obama not interested in lower gas prices

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Natural gas prices are the lowest they've been in the past two years.

20120223_NGFP.png

I never said natural gas pricies are high . I said because the winter has been mild . pricies are raising . We just had a topic on this subject not that long ago.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
The OP reminds me of the GOP's talking point memo sent to political pundits to divert attention from the improving economy, foreign policiy successes, etc.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Gas prices are controlled by supply and demand.

Really?

So the price of gas went up ~60-70 cents in the past month or 2 because people here demand more?

It's got more to do with people speculating on markets and with instigation of conflict w\ countries in oil producing regions.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Natural gas prices are not rising, the prices are low due to the mild winter/demand.

Are you blind? Do you not see that bounce off of the bottom, its clear as friggen day! Obviously this means that prices are "rising" because it took a small bounce off the bottom.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
this should be no surprise to anyone. your obama said what he wanted for YOU during his campaign. you can expect more of the same in greatly escalating energy costs and financial punishment for consumers.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this should be no surprise to anyone. your obama said what he wanted for YOU during his campaign. you can expect more of the same in greatly escalating energy costs and financial punishment for consumers.

If you are dumb enough to to think the POTUS controls gas prices please read my post above.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Well, while it is true that Obama doesn't have much power in lowering the price but he is certainly not helping either. Speculating is more about predicting what COULD happen to the gas supply. With Iran problem , the speculator are speculating that current gas supply will decrease so they up the price.

One thing Obama CAN do is to allow more drilling, while it is true that even IF he allow it, oil won't come out for years but the speculative aspect of it mean there will be more supply.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
This time around it is all speculators driving the price up IMO. Demand has been down thanks to a very mild winter. My dad delivers home heating oil for a living in the winter. There has been a lot less work this winter to the point there are less drivers working. The speculators are using Iran as an excuse to make huge money on the backs of American's. I hope congress gets those blood suckers in front of them and puts pressure on them. I also would like the DOJ to open an investigation into this. Even a hard core right winger O'Rielly says it is all speculators.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's more supply & demand than some of you think, wanting to point to speculators.

We're living in a global economy.

Demand goes down in the U.S., oil companies export more gasoline to foreign countries, thereby reducing the U.S. supply. As demand decreases in the U.S., so too does the supply.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, while it is true that Obama doesn't have much power in lowering the price but he is certainly not helping either. Speculating is more about predicting what COULD happen to the gas supply. With Iran problem , the speculator are speculating that current gas supply will decrease so they up the price.

One thing Obama CAN do is to allow more drilling, while it is true that even IF he allow it, oil won't come out for years but the speculative aspect of it mean there will be more supply.

We are drilling more then we ever have before.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
President Bush lifted an executive ban on offshore oil in July 2008 which made an imediate 15 cents a gallon drop in the price of gas. The President "can" influence prices if they so wish.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
President Bush lifted an executive ban on offshore oil in July 2008 which made an imediate 15 cents a gallon drop in the price of gas. The President "can" influence prices if they so wish.

Please stop sniffing glue it's bad for you.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Wow, someone's off his meds. Some thoughts:
Reality is not a binary system; it is not EITHER "Obama is awesome and wants you to have his flying space babies and cheap energy" OR "Obama is evil and wants you to have expensive energy". Most people here understand this.

This links to nothing in my post. So you seem to have gone off into some internal la-la land and are talking to yourself.
Wow, meds indeed.

My "boogy-strawman of democrat conspiracy towards 'world fairness'" (whatever the hell THAT means) comes straight from Obama. I even have the quote in my signature.

SO WHAT?

Jesus Christ. Don't you understand that "it has nothing to do with this," means that it has nothing to do with this, and when you talk about it pointedly as though it has something to do with this that you are fucking stupid?

What he desires with regard to US oil consumption vs the rest of the world has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE to prices being high because of the international price of crude.

(yay example!):

DominionSeraph: "Damn I wish there was drought in Georgia, Florida, Texas, the Carolinas, and the American Southwest. Because in my disconnected magical world that would somehow make the rest of the world better, and boy golly-gee I'd certainly like that!"

