's anything like Bush and Co. As an example, Bush wanted to nominate Ken Lay for some important position and was supported by him in various means...

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Tab

I assume you mean he has some interest that may be questionable, but I don't think he's anything like Bush and Co. As an example, Bush wanted to nominate Ken Lay for some important position and was supported by him in various means...

No. I meant that he makes currently politically connected interests nervious in that, being a man of intelligence and presumably independent judgment and thought, he might not "play ball" with currently politically connected interests. For example, he might not award no-bid contracts to certain military contractors in exchange for under-the-table compensation, etc.

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
They said he went to Church, they discussed he was a Church man.

What about his past did you want them to bring up exactly? They mentioned his name being Osama Saddam Hussein Barrak.
They mentioned how the black people don't really feel he deserves the black vote.

1) What are you throughts on a "black america" and why do you attend such a church? Why the division if you insist on running a platform of "bringing people together"

2) Why and how in the world can you support affirmative action?

3) Do you really think people are dumb enough to buy your BS?

I'm waiting for the questions (scratch that, slander) about his past.