Obama effigy found hanging on Oregon university campus

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Story

NEWBERG, Ore. (AP) - Officials of a Christian university say a life-size effigy of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was hung from a tree on the campus.

George Fox University President Robin Baker says a custodian discovered the cardboard cutout of Obama early Tuesday at the Oregon school and removed it.

The effigy was accompanied by a message targeting participants of a minority student scholarship program called Act Six.

It read, "Act Six reject."

Baker says he met with the students in the Act Six program, who receive full scholarships, late Tuesday and plans to address the school's student body Wednesday.

Protesting something they disagree with is fine... But this is really a very stupid way to do it. If you want to get kicked out of the university this is a good way to do it.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I read this earlier and I thought 'How stupid can you be?' It don't take much intelligence to stop and think that maybe this might not be a good idea. Hope they find who did this and kick their asses out.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I heard about this. Definitely in poor taste.

With the comments about 'Christian university,' I want to remind people that George Fox was the founder of the Quaker religion, a pacifist Christian sect, that's about as far from the fundamentalist right as a church can be (short of the UU's, I guess).

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I went to high school a few miles from Newberg. Trust me when I say not only is this unsurprising, but entirely expected of such a shit hole town.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I was going to refrain from making comments about the 'townies' there. Newberg is an alright town... as long as you're one of the Intel commuters living on the north side. The rest is just a poor mill town.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
obviously done by a democrat

"God Damn America" .. Like black Americans have been so loved for GENERATIONS here and treated so fairly

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Why give them any publicity or attention, is my question.

I can see basic news coverage of it so it's in the record, but discussion?

It's a little like when someone yells the f word in polite company where it's in appropriate - should that become the topic for the evening?

There's a balance between having it reported to track that it happened, and not rewarding such behavior with the attention it wants.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I think it shames those freaks.. doesn't really give them any support

Tells the whole world that freaks like that still exist and to watchout for people like them on your local conservative radio programs

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yeah this is just filler.
If Hillary were chosen instead of Obama, we'd
be reading "Hillary effigy found hanging on Oregon university campus".
Best way to treat nut cases is to ignore nut cases.
Besides, they all have very tiny weenies and are laughed at by women.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Justice is served.

4 students at GFU confessed and were suspended for 1 year. They must complete community service and sensitivity education before they can return.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic

With the comments about 'Christian university,' I want to remind people that George Fox was the founder of the Quaker religion, a pacifist Christian sect, that's about as far from the fundamentalist right as a church can be (short of the UU's, I guess).

Pacifist Christianity is as fundamental as you can get. They are as close to Jesus's teachings.

The fundamentals you talk about are actually liberals - bending the meaning and picking and choosing from the Bible while ignoring Jesus's actual teachings.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80

Pacifist Christianity is as fundamental as you can get. They are as close to Jesus's teachings.

The fundamentals you talk about are actually liberals - bending the meaning and picking and choosing from the Bible while ignoring Jesus's actual teachings.

Pardon me for using contemporary definitions.

I agree with what you're saying (didn't we have a similar conversation a week or so ago?), but I think you'd get weird looks from people if you called Quakers fundamentalists and Pentecostals liberals.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
ya.. and someone in Chicago drew Sarah Palin nude... whats going on in America..

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

I agree with what you're saying (didn't we have a similar conversation a week or so ago?), but I think you'd get weird looks from people if you called Quakers fundamentalists and Pentecostals liberals.

As a fundamentalist christian i pardon you

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

*LIBERALS!! EVERYTHING BAD IN THE WORLD IS LIBERAL!*

Are you daft?! A "social liberal" is someone who lives and lets live, period, end of story.

Right now I see YOU picking and choosing, or twisting actually, the meaning of a term so you have no blame placed on yourself. It's not working though, dog.

Jesus Christ was a LIBERAL, a GOOD PERSON. A PEACE LOVING HIPPIE AND HE WAS KILLED BY SOCIAL DINOSAURS LIKE YOURSELF.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
They caught the four students. Apparently they are facing/have received substantial punishment from the school, but surprising Oregon doesn't have any applicable laws (like hate crime). The FBI is still investigating.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Justice is served.

4 students at GFU confessed and were suspended for 1 year. They must complete community service and sensitivity education before they can return.

That's not justice, that's a farce. Tasteless, low-class free speech is still free speech. Yes, the act was terrible, but it still should be protected. I miss the William Kunstler-type liberals (and civil libertarians).

