Obama launches: "Stop the Smears" website.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Hafen
Good website, very smart. Obama is approaching this election really deftly and won't go down easy to GOP smears like that sissy Kerry. The right wing just seems to be making itself look really slimy and pathetic with all their stupid accusations and "terrorist fist jab" bullshit.

Between his policy positions, his primary campaign strategy and now this, Obama is proving himself to be a master tactician. Damn its going to be nice to have a keen and intelligent president again.

Umm, many of these smears came from Democratic supporters in the Hillary camp. The "Whitey" tape rumor in particular came from left-wing Hillary supporter Larry Johnson.

It might help the 'master tactician' to use correct facts on his fact check page as well since, as I mentioned before, they have Limbaugh saying something he clearly did not say.

Larry Johnson is a long-time right-wing Republican who only masqueraded as a Hillary supporter for this election. He is/was never a left-winger. Check your own facts.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Good website, very smart. Obama is approaching this election really deftly and won't go down easy to GOP smears like that sissy Kerry. The right wing just seems to be making itself look really slimy and pathetic with all their stupid accusations and "terrorist fist jab" bullshit.

Between his policy positions, his primary campaign strategy and now this, Obama is proving himself to be a master tactician. Damn its going to be nice to have a keen and intelligent president again.

Umm, many of these smears came from Democratic supporters in the Hillary camp. The "Whitey" tape rumor in particular came from left-wing Hillary supporter Larry Johnson.

It might help the 'master tactician' to use correct facts on his fact check page as well since, as I mentioned before, they have Limbaugh saying something he clearly did not say.

Larry Johnson is a long-time right-wing Republican who only masqueraded as a Hillary supporter for this election. He is/was never a left-winger. Check your own facts.

Let's see, he was a critic of the administration over the Plame affair. Outspoken against the Iraq War. He spoke for the Democrats in one of their weekly radio addresses in 2005. I think his days as a Republican are over and it isn't just because of this election.

Furthermore, another name mentioned on the site is Bob Beckel...a liberal commentator who has worked for both Robert Kennedy and Mondale.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Let's see, he was a critic of the administration over the Plame affair. Outspoken against the Iraq War. He spoke for the Democrats in one of their weekly radio addresses in 2005. I think his days as a Republican are over and it isn't just because of this election.

Furthermore, another name mentioned on the site is Bob Beckel...a liberal commentator who has worked for both Robert Kennedy and Mondale.

Being a critic of Bush about the Plame affair and against the Iraq War does not make one a left-winger. If it did, Ron Paul would be left-wing.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

Being a critic of Bush about the Plame affair and against the Iraq War does not make one a left-winger. If it did, Ron Paul would be left-wing.

Let me know when Ron Paul speaks for the Democrats in a radio address. It is clear that Johnson's allegiances shifted long before this election much like the guy that is in charge of Media Matters now used to be a 'right-winger'.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Umm, many of these smears came from Democratic supporters in the Hillary camp. The "Whitey" tape in particular came from left-wing Hillary supporter Larry Johnson.

Yeah, pretty pathetic for a "change" and "new type of politics" guy to start a "stop the smears" site which ends up doing just that - trying to smear. But it's OK, I didn't expect much less from him and his group as there is nothing different about him or his politics except he can pull the wool over people's eyes better than libs in the past have.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Yeah, pretty pathetic for a "change" and "new type of politics" guy to start a "stop the smears" site which ends up doing just that - trying to smear. But it's OK, I didn't expect much less from him and his group as there is nothing different about him or his politics except he can pull the wool over people's eyes better than libs in the past have.

Okay, now what do you think is on that website that is trying to smear our good friend Rush? I'm going to take a guess right off the bat that it's some misquotation that actually has nothing to do with 'smearing' someone, but you've decided to take it and try and run with it as you desperately cling to anything you can use to attack Obama with.

Remember though everyone, CAD here 'doesn't have a horse in this race'!

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007

Umm, many of these smears came from Democratic supporters in the Hillary camp. The "Whitey" tape in particular came from left-wing Hillary supporter Larry Johnson.

