Obama event draws 100,000 in Missouri

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
That is quite a number.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/...00_people.html?showall

100,000 people

Barack Obama apparently attracted more people to his rally today in St. Louis than to his August acceptance speech at Invesco Field in Denver.

Lt. Samuel Dotson of the St. Louis Police Department placed the crowd count at 100,000 people, according to the campaign.

"All I can say is, 'Wow,'" Obama said just after taking the stage underneath the Gatway Arch.
Politico called Dotson to confirm the crowd figure but has not yet heard back.

If the number is verified, it would be Obama's largest American crowd, second only to the 200,000 people who turned out for his speech in Berlin, Germany, and more than the 80,000 people who attended his Democratic National Convention speech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
RCP has Missouri at +2.5 for Obama.

Might be closer to +5 on election day if this holds true.

Damn.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Mizzou is a swing state, will be interesting to see how the final weeks play out. 100,000 is a lot of people for a small city.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Did they have a free concert there, too? The other high turnouts seem to have kind of been a sham. Free food and popular bands.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Tab
Wish I lived in a swing state :(

There is a decent chance that ND will swing blue. RCP has moved it into "toss-up" status.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Tab
Wish I lived in a swing state :(

There is a decent chance that ND will swing blue. RCP has moved it into "toss-up" status.
Yep, pollster.com is showing a 3.6 pt Obama lead. Interesting polling graph there since Rasmussen reported a month ago that McCain had a 14 pt lead.

Fivethirtyeight.com's latest poll by Research 2000 shows a DEAD TIE of 45-45.
Oh -- and another poll shows a dead heat in North Dakota. Our model remains a bit skeptical as Obama has not gained particularly much ground elsewhere in the Prairie region, but it's probably time for both the public pollsters and the campaigns to get out in the field and take the state's temperature.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's humbling to see how effective Obama's campaign truly is, when McCain is forced to defend states like ND and MO.

If McCain is spending ad dollars in ND and MO, how dire is the situation in former strongholds like VA and NC?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: Farang
Did they have a free concert there, too? The other high turnouts seem to have kind of been a sham. Free food and popular bands.

Maybe they were giving away these:

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-co...08/10/racist16_400.jpg

I'm not offended that just makes me really hungry

hehe. Enjoy it. I posted a thread on Obama Bucks

Except it immediately got locked.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

hehe. Enjoy it. I posted a thread on just about every political subject imaginable

:laugh:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Me too. It's been a while since I had ribs and ate at KFC (trying to watch my budget and diet). And it's been 10 years since I drank Kool-Aid.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

Me too. It's been a while since I had ribs and ate at KFC (trying to watch my budget and diet). And it's been 10 years since I drank Kool-Aid.

FYI not only racist but ignorant. You can't buy prepared food with food stamps.
So, strangely enough, you could only buy and drink the kool-aid.

:D

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I'm not sure if people realize the geography of this, but St. Louis is on the border with Illinois, where Obama is obviously pretty popular. I also drove across the river today while it was going on and it didn't look like there were nearly that many people there, though I may have been driving by a little before it got started (a little after 10 a.m.). I'm not sure how that's an appropriate use of a national monument, but it's certainly not the worst use of my tax dollars that the federal government will ever allow.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Dari

100,000 people

Photochopped

Looks the same as it did on TV. One heck of a crowd. As far as St. Louis being near IL, there are no large population centers in IL anywhere near St. Louis, is there? I drove that route once and remember nothing but farmland once I left Chicago.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Mizzou is a swing state, will be interesting to see how the final weeks play out. 100,000 is a lot of people for a small city.

Mizzo is normally solid red like Oklahoma.

I'm not sure why it would be in play this year except maybe St Louis is hurting.

I haven't been there all this year so maybe things went down fast.

Obama will not need North Carolina if he wins Missouri.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Thump553
Looks the same as it did on TV. One heck of a crowd. As far as St. Louis being near IL, there are no large population centers in IL anywhere near St. Louis, is there? I drove that route once and remember nothing but farmland once I left Chicago.
I don't have any numbers, but there are at least 100k people on the east side of the river between East St. Louis, Collinsville, Belleville, O'Fallon. Not many of these are strong D strongholds (East STL is probably the only one). I just pointed that out because three of the five people I knew at the rally were from the east side, so it's not necessarily accurate to extrapolate numbers at the rally to the MO electorate.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: Thump553
I don't have any numbers, but there are at least 100k people on the east side of the river between East St. Louis, Collinsville, Belleville, O'Fallon. Not many of these are strong D strongholds (East STL is probably the only one). I just pointed that out because three of the five people I knew at the rally were from the east side, so it's not necessarily accurate to extrapolate numbers at the rally to the MO electorate.

It must be the Dirty Chicago Political Machine that fibbed the numbers and hologrammed these people (who were really at a Palin Klan rally).