• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Obama event draws 100,000 in Missouri

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
5,623
2
81
Can someone explain to me why he's so fixated on gay men? I'm relatively new around here so I'm trying to adjust to the various nuances of the crazies.
 

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
6,938
5
81
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Can someone explain to me why he's so fixated on gay men? I'm relatively new around here so I'm trying to adjust to the various nuances of the crazies.
I can't decide if Buggerbean is a closet gay pedophile or someone's way over-the-edge parody persona.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Can someone explain to me why he's so fixated on gay men? I'm relatively new around here so I'm trying to adjust to the various nuances of the crazies.
Don't know and don't want to know (although, I have to admit to a vague, bloody car-wreck curiosity).

I might be worried about myself if I fully understood. My uneducated guess is that it has something to do with a domineering, authoritative mother and/or father - something that might be attributable to repugs in general.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Hmm, I wonder how he feels about Jews. We'd love to know :)
It appears to be a losing proposition to egg him on.

Probably best to ignore. And, I should follow my own advice.
 

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
13,819
1,124
126
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Maybe ACORN was passing out crack? BO hasn't had a big rally yet (staged photo ops really) where peeps weren't lured with something. Intelligent people aren't swayed by this rubbish. "Ooohhhh look at the big rally..BO must be really good" Hah US a third world freekin country now.
Do you even believe your own bitter bullshit, or is it that you just can't stop yourself from spewing due to some tragic but basic character flaw?
He is a parody poster. Nothing more, nothing less. He should be banned for that, not for his "views".
 

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Moderator
Jul 19, 2001
38,572
2
81
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Maybe ACORN was passing out crack? BO hasn't had a big rally yet (staged photo ops really) where peeps weren't lured with something. Intelligent people aren't swayed by this rubbish. "Ooohhhh look at the big rally..BO must be really good" Hah US a third world freekin country now.
I'm all for freedom of speech, but you're a fucking idiot.
 

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
12,348
1
81
Originally posted by: Dari
It must be the Dirty Chicago Political Machine that fibbed the numbers and hologrammed these people (who were really at a Palin Klan rally).
If literacy was your strong point, you would obviously observe that I never said there weren't 100k people there. I just said that they weren't all from Missouri. Idiot.
 

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
17,134
38
91
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: Dari
It must be the Dirty Chicago Political Machine that fibbed the numbers and hologrammed these people (who were really at a Palin Klan rally).
If literacy was your strong point, you would obviously observe that I never said there weren't 100k people there. I just said that they weren't all from Missouri. Idiot.

Originally posted by: CycloWizard
I'm not sure if people realize the geography of this, but St. Louis is on the border with Illinois, where Obama is obviously pretty popular. I also drove across the river today while it was going on and it didn't look like there were nearly that many people there, though I may have been driving by a little before it got started (a little after 10 a.m.). I'm not sure how that's an appropriate use of a national monument, but it's certainly not the worst use of my tax dollars that the federal government will ever allow.

 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
I'm not sure if people realize the geography of this, but St. Louis is on the border with Illinois, where Obama is obviously pretty popular. I also drove across the river today while it was going on and it didn't look like there were nearly that many people there, though I may have been driving by a little before it got started (a little after 10 a.m.). I'm not sure how that's an appropriate use of a national monument, but it's certainly not the worst use of my tax dollars that the federal government will ever allow.
Sorry, your protests demand a response. Maybe this was code for something of which I am unfamiliar.
 

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
12,348
1
81
So where did I say there weren't 100k people there? There certainly weren't at 10 a.m., which is when I drove by, which happens to be what I said and both of you quoted, apparently without comprehension.
 

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
17,134
38
91
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
So where did I say there weren't 100k people there? There certainly weren't at 10 a.m., which is when I drove by, which happens to be what I said and both of you quoted, apparently without comprehension.
You slithered your posts with qualifications but the underlying point was one of doubt and questionable usage of a fucking park. No need to be so defensive as we both know what you were trying to do.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
So where did I say there weren't 100k people there? There certainly weren't at 10 a.m., which is when I drove by, which happens to be what I said and both of you quoted, apparently without comprehension.
The op stated that there were 100k people. You then said "it didn't look like there were nearly that many people there".

But you are correct in that you did not say "it didn't look like there were 100k people there".

Impasse.
 

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
5,623
2
81
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
So where did I say there weren't 100k people there? There certainly weren't at 10 a.m., which is when I drove by, which happens to be what I said and both of you quoted, apparently without comprehension.
The op stated that there were 100k people. You then said "it didn't look like there were nearly that many people there".

But you are correct in that you did not say "it didn't look like there were 100k people there".

Impasse.
Fucking owned.
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
So where did I say there weren't 100k people there? There certainly weren't at 10 a.m., which is when I drove by, which happens to be what I said and both of you quoted, apparently without comprehension.
The op stated that there were 100k people. You then said "it didn't look like there were nearly that many people there".

But you are correct in that you did not say "it didn't look like there were 100k people there".

