Obama launches: "Stop the Smears" website.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Well I guess he needed to do this since so many people are retarded and think he's a Muslim and a whole host of other things:

http://www.fightthesmears.com

Also to people who think he will raise your taxes. If you make over 2.9MILLION a year, yes he will. Otherwise, you will save more money under his plan.

According to an independent non-partisan research group in Washington these are McCain's and Obama's tax plans in as clear as day English.

Average Tax Bill
Income: $38,000 - $66,000
McCain: -$319
Obama: -$1,042

Income $66,000 - $112,000
McCain: -$1,009
Obama: -$1,290

Income: 112,000 - 161,000
McCain: -$2,614
Obama: -$1,204

Income: 2,900,000+
McCain: -$269,364 (Yes, thats savings)
Obama: +$701,885 (Yes, thats $$$ increased)

Talk about leveling the playing field. Obama will save 95% of American's MORE money that McCain. Unless your like every AT user that makes over 2.9 MILLION a year, he will raise those taxes. The reason is that percentage wise, lower income american's pay more for taxes than the insanely rich - their taxes cap at a certain number (98,000?) and no longer increase. Obama wants to lift the cap so everyone pays the same % of income. I think that's fair, don't you?

CNN Ran through these numbers conducted by this research group, youtube video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9fbxpMw4mco

Ummmmmmm, there's a pretty wide swath of income missing from those examples. That Truth application seems to be a little buggy I suppose. That income gap is what I'm most interested in, so what's Obamarama hiding?

neodyn55

Oct 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: neodyn55
The saddest part is that in today's USA, a country guided by one of the most progressive and advanced political writings ever, calling someone a Muslim is a "smear".

It's a "smear" because it's not true. It has nothing to do with free speech or progressive values or whatever you're trying to link it to.

What is sad is that so many sheep believe everything they hear from someone on the street or (more appropriate here, perhaps) every rumor that circulates around the net.

I think there's a distinction between a false statement and a smear.

If someone said Obama was from Alaska, that would be a false statement. But it wouldn't be a smear because there aren't any negative connotations with it. It can be ignored.

However, calling someone a Muslim, no matter however false, shouldn't have any negative connotation by itself, and thus, not necessitate a defense.

The fact is that it does, and I don't blame him for defending himself. I blame those who would put him in such a position.

I'm not linking this with free speech or progressive values. It saddens me to see that falsely calling someone Muslim is enough for a section of the populace to be wary of said candidate.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
I guess this is in preparation for the rumored Michelle Obama "Take on Whitey" video.

already debunked.

It'll be out right after the Dem convention, lol.

It's already out. Aside from lying about the contents of the tape itself, she says "why'd he", which some people are smearing as Mrs. Obama actually saying "whitey".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well I guess he needed to do this since so many people are retarded and think he's a Muslim and a whole host of other things:

Also to people who think he will raise your taxes. If you make over 2.9MILLION a year, yes he will. Otherwise, you will save more money under his plan.

According to an independent non-partisan research group in Washington these are McCain's and Obama's tax plans in as clear as day English.

Average Tax Bill

Talk about leveling the playing field. Obama will save 95% of American's MORE money that McCain. Unless your like every AT user that makes over 2.9 MILLION a year, he will raise those taxes. The reason is that percentage wise, lower income american's pay more for taxes than the insanely rich - their taxes cap at a certain number (98,000?) and no longer increase. Obama wants to lift the cap so everyone pays the same % of income. I think that's fair, don't you?

The insanely rich have lower effective taxation because they derive the majority of their income from capital gains(investment). For instance Bill gates salary at Microsoft is about 55 million. he will pay the going progressive income tax rate on that which should top out at 36%. But he may see 1 billion in appreciation of his company. He sells that and it is most likely a long term capital gains which is 15%.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87

Average Tax Bill

The insanely rich have lower effective taxation because they derive the majority of their income from capital gains(investment). For instance Bill gates salary at Microsoft is about 55 million. he will pay the going progressive income tax rate on that which should top out at 36%. But he may see 1 billion in appreciation of his company. He sells that and it is most likely a long term capital gains which is 15%.