Wow.

All this because of the difference over:

"Rush Limbaugh says a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United"

and:

"On May 30th, Rush Limbaugh said he had heard a rumor that a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?Whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ."

Given your indignation over this "smear", you wouldn't have by chance voted for Bush back in 2004 did you? Because that campaign was marked with smearing far worse than this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: neodyn55

Wow.

"Rush Limbaugh says a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United"

and:

"On May 30th, Rush Limbaugh said he had heard a rumor that a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?Whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ."

Given your indignation over this "smear", you wouldn't have by chance voted for Bush back in 2004 did you? Because that campaign was marked with smearing far worse than this.

Is that what it was? Awesome, I was right.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: neodyn55

Wow.

and:

Is that what it was? Awesome, I was right.

Nope, the tape thing has NOTHING to do with Rush. He has even stated he doesn't think it actually exists. But if you only look at the site, it suggests he was part of the rumor when he was not. Why did they put Rush out there when others were talking about the rumor by Clinton's camp? Couldn't be to attempt to smear him... nah. :roll: Why don't they post the truth about the rumor instead of misrepresenting it?

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
some redneck dems are helping out the right wing scum:

Fred Hobbs, a state Democratic Party Executive Committee member representing part of Davis? district, said he understands why [Tennessee Congressman Lincoln] Davis is not endorsing Obama and is "skeptical" of the Illinois senator himself.

"Maybe [it?s] the same reason I don?t want to ? I don?t exactly approve of a lot of the things he stands for and I?m not sure we know enough about him," Hobbs said when asked why he thought Davis wasn?t endorsing Obama. "He?s got some bad connections, and he may be terrorist connected for all I can tell. It sounds kind of like he may be."

http://www.nashvillecitypaper....ws.php?viewStory=60813

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Nope, the tape thing has NOTHING to do with Rush. He has even stated he doesn't think it actually exists. But if you only look at the site, it suggests he was part of the rumor when he was not. Why did they put Rush out there when others were talking about the rumor by Clinton's camp? Couldn't be to attempt to smear him... nah. :roll: Why don't they post the truth about the rumor instead of misrepresenting it?

Even if you are 100% right about that, it's still not a smear. Do you even know what a smear is?

A smear attempts to dishonestly present information in order to disparage someone. Limbaugh has said such atrocious things as claiming that Obama is only doing well because he's black. Do you really think that Obama's website putting information from AP stories about if Rush Limbaugh believes a tape is real or not is a smear when he's said so many things that are so much worse, and so obviously racist? How huge of a hack are you?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Corbett
Someone forgot to tell Obama he already has a website to fight the smears. Its called digg. The users there are total sycophants.

The 'liberal internet' strikes again eh? Maybe they are in line with the 'liberal wikipedia' people. ConservaDigg here we come!

Who said anything about "liberal internet"? Anyone that knows the first thing on Digg knows how much that site is used to stomp on anyone opposing Obama.

I guess I should go over and 'Digg' your sig then, eh?

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007

Even if you are 100% right about that, it's still not a smear. Do you even know what a smear is?

A smear attempts to dishonestly present information in order to disparage someone. Limbaugh has said such atrocious things as claiming that Obama is only doing well because he's black. Do you really think that Obama's website putting information from AP stories about if Rush Limbaugh believes a tape is real or not is a smear when he's said so many things that are so much worse, and so obviously racist? How huge of a hack are you?

Also, CAD, why would a lib even need to 'smear' Rush? The stuff he says is so over the top and insane that any 'smearing' would be redundant. That alone should convince you that what you saw was a mistake than some sort of deliberate 'smear' (which it isn't, anyway.)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

:roll: sounds like a bit of hack spin there...

Why is Rush even mentioned - he was not part of the issue at all. There is zero reason for mentioning him and IF their intention is to put out the "truth" then they should have done more fact checking but that didn't happen for whatever reason.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mikelish
Cuda, the rich pay more % taxes. Coldkilla was wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T...ax_brackets_in_the_USA

You are confusing tax brackets with effective tax rate. For example you only pay social security taxes on the first $100k of your earnings or so, afterwards your future earnings are exempt. Things like that.

