Obama 'cancelled missions to kill bin Laden three times after getting cold feet'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Kind of the like unnamed source who said Romney has not paid any taxes in the last decade?

Anyway who is the person you see in front and engaged and who is the person you see tucked away in the corner?

879590-bin-laden-obama-war-room.jpg

Notice how its not a republican administration accomplishing anything in that photo. Like usual.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
How does Pblabber get away with criticizing the President when we are at war? He loves quoting the GOP talking heads that 4 years ago claimed that it was treasonous to disagree during a time of war.

I'm shocked, shocked, that the GOP would do a 180 and that pblabber would not stand for his principles and refuse to argue with our President while we are at war!

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
How does Pblabber get away with criticizing the President when we are at war? He loves quoting the GOP talking heads that 4 years ago claimed that it was treasonous to disagree during a time of war.

I'm shocked, shocked, that the GOP would do a 180 and that pblabber would not stand for his principles and refuse to argue with our President while we are at war!

You think someone like him has principles?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

You think someone like him has principles?

THE PJABBER PRINCIPLES (SHAMELESSLY COPIED FROM THE INTERWEBS, in accordance with these very same principles.)

1. Stop hiding who you really are

Take time to figure out what makes your DNA When it comes down to it, what do you stand for? And then, when you know who you are, turn up the volume!

“Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of someone else.” -Judy Garland, Actress

2. Start being intensely selfish

Get hungry for the things that are truly important to you. Think of the people you respect and love, the moments you relish, the impact that you want to have, the legacy you want to leave… bottom line: don’t waste your time on anything else.

“When you come right down to it, all you have is yourself. All the rest is nothing.” -Pablo Picasso, Artist

3. Stop following the rules

With the exception of gravity, almost all of the rules are negotiable. Someone just makes them up. It’s no longer about what you can’t do, it’s about what you can do.

“If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.” -Katherine Hepburn, Actress

4. Start scaring yourself

Explore the edges. Dip your toe in the bold, the outrageous, and the unthinkable. Seek out and have adventure.

“Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages. Bitter cold. Long months of complete darkness. Constant danger. Safe return doubtful.” -Ernest Shackleton, Explorer

5. Stop taking it all so damn seriously

In this moment, is it a life or death decision? In ten years, will you remember what you’re fretting about? In 100 years, will anyone care? So lighten up, this too will pass.

“Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.” -Elbert Hubbard, Publisher

6. Start getting rid of the crap

Think of all the stuff that’s weighing you down and getting in the way. Not just the things, but also the habits, the memories, the attitudes, the people. Get rid of that clutter.

“Knowledge is a process of piling up facts, wisdom lies in their simplification.” -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Civil Rights Leader

7. Stop being busy

Being busy is seductive. Just because you’re going flat out, doesn’t mean you’re on the right track. If it’s the wrong hole, you need to stop digging.

“We’re lost, but we are making good time.” -Yogi Berra, Baseball Philosopher

8. Start something

Don’t wait any longer for permission to do what you want to do. There are always reasons to procrastinate just a little longer. Enough. Just start!

“When all is said and done, a lot more is said than done.” -Lou Holtz, Sports Coach

:cool:

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I have previously mentioned that, for all intents and purposes, leadership of the nation has shifted to Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. It is they who propose new ideas, programs and practical approaches to address the country's problems and the directions to take to re-energize the economy. Obama and his campaign have been notably absent, resorting to character attack and innuendo rather than substantive policy debate.

While the nation considers the Romney/Ryan proposals, the Obama campaign is starting off their own campaign cycle with attacks against veterans groups such as OPSEC which call for an end to the leaking of national secrets to American enemies and a proper crediting for the good efforts of the military and intelligence communities.

To his credit as the Commander In Chief, Obama has continued to wage war in Afghanistan, keeps Guantanamo open and almost nightly picks who will be subject to a drone strike.

In lieu of a forthright look at the economy, the Administration's massive spending and the massive ensuant debt, Obama and his campaign do want us to remember his role in the killing of Usama bin Laden. And they want to spin the events that led to that sanctioned death so as to give him maximum credit. They call his decision "gutsy" and "courageous" and they want you to as well.