Oh wow, would you look at that:
41743066.jpg

werepossom: "MOMMY! Dominion is making it not rain! See, he even said that that's what he wanted! I have his quote in my signature!"

Throwing that Obama quote in your post is the equivalent of throwing my quote into a thread about El Nino (or whatever) causing said drought. What the fuck do I have to do with the drought? Nothing, just as Obama has nothing to do with the price of gas.
Now if Obama was raising taxes on gas or I was working to build up an additional mountain range off California's coast, THEN THE QUOTES WOULD BE RELEVANT. <--- do you see that you NOW HAVE A FUCKING LINK BETWEEN QUOTE AND REALITY?
Big difference. LEARN IT.

^^^ It's like I'm teaching freshmen.

Last edited:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
&#8220;You can either stand up for the oil companies, or you can stand up for the American people,&#8221; Mr. Obama said. &#8220;You can keep subsidizing a fossil fuel that&#8217;s been getting taxpayer dollars for a century, or you can place your bets on a clean-energy future.&#8221;
The president criticized Republicans who have called for the country to increase its own oil production, declaring that &#8220;anyone who tells you we can drill our way out of this problem doesn&#8217;t know what they&#8217;re talking about.&#8221; With the United States consuming more than 20 percent of the world&#8217;s oil while having only 2 percent of the world&#8217;s oil reserves, Mr. Obama said &#8220;we can&#8217;t rely on fossil fuels from the last century.&#8221;

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Speculating with oil is about taking advantage of a situation to make a buck. Oil speculators just make money off money without providing a descernable product. Meanwhile because there aren't a lot of alternatives the result is a massive wealth transfer from the middle class and the poor to the 1%.

It's about time we put limits on oil speculating to end users of oil only.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This links to nothing in my post. So you seem to have gone off into some internal la-la land and are talking to yourself.
Wow, meds indeed.

SNIP
Gotta give you credit, not many people are willing to put that much work into looking stupid. Whomever told you there's a prize for stupidest person on the 'Net did you a severe disservice. Then again, with your level of reading comprehension he/she probably told you there'd be a prize for not going poopee in your pants.

What Obama desires about US oil consumption has no direct correlation to high world oil prices. It however has everything to do with how he reacts to high world oil prices. If you're polite (admittedly unlikely), perhaps whomever straps on your helmet when you go outside can explain the difference to you. Well, ATTEMPT to explain the difference to you; success admittedly seems unlikely. For the rest of us, these two things are considerably different. You might even have noticed that the thread is "Obama not interested in lower gas prices". Perhaps someday medical science will progress to the point that you can understand the difference between "Obama not interested in lower gas prices" and "Obama causes higher gas prices". (And if that treatment doesn't otherwise cause you harm, then we can move on to testing it on rats and other higher order organisms.)

Until then, stick to cartoon ponies; the real world just causes you rage when you try to understand it.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Please stop sniffing glue it's bad for you.
Sniffing glue? Have you been at the cartoon ponies too?

There are things Obama can do to lower the price of gas, especially since it's largely driven by fears of future scarcity. The two questions are "Would these things significantly reduce the price?" and "Are they worth doing?" For the first, I doubt we'd see more than 5% to 10% drop were he to go balls to the wall trying to cut gas prices. TheNoid and Darwin seem to me to be best equipped to answer that question.

For the second, nothing happens in a vacuum and very few things are either all good or all bad. If Obama opens up more drilling by removing off-limits areas, relaxing environmental standards, and streamlining permitting, that's good, because it promises to increase future oil supplies and thereby exerts downward pressure on prices. It also helps our trade deficit and our national debt. It's also bad, because it increases environmental damage, increases greenhouse gases and other pollutants like sulphor oxides and MTBE, increases the amount of land required to be devoted to ethanol crops (because lower prices cause higher consumption which require more ethanol), increases the likelihood of significant environmental disasters like the BP Gulf spill, and removes some of the pain forcing people toward more efficient automobiles and homes. Increasing domestic oil (whether by increased production or by tapping the SPR) is good because it eases pain at the pump at a time when our recovery can't take much pain. It's also bad because it reduces our future security (if we burn it today we don't have it to burn tomorrow) and because it makes it easier for us to keep our gas guzzlers.