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Who cares? People burn flag all the time and we get told it's just a piece of cloth. I don't see the big deal about hanging a piece of cardboard from a tree.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

As a fundamentalist christian i pardon you

I have a hard time believing you're a pacifist Christian :p

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Who cares? People burn flag all the time and we get told it's just a piece of cloth. I don't see the big deal about hanging a piece of cardboard from a tree.

It's kind of hard to explain using contemporary American thought, so bear with me. If you dispel all the modern religious preconceptions about Christianity (both pro and con), and look at the Gospels in a purely historical light, with a sincerely objective background, then you see that Christianity was originally a political movement against the Roman occupation of Greece, and in particular against the Romans' barbaric practice of crucifixion. The most certain evidence of this IMO was that after a Greek (technically a Thracian, but hey, let's not split hairs), Constantine, became Emperor of the Roman Empire, the first things that happened was he converted to Christianity (he was Mithraist before), legalized Christianity throughout the Empire, banned the practice of crucifixion, and moved the capital of the empire to Greece (Byzantium, later re-named Constantinople, now Istanbul).

Now you're like, what the hell does this mean in context to this thread. Well, in the 1960s, the author Robert Heinlein wrote a rather bizarre book, called Farnham's Freehold, in which a post-nuclear apocalypse world is dominated by blacks who kept whites as slaves. The tie-in is that the religion of these ruling blacks resembled Christianity is almost every way, except instead of the cross, the symbol of the religion was the gallows.
Hopefully, this gives you something to think about.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Justice is served.

That's not justice, that's a farce. Tasteless, low-class free speech is still free speech. Yes, the act was terrible, but it still should be protected. I miss the William Kunstler-type liberals (and civil libertarians).

Eugene is ultra left-wing even for Oregon. They make Portland look like Salt Lake City.

If they'd had a McCain effigy, they would've gotten the keys to the city or something.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Justice is served.

Eugene is ultra left-wing even for Oregon. They make Portland look like Salt Lake City.

If they'd had a McCain effigy, they would've gotten the keys to the city or something.

George Fox is in Newberg, just outside Portland.

And I think Mursilis is a touch confused. The punishments were meted out by the university, which has every right to restrict such speech on its private campus if it chooses to do so. It doesn't appear as though the students are going to face any legal prosecution, which IMO is also proper.

edit:
Originally posted by: Thump553
They caught the four students. Apparently they are facing/have received substantial punishment from the school, but surprising Oregon doesn't have any applicable laws (like hate crime). The FBI is still investigating.
Oregon's state constitution has the most sweeping free speech guarantees of any in the country. Even local laws against things like obscene gestures and nudie bars have been shot down as unconstitutional.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Justice is served.

George Fox is in Newberg, just outside Portland.

And I think Mursilis is a touch confused. The punishments were meted out by the university, which has every right to restrict such speech on its private campus if it chooses to do so. It doesn't appear as though the students are going to face any legal prosecution, which IMO is also proper.

I'm not the slightest bit confused; I understand the difference just fine. Yes, you're technically right, a private university is not constitutionally restricted from taking the action they did, but it's still not "justice", and it's pathetic an alleged liberal like JPeyton (clearly not a liberal in the traditional sense) would call it as such. If this had been a right-wing university suspending students for burning a Bush effigy or hanging it from a tree, I can only imagine JPeyton's howls of indignation. Universities, both private and public, imagine themselves to be epitomes of free and open thought, but it appears the PC movement is alive and well still. Offend certain protected people, and punishment will follow.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm not the slightest bit confused; I understand the difference just fine. Yes, you're technically right, a private university is not constitutionally restricted from taking the action they did, but it's still not "justice", and it's pathetic an alleged liberal like JPeyton (clearly not a liberal in the traditional sense) would call it as such. If this had been a right-wing university suspending students for burning a Bush effigy or hanging it from a tree, I can only imagine JPeyton's howls of indignation. Universities, both private and public, imagine themselves to be epitomes of free and open thought, but it appears the PC movement is alive and well still. Offend certain protected people, and punishment will follow.

I agree with what you're saying in part (you're right about jpeyton and I think you'd have a very valid point if this was a public university), except in this case I think it was the Quakers who were offended, and not the PC movement or a protected class of people.
Forget about jpeyton and put in perspective. The Quakers have a proud 300 year history of fighting for the rights of minorities, in particular leading the abolitionist movement to free the slaves in the US. Most people nowadays don't even know they still exist and bam! they pop back up on the national headlines with this?
Frankly, I think the students got off easy with a 1 year suspension from a private, religious university over something like this that goes against the very core of their beliefs.