Investigative journalist and author Rich Miniter has just published a tell all book that delves into the evaluations and the decision making that were made prior to the strike on Usama's compound in Pakistan.

Heavily vetted, the information reveals the roles played by Obama's confidant Valerie Jarrett and his former rival and current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

It also shows the indecisiveness and the political calculations that guided the President to delaying multiple times a strike order against UBL.

Some advance information from the book has been released months ago, but the complete volume is now out and available for review.

The first such review comes from The Daily Mail of London...

Without a body therre exist no proof of anything . Americans have been lied to so long they wouldn't know the truth if it ran them down

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
why is this idiotic repost, that manages to be dumber than the original thread, not locked?

:hmm:

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Sounds about as trustworthy. But I think we can all admit it's an almost certainty that Harry Reid made his claim for political purposes and I think it's an almost certainty that silly shit like this is being said for explicitly political purposes with no evidence.

So, are you saying that it was ok for Reid to do so?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Obama looks like he was told to take a time out...and notice everyone (of importance) has a laptop but him...oh wait...

oh FFS you assclows.

Obama was in the middle of a speech while the Op was getting under way. He was called in to the room and rushed off as soon as he was done.

Look at his tux, imagine that he grabbed whatever seat was available. Imagine that his schedule, and responsibilities (being that he is the president) are quite a bit different than everyone else's.

shit, I don't even know why I bother: the sheer lunacy that is required to fabricate the delusions that you people most concoct to comfort yourselves that "your guy" and "your party" are clear failures when it comes to foreign policy and the general responsibilities of the position....is astounding. But not surprising.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So, are you saying that it was ok for Reid to do so?

I think what Reid said/did was rather deplorable, tbh.

His position makes it worse--you expect that to come from some fringe loony toon in the party.

That being said, Mitt isn't doing much for himself by simply setting himself up for such preposterous attacks.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't find this story unusual or alarming in the slightest. Even when the SEALs went in, we had no hard intel that UBL was there, merely circumstantial evidence. (At least to my knowledge - but then Obama and I are hardly bosom buds.) Given the very risky nature of the raid, I'm not surprised Obama got cold feet a few times, especially since this sort of raid is pretty much a one time shot. If Obama sends the SEALs that deep into Pakistan and it's a dry hole, or worse, the SEALs are killed or captured or they kill some innocent people, Obama would not have the political capital to send in a second squad even if the Pakistanis didn't put UBL in a much more secure and well-protected location.

Criticizing Obama for this is as laughably transparent as is criticizing Bush for Tora Bora. In the real world a President has to consider all the possibilities, all the risks, all the politics, without the clarity of hindsight. We armchair warriors have the benefit of hindsight as well as an utter lack of accountability - which is why it's so fun. Were we deciding to send real people to risk their lives to kill other real people, things would look much, much different, and we'd all do well to remember that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't find this story unusual or alarming in the slightest. Even when the SEALs went in, we had no hard intel that UBL was there, merely circumstantial evidence. (At least to my knowledge - but then Obama and I are hardly bosom buds.) Given the very risky nature of the raid, I'm not surprised Obama got cold feet a few times, especially since this sort of raid is pretty much a one time shot. If Obama sends the SEALs that deep into Pakistan and it's a dry hole, or worse, the SEALs are killed or captured or they kill some innocent people, Obama would not have the political capital to send in a second squad even if the Pakistanis didn't put UBL in a much more secure and well-protected location.

Criticizing Obama for this is as laughably transparent as is criticizing Bush for Tora Bora. In the real world a President has to consider all the possibilities, all the risks, all the politics, without the clarity of hindsight. We armchair warriors have the benefit of hindsight as well as an utter lack of accountability - which is why it's so fun. Were we deciding to send real people to risk their lives to kill other real people, things would look much, much different, and we'd all do well to remember that.

this. It's amazing the amount of second-guessing that goes on amongst people who haven't a hare's understanding of the stakes involved.

