Obama, leadership on the international stage

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Answering a question from a reporter from China, Mr. Obama managed to acknowledge that he had to care most about how American workers and companies were affected by globalization, while still making the argument for why globalization was in America?s best interest.

?Look, I?m the president of the United States. I?m not the president of China,? Mr. Obama said. Then he added, ?It is also my responsibility to lead America into recognizing that its interests, its fate, is tied up with the larger world.?

Mr. Obama said that if America neglected or abandoned poor countries, ?not only are we depriving ourselves of potential opportunities for markets and economic growth, but ultimately that despair may turn to violence that turns on us.?

Agreed.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Ya, we were really lacking on the international stage for the past oh, say... 8 years or so.

So glad its over. =)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A giant wave is coming and the insular, cultist, racist, nationalistic jingoism of the Republican troglodite party is being replaced by a one world one lifeboat evolving consciousness. Think of it as the whole world is America or us vs the Klingons in the ort cloud.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Gee, I wonder what Cheney must think of all of this. He must be royally pissed that all the hard work he put into excreting that giant turd of a neocon agenda on us is swirling round and round and down the toilet along with his asswipe Bush.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: tweaker2
Gee, I wonder what Cheney must think of all of this. He must be royally pissed that all the hard work he put into excreting that giant turd of a neocon agenda on us is swirling round and round and down the toilet along with his asswipe Bush.

Reading that post made me very happy. Thanks!

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I think Obama has done a good job in interacting with other nations, but true leadership is done by example. If Obama wants to lead the world in economic recovery, fiscal responsibility, or whatever, then he needs to get this country to set the example. His actions after the G20 will determine whether or not he was a true 'leader' throughout all of this.

Good job so far though! :thumbsup:

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Yep.. world peace has been achieved and we can thank the Messiah Obama. WTF has he done? He's spent a shitload of money.. thats about it. And because he gets on stage and reads off his teleprompter that we should eliminate all nukes, fix healthcare, and blame Bush for everything he is a great leader?

He isn't leading.. he's giving speeches. And all the social morons in Europe are getting hard-ons for his bullshit speeches that are big on words but weak on action. When Israel is at peace, when North Korea stops threating people and oppressing its people, when genocide stops in Darfur, when Afghanistan is free of terrorists, when Pakistan stops harboring them, when Tibet is free.. and he has a hand in one of those.. THEN maybe he could be considered a great leader.

What has he accomplished to warrant the praise thats being given to him? He has barely changed Bush's policies in Iraq, and he is EXPANDING the war in Afghanistan..

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Oh, I forgot.. he likes to blame America a lot.. that seems to go over real well with you America hating liberals. I guess that would probably make him great in your minds.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Sorry to rain on the Obama ass kissing parade... but did you guys miss this part?
He did not get much of what American officials had been hoping for, notably failing to persuade other countries to commit to more fiscal stimulus spending.
It is like the election all over again:
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"
"Oh look at him isn't he wonderful!!!!"

But when you look for quantitative results you see that not much was really accomplished.

This whole thing was yet again style over substance. And if you need proof of that then check out this passage:
?Unless we are concerned about the education of all children and not just our children, not only may we be depriving ourselves of the next great scientist who?s going to find the next new energy source that saves the planet, but we also may make people around the world much more vulnerable to anti-American propaganda.?

In a rare show of emotion from the international press, many in the room stood up and cheered after Mr. Obama was done.
OHHHH!!!! President Obama wants to educate the children!!! Oh isn't that wonderful!! :sniff sniff:

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Sorry to rain on the Obama ass kissing parade... but did you guys miss this part?
He did not get much of what American officials had been hoping for, notably failing to persuade other countries to commit to more fiscal stimulus spending.
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"

But when you look for quantitative results you see that not much was really accomplished.

This whole thing was yet again style over substance. And if you need proof of that then check out this passage:
?Unless we are concerned about the education of all children and not just our children, not only may we be depriving ourselves of the next great scientist who?s going to find the next new energy source that saves the planet, but we also may make people around the world much more vulnerable to anti-American propaganda.?

In a rare show of emotion from the international press, many in the room stood up and cheered after Mr. Obama was done.
OHHHH!!!! President Obama wants to educate the children!!! Oh isn't that wonderful!! :sniff sniff:

Who needs accomplishments when you can give a great speech.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"

Bitter troll much?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: retrospooty
Originally posted by: tweaker2

Reading that post made me very happy. Thanks!

i luld

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: feralkid
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"

Bitter troll much?

