Obama finally throws Rev. Wright under the bus

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
"his comments were not only divisive, and destructive, but they give comfort to those who prey on hate, and they do not portray accurately on my values and beliefs"

was just on his live speech minutes ago. will hopefully be on major news outlets shortly.

Kudos to Obama for doing the right thing here, the hope is that obama can put this behind him.

Obama also said "I may not know him as well as I thought"

still plenty of fuel for the fire, but it is now diminished.

Are obama supporters outraged that Obama decided to do this? Should Obama have stayed quiet about this, and not thrown him under the bus?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Obama's just doing what a politician does. he's finally disowning Wright with the hopes that it'll be a non-issue in October.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Too late, the damage is done and the attack ads will still run in the fall.

Obama should have done this when this whole mess started, but he is 'weak' as people keep pointing out and didn't want to hurt anyones feelings.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's also been a non-issue IMO, like when Bush's pastor called him "America's Moses" back in 2000. Religious leaders and controversy go together like bread and butter.

Although it has been amusing to watch the Republicans attack the religious vote. I was kind of hoping that would escalate.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Obama should have done this when this whole mess started, but he is 'weak' as people keep pointing out and didn't want to hurt anyones feelings.

Heh... not the attack ads, Br'er Fox. Anything but the attack ads.

It's only April and the Pubs have shot their wad against Obama already. So sad, too bad. The only thing they can do from here is racist spin and attacks on religious freedom, and kiss goodbye to half the South in the GE.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: daveymark
Are obama supporters outraged that Obama decided to do this?

Unless "this" refers to holding down a baby and stabbing it in the gut with a butter knife, the answer to your question will always be a resounding "No."

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
It's also been a non-issue
It seems the only person voting for obama who thinks it's an issue is obama...
Should he be like your hero President Bush and keep his head permanently stuck up his ass? High gas prices? Huh? What? Where?
Or should he be like your hero Senator McCain and wage endless war and murder? Is that more your personal brand of religion?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Should he be like your hero President Bush and keep his head permanently stuck up his ass? High gas prices? Huh? What? Where?
Or should he be like your hero Senator McCain and wage endless war and murder? Is that more your personal brand of religion?

Dave, did you hack Vic's account? Please give it back.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

It's only April and the Pubs have shot their wad against Obama already. So sad, too bad. The only thing they can do from here is racist spin and attacks on religious freedom, and kiss goodbye to half the South in the GE.

with the amount of hope and dreaming in that post, I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't written by moonbeam :p

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

with the amount of hope and dreaming in that post, I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't written by moonbeam :p

:laugh: BO's likely win in NC (though narrowed to only 12pts as of latest polls) is amusing since the state will go red anyway.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Unless "this" refers to holding down a baby and stabbing it in the gut with a butter knife, the answer to your question will always be a resounding "No."

Of course when it's a damned-if-you-damned-if-you-don't situation. I'd think you'd know this given how well and how willingly you play this usual Republican game of expecting Democrats to be weak and apologetic, and them being able to judge in hypocritical splendor.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Of course when it's a damned-if-you-damned-if-you-don't situation. I'd think you'd know this given how well and how willingly you play this usual Republican game of expecting Democrats to be weak and apologetic, and them being able to judge in hypocritical splendor.

"He disputed characterizations of Wright as his mentor saying: ?He was never my spiritual adviser, he was never my spiritual mentor ? he was my pastor.?"

Holy crap. The guy who brought him to Jesus was never his spiritual mentor? That's not spin, that's a tornado.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Obama's just doing what a politician does. he's finally disowning Wright with the hopes that it'll be a non-issue in October.

Just like politician MCain disowned the far more hateful, bigoted Hagee. Oh, wait.

Matilda

Apr 24, 2006
it needed to be done. i'm glad he did. his comments before were honest, but not what people needed to hear. now with all that wright has spouted off in the last few days, it was time to cut the connection once and for all.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Lies and FUD, lies and FUD, lies and FUD, lies and FUD.

At least you're consistent.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87

Dave, did you hack Vic's account? Please give it back.

I think my comments are completely fair in context. You're attacking Obama through association, while your own politicians are guilty by direct involvement. I hate your childish little game, particularly your prick passive aggressive way of defending it and denying it, but in the meantime what's happening is pathetically transparent.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
He disputed characterizations of Wright as his mentor saying: ?He was never my spiritual adviser, he was never my spiritual mentor ? he was my pastor.?

I'm sure he described Wright as the man who "calibrated his moral compass"??

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...0,7064380.story?page=1

Obama says that rather than advising him on strategy, Wright helps keep his priorities straight and his moral compass calibrated.

"What I value most about Pastor Wright is not his day-to-day political advice," Obama said. "He's much more of a sounding board for me to make sure that I am speaking as truthfully about what I believe as possible and that I'm not losing myself in some of the hype and hoopla and stress that's involved in national politics."

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234

Just like politician MCain disowned the far more hateful, bigoted Hagee. Oh, wait.

Exactly, Hagee was McCain's pastor for 20 years, married him to his wife, baptised his children, brought him to Jesus and baptised him. Oh, wait.

Obama said he could no more disown Wright than he could his grandma. Now that he's disowned Wright, I guess a call to the old lady is in order if she's still around.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Seems like Obama is handling this issue very well.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I hope Wright runs for president.

BTW, I can't believe Prof John is defending the Tuskegee experiments. That's going too far!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Exactly, Hagee was McCain's pastor for 20 years, married him to his wife, baptised his children, brought him to Jesus and baptised him. Oh, wait.

So.... ? And now you're back to attacking religion again. And not just any religion, but mainline Protestant Evangelical Christianity.

Wright has done that for tens of thousands of other people as well. He's had highly successful ministry for 30+ years. In fact, one of the largest black congregations in America of one of the largest evangelical churches in America.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not a repub or dem stooge fanboi, I call'em as I see'um, and this issue is just not going to go away. It's Obama's undoing, and no amount of backpedaling and distancing is going to save him. Right now I'd put my money on Hillary getting the nomination. By coming out and speaking publicly like Wright did over the past couple of days, he's hurt Obama immensely, he's simply confirming the deep fears that many blue collar whites have about electing a black candidate. Many of them were willing to go with Obama because he seems like a guy that is ready to move past all that stuff, but his affiliation with Wright is terrible. Wright is exactly what white people in the US will not vote for. Hillary vs McCain it is.... still too close to call that one.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
I hope Wright runs for president.

BTW, I can't believe Prof John is defending the Tuskegee experiments. That's going too far!
What the hell are you talking about?

I don't believe that posting outright lies are acceptable on this forum.