Obama campain trying to silence a critic on a Chicago radio station

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
http://www.swamppolitics.com/n...n_confronts_wgn_r.html
He is going to have to learn to take criticism(if it's true or not), what will he do if he is President? Obama's camp was invited to send someone to participate on the show but didn't.
DENVER -- Sen. Barack Obama's campaign organized its supporters Wednesday night to confront Tribune-owned WGN-AM in Chicago for having a critic of the Illinois Democrat on its air.

"WGN radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist smears," Obama's campaign wrote in an e-mail to supporters. "He's currently scheduled to spend a solid two-hour block from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers."

Kurtz, a conservative writer, recently wrote an article for the National Review that looked at Obama's ties to Ayers, a former 1960s radical who later emerged as a school reform advocate in Chicago.

The magazine had been blocked in its initial attempts to obtain records from the University of Illinois at Chicago regarding a school reform initiative called the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which Obama chaired and Ayers co-founded.

Obama critics were quick to suggest that political clout could be involved in seeking to protect Obama from embarrassment. The school later reserved its position and made the records available Tuesday.

On Wednesday evening, Obama's campaign urged supporters to call the radio station to complain.

"Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse," the note said.

"It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves," the note continued. "At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies."

Zack Christenson, executive producer of "Extension 720 with Milt Rosenburg," said the response was strong.

"I would say this is the biggest response we've ever got from a campaign or a candidate," he said. "This is really unprecedented with the show, the way that people are flooding the calls and our email boxes."

Christenson said the Obama campaign was asked to have someone appear on the show and declined the request.

"He got into the files just yesterday, so we wanted to have him on to find out what he found. And, if at all possible, we wanted to get the Obama campaign, to get their side of the story," Christenson said. "That's why the uproar is kind of amazing, because we wanted the Obama campaign's take as well."

The show's producer said the calls dropped off after the show's first hour. He did not have a count of calls, but said it was "non-stop."

Obama's campaign has launched similar offensives against stations that have run campaign ads that it did not like.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Can you at least make a small effort to spell everything in your thread topic correctly? It reflects poorly on the rest of us here. I might have attributed it to a bad pun if I thought you were capable of subtlety, or puns.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
It seems that Obama is really worried about the Ayers thing.

Ayers could turn out to be Obama's version of Willie Horton.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: jonks
Can you at least make a small effort to spell everything in your thread topic correctly? It reflects poorly on the rest of us here. I might have attributed it to a bad pun if I thought you were capable of subtlety, or puns.

LOL, have you seen some of the crazies that rant and rave in here?

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Ahh... poor Obama is getting his little feelings hurt.

If everything this "hatchet-man" has to say is false, then why not counter with facts? Truth is the best anti-dote to unfounded smear attacks... so why not present the truth yourself instead of lowering yourself to the supposed same level at the hatchet man?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe the left needs to hire their own pathetic hack to counter this garbage with their own garbage? Maybe something like: THIS or THIS. After all, candidates have to learn to take criticism, true or not, right?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Where is the attempt to silence this person? They are asking for an open forum to question the validity of the claims, not demanding that he cannot be on the air. From your own article:

"Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse," the note said.

"It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves," the note continued. "At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies."

Now, the station is saying that they "wanted the Obama campaign's take as well" but doesn't address if they actually made an invite to anyone associated with the campaign. Maybe they meant from their supporters over the phone? I'm sure that someone connected high up with Obama would have absolutely have loved to have had two hours of airtime on a right-wing radio show to try to debunk this guy's claims if they were actually invited. But that just might be my silly fascination with deductive reasoning.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
IF the stuff isn't true then why not tell the truth, or is Ayers "not the america hating radical I once knew."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: QED

If everything this "hatchet-man" has to say is false, then why not counter with facts? Truth is the best anti-dote to unfounded smear attacks... so why not present the truth yourself instead of lowering yourself to the supposed same level at the hatchet man?

Kurtz already has been countered with facts. Repeatedly. Anyone who is even in the ballpark of objective has to admit that you can't believe a word that comes out of Kurtz's mouth. He has been so thoroughly discredited at this point that for stations to continue to put him on is an embarrassment to themselves.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
IF the stuff isn't true then why not tell the truth, or is Ayers "not the america hating radical I once knew."