I obviously differ from Obama on exactly how good and how bad are high oil prices. That doesn't mean that I can't understand his viewpoint and concede that there is value in it. Don't be a tool; recognize that there is value in the other side as well. The only question is where we each place the tipping point.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Energy Secretary Stephen Chu stated the administration was not interested in lowering gas prices, as high prices will help push people towards alternate power sources.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/29/chu-to-congress-were-not-interested-in-lowering-gas-prices/

In other words, the nation gets to choke on high gas prices.

That's exactly what Chu is interested in. Take a longer term perspective, please. You want a subsidy to enable more wealth transfer from US?

I don't know the veracity of that, but as you can see from the current prices, it probably didn't help beyond the ultra shortterm

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That's exactly what Chu is interested in. Take a longer term perspective, please. You want a subsidy to enable more wealth transfer from US?

I don't know the veracity of that, but as you can see from the current prices, it probably didn't help beyond the ultra shortterm
It wouldn't be a "subsidy to enable more wealth transfer from US" to open up more American oil production; that's kind of the point.

There are three problems with high gas prices right now. First, it might kill our very fragile recovery. Second, many people are on reduced household income right now, making high gas prices more painful than they would ordinarily be. Third, we currently don't have a viable replacement for oil. Battery technology isn't nearly mature, our grid is straining now, we don't have the technology to replace petroleum for our heavy movers, we don't have nearly enough nuclear plants, we have no really practical clean energy power plants, and our "investment" in alternative energy is mostly subsidies for products not economically feasible. We simply aren't ready.

These very high prices are a boon for Chu and Obama, but they are also a political nightmare as the American voter tends to believe that Presidents can control gas prices. We'll have to see if the media can succeed in making the voter think Republicans are somehow responsible, or at least convince them that Obama isn't responsible (which would actually be a good thing; the more voters understand how the economy works, the better.) For myself, I think these very high prices move us in a good direction, I just wish we had a better economy so we wouldn't have quite so much pain involved.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The biggest brainwash Americans (republicans) suffer is believing that "if" all gas were sourced from onshore locations, that somehow we'd have $2 gas. Good luck with THAT!
Exxon would charge EVEN MORE. We would see $6 - $10 a gal gas if all our gas was sourced from within our shores.
WHY...? would you think Exxon is going to give YOU a break? Exxon would still charge the same and even higher pricing for gas. The market would still be controlled by the same people that control it now. Even though Exxon might be drilling and supplying your gas from within the US, Exxon would also still be drilling off shore to fill world demand. So if Iran is unstable, and Exxon is drilling in Iran, and that is a risk to Exxon and the markets, Exxon WOULD STILL pass that extra cost ON TO YOU, the American driver. Despite the fact your gas tank holds American drilled gas, that would not matter to Exxon.
Come on people.... you really believe drill baby drill is somehow going to kill off oil company GREED? Really??? Really??? Really...?
Republicans believe that. Normal Americans should know better.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
The biggest brainwash Americans (republicans) suffer is believing that "if" all gas were sourced from onshore locations, that somehow we'd have $2 gas. Good luck with THAT!
Exxon would charge EVEN MORE. We would see $6 - $10 a gal gas if all our gas was sourced from within our shores.
WHY...? would you think Exxon is going to give YOU a break? Exxon would still charge the same and even higher pricing for gas. The market would still be controlled by the same people that control it now. Even though Exxon might be drilling and supplying your gas from within the US, Exxon would also still be drilling off shore to fill world demand. So if Iran is unstable, and Exxon is drilling in Iran, and that is a risk to Exxon and the markets, Exxon WOULD STILL pass that extra cost ON TO YOU, the American driver. Despite the fact your gas tank holds American drilled gas, that would not matter to Exxon.
Come on people.... you really believe drill baby drill is somehow going to kill off oil company GREED? Really??? Really??? Really...?
Republicans believe that. Normal Americans should know better.

No Dumbass We're Sayin if we do not have to ship it here or refine it elsewhere their costs would be cheaper and they could make more by even selling it for less.

I ask you who owns the oil companies?