It's funny, I don't recall that same criticism of Bush.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"

Bitter troll much?

Careful, now.

The Savior of the GOP can see Russia from her house.

She wants to take us back to the glory days of the '90s (1890s, that is ... ).

Clearly a 'quantitative result' of substance over style - ;)

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: Phokus
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04.../03assess.html?_r=2&hp

Pretty refreshing to see a US president mediating and working together with other leaders rather than dictating them. He showed great poise and leadership, especially working with china and france over their argument.

What did he accomplish?

Well, I suppose not coming off as an idealogical jackass is an accomplishment. :p Well, maybe not, but it is still a refreshing step in the right direction*. I won't say he has been a leader in this situation until actions replace words.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

Pretty refreshing to see a US president mediating and working together with other leaders rather than dictating them. He showed great poise and leadership, especially working with china and france over their argument.

What did he accomplish?

Well, I suppose not coming off as an idealogical jackass is an accomplishment. :p Well, maybe not, but it is still a refreshing step in the right direction*. I won't say he has been a leader in this situation until actions replace words.

So he accomplished NOTHING and we started a thread over it, that's typical.

Pass the kool-aid.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"

Bitter troll much?

Careful, now.

The Savior of the GOP can see Russia from her house.

She wants to take us back to the glory days of the '90s (1890s, that is ... ).

Clearly a 'quantitative result' of substance over style - ;)

He has style, so that's what he accomplished.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
"Oh he looks so good"
'Oh he sounds so good"

Your gross oversimplification obscures the situation, PJ. Going into this G20 conference it looked like Obama was going to get his clock cleaned. The European nations (except Great Britain) had already all announced none would have any stimulus program. The Europeans were all set to toss ALL the blame for the downturn on the USA and wanted the topic to be how much international regulation would be imposed on the financial markets, including the US ones. Obama managed to difuse the situation, agreeing in principle to some regulatory reform (as he has always called for) but not commiting to anything. He personally mediated a dispute between the leaders of China and France when France threatened to walk out of the conference. Obama got international commitments for an additional trillion dollars to the IMF-which is a rough equivalent of a stimulus program.

Did Obama bat 1.000? Of course not, but he did damn good, especially for his first major international venture.

I'd suggest you look at the situation like this-image if GWB or McCain was there. Tell me honestly if you think either one of those wouldn't have done far, far worse.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Pass the kool-aid.

Yeah ... nothing.

What good is a commitment to global hedge fund regulation, a crack-down on international tax havens and a trace on securitized assets sold around the world?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

What did he accomplish?

Pass the kool-aid.

Not necessarily. We won't really know what he accomplished until these decisions get put into practice and/or written into law. It is still an important event, either way.

Here's some Kool-aid. It is sugar-free, so beware the blowback...

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Pass the kool-aid.

Yeah ... nothing.

What good is a commitment to global hedge fund regulation, a crack-down on international tax havens and a trace on securitized assets sold around the world?

Wow HE did all that, the man is truly something special.

CleveYank

Dec 5, 2000

Oh please...Yeah the Liberal Left is going to make things right under Obama.
Maybe if Obama lives up to the leftist expectations and pushes the social, political, and economic envelope just far hard enough left that we can finally have our 2nd Civil War.
Wouldn't that be something?

If I wanted to live like a liberal euro globalist piece of trash, I'd move to France! And for those that want to live as a kinder, gentler, globalist scum that practice and preach values or rhetoric that defies and infringes on our freedoms want that? Then why don't you move to France to live in that type of society!!! Members of my Family did not pay the ultimate price to defend you and your family and protect your freedoms to have you erode them away or bring in politicians that will invoke laws, treaties and policies to erode it either.

I'm not the lunatic fringe out there either. Just some regular Joe that's seen the Bushes to the Billy Bobs (nick name for BC) slowly destroy what was one of the (not perfect for everyone) as a whole, best countries in the world see a downturn in economics, society, and freedoms than I ever thought I'd see in my lifetime. If the collective (the stupid sheep) don't get it and do something about it before it's too late? We'll be the morally bankrupt, fiscally ruined, rhetorically free uneducated populous of the United States of America. Might was well change the name to EUII or some label that indicates were a Territory under Protectorate of China. Peace Love Joy :)