Impasse.
Fucking owned.
Nah, he's technically correct.
 

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
10,914
3
0
I would have defended CycloWizard because from what I read the crowd extended past the contained area the photos imply (like into the trees on the right) so if you counted every head in that picture it might not add up to 100k. But he lied and backtracked and then call someone an idiot, and the comment on the use of a national monument is pretty ridiculous. What, are candidates supposed to only have rallies on federal land in the middle of nowhere? Or would that be a misuse of federal land? Or should they buy land to use for campaigning?
 

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
5,281
0
0
Originally posted by: Farang
I would have defended CycloWizard because from what I read the crowd extended past the contained area the photos imply (like into the trees on the right) so if you counted every head in that picture it might not add up to 100k. But he lied and backtracked and then call someone an idiot, and the comment on the use of a national monument is pretty ridiculous. What, are candidates supposed to only have rallies on federal land in the middle of nowhere? Or would that be a misuse of federal land? Or should they buy land to use for campaigning?
And then, there's this...
 

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
20,984
2
0
I hate crowds, regardless if I agree with them or not, get a 100,000 people together and I am going to drive the other way.

Do the math, if each and every one of the voters got the same one on one time as Joe the plumber, it would have take more than one full year to complete the rally.
 

Deliximus

Senior member
Aug 11, 2001
318
0
76
wow...what a sight that must've been. Can you guys imagine the crowd for Obama's inauguration (if he wins!) in DC?
 

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
12,348
1
81
There weren't 100k people there at 10 a.m. Is anyone going to challenge that, which was my original statement? I really doubt it, since it's easier to stick to strawmen and you all combined apparently don't have the mental capacity to combine thoughts from two consecutive sentences.

As far as the use of a national monument for a partisan political rally, it's improper. A partisan political rally is essentially a private event. Thus, the thousands of people who would have visited the arch, park area, riverfront, and associated museums yesterday would have been unable to do so because of what amounts to a private party. St. Louis is a city that will kick out the general public in a heartbeat for someone who throws enough money at them (hell, they even closed the zoo for some rich bastard's party this summer). However, the arch, park, riverfront, and museum are a federal monument. The land and its facilities don't belong to the Democratic party. Why should they be able to close it? If I had been in from out of town on vacation and was planning on going to the arch on Saturday (which is, of course, its busiest day of the week due to tourism), I would be F'ing pissed that it was closed so some douchebags could have a political rally on my land.
 

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
9,734
53
91
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
There weren't 100k people there at 10 a.m. Is anyone going to challenge that, which was my original statement? I really doubt it, since it's easier to stick to strawmen and you all combined apparently don't have the mental capacity to combine thoughts from two consecutive sentences.

As far as the use of a national monument for a partisan political rally, it's improper. A partisan political rally is essentially a private event. Thus, the thousands of people who would have visited the arch, park area, riverfront, and associated museums yesterday would have been unable to do so because of what amounts to a private party. St. Louis is a city that will kick out the general public in a heartbeat for someone who throws enough money at them (hell, they even closed the zoo for some rich bastard's party this summer). However, the arch, park, riverfront, and museum are a federal monument. The land and its facilities don't belong to the Democratic party. Why should they be able to close it? If I had been in from out of town on vacation and was planning on going to the arch on Saturday (which is, of course, its busiest day of the week due to tourism), I would be F'ing pissed that it was closed so some douchebags could have a political rally on my land.
Do you even live in st. louis? Most of us thank the gods for any reason to bring people downtown.

And your comment about the St. Louis Zoo closing it's doors for a wedding is baloney. Admission is free so who is to complain?
 

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
9,734
53
91
There weren't 100k people there at 10 a.m. Is anyone going to challenge that, which was
That is a moot point. Gates didn't even open until 10:15 and Obama was scheduled to speak at 12:00

That's like saying there weren't 100k people there at 3:00 in the morning

 

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
39,234
699
126
Originally posted by: mizzou
There weren't 100k people there at 10 a.m. Is anyone going to challenge that, which was
That is a moot point. Gates didn't even open until 10:15 and Obama was scheduled to speak at 12:00

That's like saying there weren't 100k people there at 3:00 in the morning
:laugh:
 

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
12,348
1
81
Originally posted by: mizzou
Do you even live in st. louis? Most of us thank the gods for any reason to bring people downtown.
I've been a resident of St. Louis City (Skinker-Debaliviere neighborhood) for just over 4 years. And I don't see why it's ok to close a national monument just to raise a little tax revenue by bringing people into the downtown area.
And your comment about the St. Louis Zoo closing it's doors for a wedding is baloney. Admission is free so who is to complain?
Me - I'm complaining. It's free because it's endowed by private donors, just like everything else in Forest Park. I don't think the guys who donated money decades ago would appreciate the zoo closing its doors so some muckity mucks can have a party at the expense of families who are there to see the animals from all over the midwest. The zoo is for everyone - that's the point of the endowment. It's free to enforce that, not the other way around.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY