Obama is holding off on releasing HIS plan for the economy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Funny how when Bush hasnt come out with a plan immediately during or after something, poeple said he was ignorant and couldnt plan his way out of a wet paper bag. Now its called pragmaticism :confused:

Its funny to start reading on page 4 or something after reading the OP...it degenerates so quickly,,,

"is out of his mind and asking the wrong question at the wrong time."
"We can always count on on Prof John for masterpieces of miss the obvious like this"
"You lying fraud."
"but this was a poor effort child."
"OP = Mega Moron "
" but thanks for more of your lies."
"More of PJ's bullshit propoganda"
"Get a clue."
"And lots of your bullshit"
"it seems every time that old Crank (OP) opens his mouth he says something he regrets."

In the spirit of the degeneration, you guys are like fucking kindergartners. Absolutely moronic, incable of intelligent debate. And I wonder why I dont post much anymore.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Funny how when Bush hasnt come out with a plan immediately during or after something, poeple said he was ignorant and couldnt plan his way out of a wet paper bag. Now its called pragmaticism :confused:

Its funny to start reading on page 4 or something after reading the OP...it degenerates so quickly,,,

"We can always count on on Prof John for masterpieces of miss the obvious like this"
"You lying fraud."
"OP = Mega Moron "
"Get a clue."
"it seems every time that old Crank (OP) opens his mouth he says something he regrets."

In the spirit of the degeneration, you guys are like fucking kindergartners. Absolutely moronic, incable of intelligent debate. And I wonder why I dont post much anymore.

Liberals always lose on debate. Their ideas are as worthless as the subprime on Lehman's books.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

It's gotten steadily worse since the end of the primaries. At least the RP stuff used to be a fun diversion.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi

It's gotten steadily worse since the end of the primaries. At least the RP stuff used to be a fun diversion.

Well whatever. I suggest we create what many other boards have-a flame room. But then, if we keep flames out, this place would be friggin empty.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

"You lying fraud."
"OP = Mega Moron "
"Get a clue."

STFU, you arrogant puss. If you have something to say, say it, but don't tell us how smart you are when you clearly aren't. Clinton and the Republican Congress started this mess and Bush made it worse. His plan is the problem so Paulson and Bernanke are trying to fix each problem one at a time. The next President is the one that will have to take an overview of this problem and I hope they take their time to think it through. Considering McCain picked Palin for political expediency rather than to lead, I'm not surprised that his solutions are politically motivated, rather than based on common sense.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I guess a trillion dollar financial situation can easily be decided based off of the cuff without any major discussion with economic advisors and decided without real considerations on this once in a century economic crisis... Leave it to him to decide on such matters.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Vic
Yes. It's also traditionally respectful to the current administration and sitting President for a candidate to let them present their policy proposals to a crisis first. Bush might be a lame duck, but he is still the President.
Give me a break!

All of a sudden you guys respect Bush?? :roll:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Yes. It's also traditionally respectful to the current administration and sitting President for a candidate to let them present their policy proposals to a crisis first. Bush might be a lame duck, but he is still the President.
Give me a break!

Always twisting words is just another form of lying, PJ. I did not say I respected Bush.

But then, you already twisted words in your OP when you intentionally overlooked that Obama hadn't released his plan because Paulson and Bernanke asked him not to.

"Given the gravity of this situation, and based on conversations I have had with both Secretary Paulson and Chairman Bernanke, I have asked my economic team to refrain from presenting a more detailed blue-print of how an immediate plan might be structured until the Treasury and the Federal Reserve have had an opportunity to present their proposal."

I mean, seriously, must you be such a lying POS all the time?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

If people would stop feeding the troll he'd simply die under his bridge. Again, he doesn't take himself seriously so no one else here should either.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ericlp
here's Obama's plan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZVKE0cnK8&eurl

Way better the Mcsames...

McCain says the Feds should not bail out businesses. Does this man even have a clue? Who is advising him on economic matters?

How are you going to have a strong dollar (as he wants) if there are a series of continuing failures of financial institutions? One of the ways a strong dollar will happen is if there are sound institutions to attract money into the country. Or your exports are more than your imports.

There's a lot of us who would not like to see wall street rewarded for their bad decisions or rash behavior, but recognize the alternative is a lot worse.

McCain says Fed should stop government bailouts

By BETH FOUHY
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Republican John McCain said Friday the Federal Reserve needs to stop bailing out failed financial institutions. The Republican presidential hopeful said the Fed should get back to "its core business of responsibly managing our money supply and inflation" and he laid out several recommendations for stabilizing markets in the financial crisis that has rocked Wall Street and commanded the dialogue in the presidential campaign.

McCain made little mention of the massive proposal being crafted by Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson that could amount to a $1 trillion taxpayer bailout of the mortgage industry. McCain said simply that leaders should put aside partisan differences and "any action should be designed to keep people in their homes and safeguard the life savings of all Americans."

The Fed engineered an $85 billion takeover of insurance giant AIG this week after seizing control of housing giants Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. McCain said that to help return the U.S. to fiscal solvency, the powerful central bank should instead focus on shoring up the dollar and keeping inflation low.

"A strong dollar will reduce energy and food prices," McCain said to applause from the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce. "It will stimulate sustainable economic growth and get this economy moving again."

In the speech and later at a boisterous rally in Minnesota, McCain sharply criticized Democratic rival Barack Obama for ties to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae and for advocating tax increases McCain said would "turn a recession into a depression."

Obama has said he would raise taxes on people making over $250,000 a year and would cut taxes on the middle class. McCain restated his claim that Obama had voted to raise taxes on people who make just $42,000 a year - a claim that has been widely debunked by nonpartisan fact check organizations.