Sending a covert squad into Pakistan, acting on intel that is unconfirmed at best? Risking war with a pseudo-ally?

Yeah, you'd all have "cold feet." God help us if our leader making that decision doesn't have "cold feet."

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

*buzzer*

Nice try possum, but it doesn't take a Clausewitz to see the clear differences between the raid in Pakistan, and the battle at Tora Bora. The two are different animals in foresight as well as hindsight.

You are comparing an active warzone in a lawless region to penetrating the airspace of an "ally" that just might send in it's Airforce? Really? The "my way or the highway" Cheney admin, renowned for telling anyone who didn't like their agenda to screw off, suddenly was concerned about some Pashtun goat herders who were sticking around on the battlefield? Are you fucking kidding me?

I like how you bring up accountability, as if we've had any real measure of it with Iraq in regards to the burdens of the CiC you listed. Puh-lease.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The active warzone had the same potential to get the assault team killed due to lack of tactical intelligence.

The same went for Obama - you do not send in a small amount of troops without every potential contingency being analyzed. Until they knew that the reward exceeded the risk; it should be a no-go. The previous opportunities meant that they were getter better and tracking him; another slip would be made that would allow bringing down the hammer.
Being ex-military; I do not fault either CiC in those decisions - lives were potentially saved by ensuring that it would be done right.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
oh FFS you assclows.

Obama was in the middle of a speech while the Op was getting under way. He was called in to the room and rushed off as soon as he was done.

Look at his tux, imagine that he grabbed whatever seat was available. Imagine that his schedule, and responsibilities (being that he is the president) are quite a bit different than everyone else's.

shit, I don't even know why I bother: the sheer lunacy that is required to fabricate the delusions that you people most concoct to comfort yourselves that "your guy" and "your party" are clear failures when it comes to foreign policy and the general responsibilities of the position....is astounding. But not surprising.

I dont evny any president. You are on the clock 24/7. Sure you may take a week or 2 to visit your home or relax and get some sleep at night. But since the world doesn't sleep all at once, at any moment he may have to leave whatever restful thing/important thing they are doing to go do another important thing.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The active warzone had the same potential to get the assault team killed due to lack of tactical intelligence.

The assault team being killed was hardly the only worry, don't be obtuse. The repercussions for things going wrong in Pakistan would have dwarfed a failure in Tora Bora, the close presence of civilians, Pak military, and then the political fallout with Islamabad. None of that has an Afghan analog.

I'm not sure if that potential can really be quantified, but this mention of lack of tactical intel... you do realize we got to listen to OBL himself on the mic at Tora Bora telling others he didn't think he was going to get out alive right? That's why he wrote his will.
Yet in Abbottabad we did not have the same definitive intel, didn't know OBL was there until he peered down a stairwell and found American eyes looking back at him.

I do not fault either CiC in those decisions - lives were potentially saved by ensuring that it would be done right.

Sorry, but I've seen too much clusterfuck by the Cheney admin to go along with the notion of them "ensuring that it would be done right." I don't see how you can attribute that sentiment to a group that for 8 years held ideology as more important than real world conditions, quite different than the Obama angle and it's been showing.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
oh FFS you assclows.

Hmmm...is this close enough to being scatalogical and therefor in violation of Perknose's rule change? I think it is close, but you are on the safe side of the line. Just be careful.

Ah, so that is why he has the "I am pouting" look on his face...because they interrupted one of his reads?

Be careful, you have entered the scatological area, though it is not being used as an insult. Just a friendly warning. :)

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
this. It's amazing the amount of second-guessing that goes on amongst people who haven't a hare's understanding of the stakes involved.

Sending a covert squad into Pakistan, acting on intel that is unconfirmed at best? Risking war with a pseudo-ally?

Yeah, you'd all have "cold feet." God help us if our leader making that decision doesn't have "cold feet."

As everyone knows, I am often critical of Obama (there is just so much to dislike about the guy and his actions), but this is not one of them. Regardless of how much he tried to position others to take the fall if it failed (like he does so often in other things), he could not have escaped the blame had this one gone wrong.

He gets kudos for doing the right thing here.