So what? Social Security is for retirement. Why do the rich need SS? They don't. Why should the rich subsidize someone else's SS? They shouldn't. Neither should you or I.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Why is Rush even mentioned - he was not part of the issue at all. There is zero reason for mentioning him and IF their intention is to put out the "truth" then they should have done more fact checking but that didn't happen for whatever reason.

Ugh, it was in an AP news report. Not only did the Obama people read it, but probably large amounts of people who would actually visit the website would have heard that/read about it.

Glad to see you've given up on the failed idea that it was somehow a 'smear' on Rush though. At least we're making progress.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Ugh, it was in an AP news report. Not only did the Obama people read it, but probably large amounts of people who would actually visit the website would have heard that/read about it.

Glad to see you've given up on the failed idea that it was somehow a 'smear' on Rush though. At least we're making progress.

It most definitely was an attempt. There was ZERO reason to bring him into it by the AP and then the supposed anti-smear site. If obama's site was put up to get the truth out, they did a horrible job and one wonders why they would put something on there they haven't checked into... But I'm sure it was innocent...:roll:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

OMG...what a liberal commie pinko!!!!

Sorry but the days of the Bush Republican party are over. He f'd the whole party and tons of longtime Republicans have jumped ship. I don't think to many are angling to climb back on, other than McCain that is.

Besides, altho Hillary did start &/or perpetuate some of these rumors, plenty of "conservative" douche bags line up to go onto Fox and other right-wing media to repeat and push unsubstantiated Obama smears.

Obama is running for President, not Pope or Christ. I couldn't give a shit if they tweak the words of that bloated bloviating, drug-addled, deaf and dumb fat fuckwit hypocritical lying sack of shitslime's words to dig a little FU back. Its still more honesty than DrugRush would ever show Obama, and far more than he deserves.
His Graciousness will spare him the Pimpcaning, but He weeps for the backhanded bitchslap He has to give. All rejoice in His charity and benevolence.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It most definitely was an attempt. There was ZERO reason to bring him into it by the AP and then the supposed anti-smear site. If obama's site was put up to get the truth out, they did a horrible job and one wonders why they would put something on there they haven't checked into... But I'm sure it was innocent...:roll:

Except that he's the name that people would most immediately associate with it that was contained in the AP report. Ah well, you see what you want to see.

Again, if Obama wants to talk trash about Rush it's so much easier then naming something like that. Rush has such an incredibly long history of racist remarks among other things, that A.) he doesn't really have a reputation to destroy at this point and B.) if they wanted to crap on whatever small remnants you want to claim are left they could have used any number of those.

If you look at this from an objective standpoint you will see it doesn't add up. I think it's pretty clear at this point however that you're not capable of this. Ah well. I expect the same worthless crap from you until November... man is it going to kill you when Obama wins.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Except that he's the name that people would most immediately associate with it that was contained in the AP report. Ah well, you see what you want to see.

Again, if Obama wants to talk trash about Rush it's so much easier then naming something like that. Rush has such an incredibly long history of racist remarks among other things, that A.) he doesn't really have a reputation to destroy at this point and B.) if they wanted to crap on whatever small remnants you want to claim are left they could have used any number of those.

If you look at this from an objective standpoint you will see it doesn't add up. I think it's pretty clear at this point however that you're not capable of this. Ah well. I expect the same worthless crap from you until November... man is it going to kill you when Obama wins.

Right... and you can obviously look at this from an "objective standpoint"... :roll:

So again, why bring Rush up when it's plainly obvious he had nothing to do with it? Why didn't Obamessiah's little "truth" website post the truth instead of misinformation?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
CAD,

It truly is amazing how awful you are when it comes to filtering through the bullshit and keeping your eye on the ball when it comes to the real issues during an election year. I have observed this behavior within most of your posts in P&N. I don't care who you support or why. If you can't at least manage to do that then your input holds very little substance and I fear how you are justifying your own vote. Now, I am sure me saying this to you will result in nothing but flames. However, once you calm down I recommend that you really consider trying to do whatever you can to not let yourself get so incredibly distracted and frustrated with all of the political nonsense that you seem to be drowning in thanks to the media and extremists. Again, I don't care who you support. Just do a better job at filtering the garbage and base you opinions and vote on what really matters the most instead.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Xavier434
CAD,