McCain noted the Illinois senator had taken large campaign contributions from both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and that the one-time head of Obama's vice presidential search team, Jim Johnson, had received a $21 million severance deal after stepping down as Fannie Mae CEO. McCain's campaign released a new television ad Friday hitting Obama for his connection to Johnson.

The Arizona senator neglected to say that some of his closest advisers had ties to or lobbied for the home loan giants.

McCain is correct when he says Obama is the No. 2 recipient of campaign money from employees of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Obama has collected $126,349 from those sources, according to a compilation by the Center for Responsive Politics, second only to Senate Banking Committee Chairman Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., who has received $165,400. The ranking covers the period since 1989.

In Minnesota, the mention of Johnson's severance deal brought loud chants from thousands of McCain supporters who filled an airport hangar. "Give it back! Give it back!" they shouted.

McCain renewed his call for tighter regulation of financial markets, even though he has generally championed deregulation throughout his career in the Senate and as chairman of the influential Commerce Committee.

He called Securities and Exchange Commission Chris Cox a "good man" but reiterated his view that Cox should step down or be fired, saying there needed to be greater accountability in Washington.

McCain said as president he would create a Mortgage and Financial Institutions Trust to help homeowners avoid foreclosure. He said he would propose and sign into law changes to prevent financial firms from concealing "bad practices."

Throughout the week, McCain and Obama have tangled over which candidate is better to steer the U.S. out of its financial crisis. One investment giant, Lehman Brothers, collapsed this week and another, Merrill Lynch, was purchased by rival Bank of America for less than half its value.

McCain spokesman Matt McDonald said the campaign was reviewing the Paulson plan and McCain had not yet taken a position on it. "He's supportive that there are steps being taken," he said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/...risis.html?source=mypi

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Jon McCain was for deregulation before he was against it.
John McCain - Which way the wind is blowing?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

"You lying fraud."
"OP = Mega Moron "
"Get a clue."

Dude, Bush has to come up with a plan quickly because he's the president. The candidates need to wait and see what the president does, then they can know what they need to do to fix it.

All of those criticisms of Pro-Jo are justified too. Most of the time he will just drop in, link an article, interpret it wrong or hack-ishly, and then barely show up to defend it. (usually with one line replies, etc.) It's not like this is something new, this guy has been doing it for quite awhile. When you get a reputation as bad as his, these sort of things happen.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Pssst, I was refering to McCain not ProJo. As far as I can tell ProJo doesn't regret anything he says.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Give me a break!

Always twisting words is just another form of lying, PJ. I did not say I respected Bush.

But then, you already twisted words in your OP when you intentionally overlooked that Obama hadn't released his plan because Paulson and Bernanke asked him not to.

"Given the gravity of this situation, and based on conversations I have had with both Secretary Paulson and Chairman Bernanke, I have asked my economic team to refrain from presenting a more detailed blue-print of how an immediate plan might be structured until the Treasury and the Federal Reserve have had an opportunity to present their proposal."

How do you reach that conclusion? (The bolded part)

I see NOTHING that suggests Paulson or Bernake asked him to keep quiet.

Dec 30, 2004
With Volker as his economic adviser I figured he'd be a bit more vocal.

You know PJ, I would attack Obama not on his "lack of leadership" but how we know from this that Obama most likely hasn't a clue how the economy is supposed to be run.

McCain seems to have a pretty good idea.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Give me a break!

This is beyond the pale even for you, PJ. We face a crisis that truly dwarfs the events of 9/11, like it or not.

If the Obama camp said anything at this point, it'd undermine the efforts of Paulson, Bernanke and congress to act in a constructive fashion. You see nothing because you're willfully blind, and put the whole thing in your usual perspective because you're willfully obtuse on top of that... seeking once again to use a national tragedy for partisan political gain.

The exploitation of 9/11 was shameful, and any attempt to exploit this is even moreso.

There's no pie in the sky painless exit from this mess- we'll have plenty of time on down the road to assess blame. Right now, the boat is sinking, and we all need to bail together.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
With Volker as his economic adviser I figured he'd be a bit more vocal.

You know PJ, I would attack Obama not on his "lack of leadership" but how we know from this that Obama most likely hasn't a clue how the economy is supposed to be run.

McCain seems to have a pretty good idea.

John McCain has a pretty good idea? That's rich. He publicly states 'the fundamentals of our economy are strong' then later says 'Our economy in crisis'. Which is it, John?

He sounds confused to me.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Umm... Funny how all of what he has planned over the past seven and a half years, including deregulation of the markets and the complete failure of his adminstration to use the remaining oversight they have, has led us to this foreseeable and predicted financial disaster.

Clue -- John McCain has said repeatedly that he favors the very deregulation and failure of oversight that the Bushwhacko administration has given us.

Clue -- It wasn't Obama's job to be President since 2000. That was your Traitor In Chief's job, and he's failed.

Fixing this economy won't be an easy job, if it can be done at all, and thanks to your Traitor In Chief, it will not be painless for the American people, but trusting a tired, failed old man who pimps the same tired, failed old policies is not only stupid, it's economically suicidal for the nation.

Originally posted by: JS80

Liberals always lose on debate.

Republican crooks and liars always lose on reality when their bubble bursts. The saddest part of that is that they always bail out with their golden parachutes and leave the pain and losses to the rest of us. :|

Their ideas are as worthless as the subprime on Lehman's books.

That's why your reality checks are bouncing like the Bushwhackos' credibility. :thumbsdown:

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004

Time for a remedial reading class, ProfJohn. You can't even see what's in the link you posted.