Which Obama wants to raise to 28%. The other major difference is, as I mentioned before, McCain wants to do away with the Alternative Minimum Tax which is encroaching on more and more of the upper-middle and middle class every year while Obama wants to keep it. Obama has said he wants to 'lessen the bite' but I haven't been able to find any specifics.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The AMT needs to be revamped and slapped back on the top 1% of wage earners. Hitting the upper middle class and soon the middle class is just a ridiculous example of govt not doing its job.

Raising the Cap gains to 28% will probably cease investment in this country. There is a point on the tax scale where taxing more nets a negative result. 28% would be such an example imo.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The AMT needs to be revamped and slapped back on the top 1% of wage earners. Hitting the upper middle class and soon the middle class is just a ridiculous example of govt not doing its job.

Raising the Cap gains to 28% will probably cease investment in this country. There is a point on the tax scale where taxing more nets a negative result. 28% would be such an example imo.

You know that the capital gains rate was 28% during Clinton's time in office, right? You know, one of the largest and longest periods of economic prosperity in US history?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Considering Obama wants to create new armies of PC police (expanded Justice Department
to locally enforce creepy things like the "Gender Expression" he wants protected. I am not sure deputizing web rumour police is going to look good in the end. I do think there have been too many trifling criticisms of Obama (like the flag pin etc) and not enough about his neo-Marxist training and teaching. He can hide Alinsky even less than his other loopy buddies.

:roll:

Please stop getting your propaganda from the KKK and then re-posting it here. Thanks.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: eskimospy

You know that the capital gains rate was 28% during Clinton's time in office, right? You know, one of the largest and longest periods of economic prosperity in US history?

Not after 1997. Long term rates were reduced to 20% with the passage of the tax payers relief act of 1997. So it shouldnt surprise us that the run up and overinflation of the stock market started right about then as money flowed into the market. Bush cut this to 15% in 2003. Now we saw the result of the capital gains cuts in 1997. Do we want to effectively double the tax rate and see the reverse? I hope if Congress works on this they realize the ramifications. Resetting it to 20% would imo be a good compromise.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird
Obama is an empty suit.

Wow, really? I guess I'm not voting for him anymore. John McSame 2008! Bring it on terrorists! :D :p :D :p

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Not after 1997. Long term rates were reduced to 20% with the passage of the tax payers relief act of 1997. So it shouldnt surprise us that the run up and overinflation of the stock market started right about then as money flowed into the market. Bush cut this to 15% in 2003. Now we saw the result of the capital gains cuts in 1997. Do we want to effectively double the tax rate and see the reverse? I hope if Congress works on this they realize the ramifications. Resetting it to 20% would imo be a good compromise.

Except that real GDP growth rates from 1992-1997 were about the same as they were from 1997-2000. I mean the reason we care about investment in our country is so that we grow the GDP, right?

I mean, there is certainly a point of excessive taxation that would cause problems, but I'm not convinced that 28% is it. Good news for you though, is that Obama said that was the absolute highest he would even consider. In reality I sincerely doubt it would ever get that high again.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
ROFL - Someone in the Obama campaign needs to get the message to his half-brother.

Barack Obama?s half brother Malik said Thursday that if elected his brother will be a good president for the Jewish people, despite his Muslim background.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Hmmm, the Obama camp needs to fix that Rush Limbaugh entry. They have him saying two different things.

On the front page:
LIE: Rush Limbaugh says a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United

When you click through on 'Continue Reading':
On May 30th, Rush Limbaugh said he had heard a rumor that a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?Whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ.

That's two different things. Transcript from Rush's show
This is me on May 30th, and this is what I said about this.