It truly is amazing how awful you are when it comes to filtering through the bullshit and keeping your eye on the ball when it comes to the real issues during an election year. I have observed this behavior within most of your posts in P&N. I don't care who you support or why. If you can't at least manage to do that then your input holds very little substance and I fear how you are justifying your own vote. Now, I am sure me saying this to you will result in nothing but flames. However, once you calm down I recommend that you really consider trying to do whatever you can to not let yourself get so incredibly distracted and frustrated with all of the political nonsense that you seem to be drowning in thanks to the media and extremists. Again, I don't care who you support. Just do a better job at filtering the garbage and base you opinions and vote on what really matters the most instead.

:roll: Yeah, I'm sorry. I guess I should just give Obama a pass like the media and his followers do. I mean the real truth doesn't matter, it's just marketing....right?

Anyway, I don't support anyone as of yet, but that does NOT mean I will leave BHO alone. He is not who he claims to be and this is yet another example(albeit small) of how his politics is no different than what he claims to be against.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
CAD,

:roll: Yeah, I'm sorry. I guess I should just give Obama a pass like the media and his followers do. I mean the real truth doesn't matter, it's just marketing....right?

Anyway, I don't support anyone as of yet, but that does NOT mean I will leave BHO alone. He is not who he claims to be and this is yet another example(albeit small) of how his politics is no different than what he claims to be against.

That's the problem right there. You are justifying your reasoning based upon too much bullshit. Your emotions about this stuff are clearly being guided by that same bullshit and that sort of thing never helps anyone make educated decisions. If you wish to stick with your beliefs about Obama then that's fine by me. You have every right do so no matter how much I or anyone else may disagree with you. I am not interested in changing your mind about that. Just stop allowing yourself to become so vulnerable to the parts of this mess that really don't matter at all and concentrate more on the real issue. This website is a perfect example. It's nothing but fluff despite any kind of validity or lack their of (your choice). Ignore it. Ignore anything that deals with propaganda.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
CAD,

That's the problem right there. You are justifying your reasoning based upon too much bullshit. Your emotions about this stuff are clearly being guided by that same bullshit and that sort of thing never helps anyone make educated decisions. If you wish to stick with your beliefs about Obama then that's fine by me. You have every right do so no matter how much I or anyone else may disagree with you. I am not interested in changing your mind about that. Just stop allowing yourself to become so vulnerable to the parts of this mess that really don't matter at all and concentrate more on the real issue. This website is a perfect example. It's nothing but fluff despite any kind of validity or lack their of (your choice). Ignore it. Ignore anything that deals with propaganda.

Nope, has nothing to do with emotion. I've seen BHO get the kid glove treatment for WAY too long and it's high time he starts getting called on this stuff. And yes it is a real issue despite what you people try to claim. It all goes to his character and honesty. What bigger issue could there be? Is this small and not directly his doing? sure(as I've stated), but if I were campaigning on "change" and different kind of politics and I had a site like this started, I'd make damn sure they got it right BEFORE they put it up. They didn't.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Nope, has nothing to do with emotion. I've seen BHO get the kid glove treatment for WAY too long and it's high time he starts getting called on this stuff. And yes it is a real issue despite what you people try to claim. It all goes to his character and honesty. What bigger issue could there be? Is this small and not directly his doing? sure(as I've stated), but if I were campaigning on "change" and different kind of politics and I had a site like this started, I'd make damn sure they got it right BEFORE they put it up. They didn't.

This site was merely an attempt to reduce propaganda and nothing more. Perhaps they didn't get it right the first go around. Such things can be fixed if that's the case. The point is that attempting to reduce propaganda is a good thing. Less bullshit to sift through.

Anyways, you'll get what you want with the upcoming debates. Until then, I would cool the jets. Wait for the real deal.