Obama drafts executive order to close Gitmo

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
according to AP, details are sketchy. timeline set to be one year.

will be interesting to see where the prisoners are sent.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: daveymark

I think this has been the biggest issue thus far even with the Bush administration. The Bush admin has wanted to close that place down for a couple of years as well. But they want to prosecute some and send others away. The problem is some of them they want to send home, the host countries wont take. So what do you do with them? Drop them off on a desert island?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
There are certain things he has to do fast or else he'll be seen as a failure early on. Gitmo is definitely one of them. It may not be huge, relatively speaking, but it is something he said he'd close.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Crawford Texas would be a good place for them.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

I think this has been the biggest issue thus far even with the Bush administration. The Bush admin has wanted to close that place down for a couple of years as well. But they want to prosecute some and send others away. The problem is some of them they want to send home, the host countries wont take. So what do you do with them? Drop them off on a desert island?

Exactly. What many on the left fail to recognize. Whether it should have been set up at all is really what should be debated. The fact it was established and the Bush admin has wanted to close it down for some time is not generally discussed.

By establishing the camp, the Bush admin dug a hole they had difficulty getting out of. Other means of dealing with illegal enemy combatants existed and should have been used.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: dphantom

Exactly. What many on the left fail to recognize. Whether it should have been set up at all is really what should be debated. The fact it was established and the Bush admin has wanted to close it down for some time is not generally discussed.

By establishing the camp, the Bush admin dug a hole they had difficulty getting out of. Other means of dealing with illegal enemy combatants existed and should have been used.

Since most of them were picked up in Pakistan and Afghanistan, I'm sure our lawyers can find a way to force them to take these guys back.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Its not enough to say the Bush camp WANTED to close Gitmo but couldn't.

An Executive Order puts the process in motion in a way that probably will light a fire under peoples butts to figure out a solution.

I can't see that as a bad thing.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari

Since most of them were picked up in Pakistan and Afghanistan, I'm sure our lawyers can find a way to force them to take these guys back.

Some may have been picked up in those countries, but are not necessarily natives. They often come from other countries like Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Algeria, Chechnya and so forth. It's kind of hard to tell a sovereign nation to do something it does not want to do without twisting arms.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Crawford Texas would be a good place for them.

So would Massachusetts

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

Cute - everything has to be partisan like that. Its those stupid lefties!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

How can we force Pakistan or Afghanistan to take them back? The article I read this morning stated 40 detainee's cant be placed in any country. What do we do with them? I have to agree with dphantom on this. The Bush administration dug themselves a hole that I dont think even Obama can easily get out of.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
btw the article I read on cnn indicated he didnt order it closed. Only a stay on prosecutions for 120 days. But he does want to close it down.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Some may have been picked up in those countries, but are not necessarily natives. They often come from other countries like Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Algeria, Chechnya and so forth. It's kind of hard to tell a sovereign nation to do something it does not want to do without twisting arms.

That's my point but I was just trying to be diplomatic.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

How can we force Pakistan or Afghanistan to take them back? The article I read this morning stated 40 detainee's cant be placed in any country. What do we do with them? I have to agree with dphantom on this. The Bush administration dug themselves a hole that I dont think even Obama can easily get out of.

I bet we won't have to force them. I think a new American administration will probably make some countries a bit more compliant for a little while, and I could see them agreeing to take these sorts of prisoners as one of the things they might do. This would have been true for McCain as well had he chosen to close Gitmo.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
The answer is to get these issues away from politics of all stripes and put career legal professionals in charge of the whole issue. The Bush administration's constant attempt to reinvent the wheel is the root of the problem here, as it is across the board. When dealing with Terrorism, rejecting police work, traditional espionage Bush always tried to undermine or simply avoid American courts and jurisprudence instead replacing them a vision of Justice-by-Hack. Just as they insisted on governance by hack, prosecution by hack, occupation by hack etc.

To oversimplify the whole thing - don't look for new solutions, apply the principals of law and justice that have been the bedrock of American and Western European societies for centuries. Hand the prisoners over to the justice system.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Glad to hear it. I am sure the rest of the details will come in good time. Be patient guys. No need to jump to conclusions or get cynical yet.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Just Gitmo, well, better to deed the base back to Cuba and move the personal and hardware to Afganistan where it will do some good.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21

I say we give them a trial before deciding if they're guilty. :)

Heck even w/o a trial, for some reasons (IIRC) there doesn't seem to be any country that want these people. Peaches and cream.. not sure why other countries don't what them. its not like they radical killers bent on killing innocent civilians or anything... peaches and cream; and everything nice, yo...