RUSH ARCHIVE: There are these rumors circulating ? and I don?t know if this is true, but there are a number of people suggesting ? and I first heard this, by the way, when I was gone Monday and Tuesday of last week.

RUSH: Okay, stop the tape, stop the tape. That would have May 14th and 15th or whatever when I was out there playing Torrey Pines, so the middle of May. That?s when I first heard this. What is it now? June the 12th. So this is about a month ago that I said this, and all of a sudden now this becomes front-page news, thanks to the AP and the Drive-By Media.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy
Hmmm, the Obama camp needs to fix that Rush Limbaugh entry. They have him saying two different things.

On the front page:
LIE: Rush Limbaugh says a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United

When you click through on 'Continue Reading':
On May 30th, Rush Limbaugh said he had heard a rumor that a tape exists of Michelle Obama using the word ?Whitey? from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ.

That's two different things. Transcript from Rush's show
This is me on May 30th, and this is what I said about this.

RUSH ARCHIVE: There are these rumors circulating ? and I don?t know if this is true, but there are a number of people suggesting ? and I first heard this, by the way, when I was gone Monday and Tuesday of last week.

RUSH: Okay, stop the tape, stop the tape. That would have May 14th and 15th or whatever when I was out there playing Torrey Pines, so the middle of May. That?s when I first heard this. What is it now? June the 12th. So this is about a month ago that I said this, and all of a sudden now this becomes front-page news, thanks to the AP and the Drive-By Media.

I thought the idea was to expose propaganda for what it really is. In other words, some people are claiming that Rush Limbaugh said a tape exists, but the truth is that Rush was only talking about rumors he heard? Am I interpreting this incorrectly?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tvarad
I was just curious. How does the introduction of individual retirement plans like the 401(K), IRAs etc. alter the picture? I mean, are there any studies on whether they will cushion the impact of lower/non-existent future Social Security payouts?

Probably doesn't since introduction of those also goes with the collapse of pension plans.

Feb 16, 2005
Good. I'm sorry Mr Obama had to do this, but it was very well played. We don't need those swiftboat-type fucktards and their followers doing to Mr Obama what they did to Mr Kerry. Kerry should have attacked those sacks of crap hard from the start. Good to see him cinch the shitbag shut, now if he'd take on faux news and their bullshit...

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Someone forgot to tell Obama he already has a website to fight the smears. Its called digg. The users there are total sycophants.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Corbett
Someone forgot to tell Obama he already has a website to fight the smears. Its called digg. The users there are total sycophants.

The 'liberal internet' strikes again eh? Maybe they are in line with the 'liberal wikipedia' people. ConservaDigg here we come!

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Corbett

The 'liberal internet' strikes again eh? Maybe they are in line with the 'liberal wikipedia' people. ConservaDigg here we come!

Who said anything about "liberal internet"? Anyone that knows the first thing on Digg knows how much that site is used to stomp on anyone opposing Obama.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Good website, very smart. Obama is approaching this election really deftly and won't go down easy to GOP smears like that sissy Kerry. The right wing just seems to be making itself look really slimy and pathetic with all their stupid accusations and "terrorist fist jab" bullshit.

Between his policy positions, his primary campaign strategy and now this, Obama is proving himself to be a master tactician. Damn its going to be nice to have a keen and intelligent president again.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Hafen
Good website, very smart. Obama is approaching this election really deftly and won't go down easy to GOP smears like that sissy Kerry. The right wing just seems to be making itself look really slimy and pathetic with all their stupid accusations and "terrorist fist jab" bullshit.

Between his policy positions, his primary campaign strategy and now this, Obama is proving himself to be a master tactician. Damn its going to be nice to have a keen and intelligent president again.

Umm, many of these smears came from Democratic supporters in the Hillary camp. The "Whitey" tape in particular came from left-wing Hillary supporter Larry Johnson.

It might help the 'master tactician' to use correct facts on his fact check page as well since, as I mentioned before, they have Limbaugh saying something he clearly did not say.