Obama Health Care Penalty

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
351Cleveland, answer the question about the comparison to education.

No, I dont believe government should force public education on children. I do believe the government has a role in providing access to education, but forcing children into a public school system is wrong.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Well, much like they aren't forcing public eduction, but are requiring you to pay and are requiring education to occur one way or another, Obama isn't forcing you into any particular plan - just requiring that the coverage is there. It's really remarkably similar, just on a national level, not a state/local level. I'd prefer to see something like this occur at the state level myself, but in general, I still don't see the reason for outcry.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Well, much like they aren't forcing public eduction, but are requiring you to pay and are requiring education to occur one way or another, Obama isn't forcing you into any particular plan - just requiring that the coverage is there. It's really remarkably similar, just on a national level, not a state/local level. I'd prefer to see something like this occur at the state level myself, but in general, I still don't see the reason for outcry.

And I disagree with that. They require education. I refer back to my whole "freedom" rant. Let me decide what my child should and shouldnt learn. Education is good, and I will make that same decision on my own, but it shouldnt be mandated or legislated. I dont remember education being a right or an obligation with the founding of the country. Same with healthcare. Healthcare is good. I will provide healthcare to my family. I shouldnt have the government TELLING me that I HAVE to do it. I reject that notion in its entirety. We can discuss OFFERING health care from government agencies (I wont advocate it, but I will listen), but as far as fining me for NOT having coverage? No.

As far as paying for it... yes, people will always have to pay for public services. I dont know where you are going with that.