Obama gives candid opinion on Pot Prohibition (says it doesn't work).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
you realize there's studies and scientific data right? lol

Yep. And I 100% agree that there is no good reason for weed to be banned.

However this thread sited none of those. Its another "Obama says its good, so it must be good" thread. The truth is his biography was full of tales of him getting high. He admitted that his drug abuse hurt his schooling. So I don't really know where he becomes an expert on the subject.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Prohibition of any kind does not work period. From drugs, to firearms, prostitution, to prohibiting the sale of rhino horns or elephant tusks, etc. All you do is drive the demand underground to seek out black market sources to fuel the supply. Instead of actually recognizing the actual demand there is for a given item or service and instead of developing a means to establish a healthy self-sustaining market you end up fueling rampant and destructive blackmarket that is always controlled by a criminal element in society.

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I hear pot smoking gives a guy man boobs.
Maybe a plus if it did the same to women?
But I don't want my boss hitting on me AND his secretary all n the same afternoon.
Oh Mr Smith, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?

Feb 6, 2007
Obama admitted he abused drugs.

Where? I haven't read Dreams of my Father, but the quotes I can find from the book about his drug use mention occasional casual use; he doesn't use the word "abuse" as far as I can find. The only sources I can find that use the term "abuse" in reference to Obama's drug history cite this exact quote from Dreams of my Father: "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it." That doesn't read as "abuse" to me, it reads as occasional use.

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
Yep. And I 100% agree that there is no good reason for weed to be banned.

However this thread sited none of those. Its another "Obama says its good, so it must be good" thread. The truth is his biography was full of tales of him getting high. He admitted that his drug abuse hurt his schooling. So I don't really know where he becomes an expert on the subject.

Does a specific study really need to be cited at this point? It's widely known that it's a less dangerous drug than alcohol. Obama even mentioned the 'science', though didn't cite anything specifically.

This statement would be positive and significant, even if GWB was saying the words. It should be an issue that both R's and D's should be able to get behind.

BTW, for a self-proclaimed 'independent', you sound like a tea party nut job most of the time.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Where? I haven't read Dreams of my Father, but the quotes I can find from the book about his drug use mention occasional casual use; he doesn't use the word "abuse" as far as I can find. The only sources I can find that use the term "abuse" in reference to Obama's drug history cite this exact quote from Dreams of my Father: "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it." That doesn't read as "abuse" to me, it reads as occasional use.

Ok. You must be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zvQ2gzols

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Does a specific study really need to be cited at this point? It's widely known that it's a less dangerous drug than alcohol. Obama even mentioned the 'science', though didn't cite anything specifically.

This statement would be positive and significant, even if GWB was saying the words. It should be an issue that both R's and D's should be able to get behind.

BTW, for a self-proclaimed 'independent', you sound like a tea party nut job most of the time.

Please show me once when I claimed to be independent?

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Obama admitted he abused drugs.

And this is worse than GWB, who used cocaine throughout the 70s and 80s and lied about it later?

Obama is doing the right thing. Libertarians should see that this is good, even if you hate Obama. Only people who don't get this are the idiot social conservatives high on Percocet like you.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
And this is worse than GWB, who used cocaine throughout the 70s and 80s and lied about it later?

Obama is doing the right thing. Libertarians should see that this is good, even if you hate Obama. Only people who don't get this are the idiot social conservatives high on Percocet like you.

Personal attack on me and a Bush comparison.

You libtards really need to refresh your playbook

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
Personal attack on me and a Bush comparison.

You libtards really need to refresh your playbook
I wonder how it feels to have your views on society be so reviled by so many people. It's hilarious to me that every single thing happening besides school shootings is an example of your worldview collapsing.

Marijuana is going to be legal all over the US within 10 years. You mad bro?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I wonder how it feels to have your views on society be so reviled by so many people. It's hilarious to me that every single thing happening besides school shootings is an example of your worldview collapsing.

Marijuana is going to be legal all over the US within 10 years. You mad bro?

Is it that you can't read or are you just too stupid to process the words?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Iunno

We used to buy them in Canada all the time. Maybe the hat banned them too?

Where are our resident eskimos? We need some expert opinions!
Oh, I'm sure you could still buy them in Canada. I do not think Canadians could handle the level of irony implicit in banning Communist Cuban products when 90% of retail goods are made in Communist China.

I hear pot smoking gives a guy man boobs.
Maybe a plus if it did the same to women?
But I don't want my boss hitting on me AND his secretary all n the same afternoon.
Oh Mr Smith, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?
LOL

The only issues both Republican and Democrat politicians can get behind involve placing a boot on the necks of American citizens.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obama pussyfoots around it, because he needs Repubs help in other areas.

If cannabis use were truly harmful in the same ways as alcohol, tobacco & harder drugs, its detractors would have scientific proof to that effect, when in fact they do not. An enormous % of the population has used it over the last 45 years, some basically the whole time, and all the detractors can give us are "concerns" & "studies" not based on real life in the slightest.

They also give us ridiculous incarceration rates and enormous drug enforcement budgets to suppress what really is a relatively harmless pastime.

I really wish Obama would talk less about it rather than more, just so the issue doesn't attract the usual Obama hate, which is quite evident in this thread.

He's not driving this at all- he can't do so effectively. The people are driving this in a real grass roots fashion. That undoubtedly causes some consternation in the astroturf factories of the Right, the same set & headset that has formulated anti-cannabis propaganda for decades.

What he and Holder have done to hold the DEA at bay while this unfolds in CO & WA is all that's required at the federal level for the time being. It is profoundly and irrevocably pro-legalization, even if nobody but me ever says so. If any other state sets up the same sort of framework, they'll get the same treatment.

I have every reason to believe that legalization in Colorado will be a tremendous success with the good dwarfing whatever bad may come of it. It's sound policy, and we're out to prove it.