Like you'd listen anyway.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Kurtz already has been countered with facts. Repeatedly. Anyone who is even in the ballpark of objective has to admit that you can't believe a word that comes out of Kurtz's mouth. He has been so thoroughly discredited at this point that for stations to continue to put him on is an embarrassment to themselves.

Ratings duh!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I heard whispers that the BHO campaign sent out thuggies to try and get some of the stations to stop playing the Ayers ad before they resorted to the DOJ letters.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
I heard whispers that the BHO campaign sent out thuggies to try and get some of the stations to stop playing the Ayers ad before they resorted to the DOJ letters.

I heard rumors that BHO is really a muslim terrorist implanted into the Senate to dissolve our nation from within. But keep that to yourself. :roll:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You forgot to say 'HUSSEIN' in that post.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

In all fairness to Obama, your use of the term "thuggies" is very perjorative, and if the Ayers ads really are BS then I could see Obama or one his staffers calling up the GMs at the stations to plead with them to be fair and not accept ads that are blatantly false. At least, that is what I would do before I took the last resort of writing a letter to the DOJ and run the risk that I will look like a crybaby (at best), or have something to hide (at worst), while in the process keeping the subject alive.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006

Huh?? Kurtz is highly respected as a legitimate reporter. He is not some right wing bomb throwing hack ala Ann Coulter. The guy has a PHD from Harvard.

This is the second time the Obama campaign has tried to shut down anyone who dares to speak Ayers and Obama's names in the same sentence. That has to make you wonder what he is trying to hide.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Huh?? Kurtz is highly respected as a legitimate reporter. He is not some right wing bomb throwing hack ala Ann Coulter. The guy has a PHD from Harvard.

This is the second time the Obama campaign has tried to shut down anyone who dares to speak Ayers and Obama's names in the same sentence. That has to make you wonder what he is trying to hide.

Gaaah, I was thinking of Corsi and not Kurtz. That's two things now. I'm retarded this morning... too much booze.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
WAAAAAAAA...... their fighting back!

No fair... no fair... no fair!

What I would like to see is a group look into McCain's ties to convicted and unrepentant traitors. You know Liddy and North!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Why is he resorting to these kinds of tactics? He obviously can't go for slander or libel because it's true. Why is he trying to hide the truth so much? There must be more to this that he's afraid once the people realize who he really is they'll dump him. Just why is he trying to cover this up anyway? Let the facts speak and let all Americans here the truth about Obama.

Seriously ask yourself, why is he trying so desperately to prevent others from speaking?

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: PELarson

Ummm... he's not fighting back, that's the problem.

Instead of countering the lies with the truth, he has instead chosen to try to silence the attacks.

That would be like George W. Bush asking YouTube to remove "Loose Change"-- and then getting
the Justice Department to have it forcibly removed if YouTube declined.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Where is the attempt to silence this person? They are asking for an open forum to question the validity of the claims, not demanding that he cannot be on the air. From your own article:

Now, the station is saying that they "wanted the Obama campaign's take as well" but doesn't address if they actually made an invite to anyone associated with the campaign.
Maybe they meant from their supporters over the phone? I'm sure that someone connected high up with Obama would have absolutely have loved to have had two hours of airtime on a right-wing radio show to try to debunk this guy's claims if they were actually invited. But that just might be my silly fascination with deductive reasoning.

RightIsWrong . . . you are wrong.

Rosenberg's producer contacted the Obama campaign's HQ -- which is but blocks from the radio station in downtown Chicago -- to offer some time on the air with Kurtz to debate Kurtz' claims about Obama and Ayres. The campaign, however, flatly refused the offer of the equal air time and instead tried to drum up via email a protest of the show, trying to get it stopped.

Seen here.

Streaming audio here.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Why is he resorting to these kinds of tactics? He obviously can't go for slander or libel because it's true. Why is he trying to hide the truth so much? There must be more to this that he's afraid once the people realize who he really is they'll dump him. Just why is he trying to cover this up anyway? Let the facts speak and let all Americans here the truth about Obama.

Seriously ask yourself, why is he trying so desperately to prevent others from speaking?

How can you be so sure what's being said on the station is true? Did you listen to the entire radio shows? A lot of talk radio starts with a fact and quickly moves to opinion which may or may not be accurate. It is my *guess* that the Obama people heard something inaccurate or misleading that made them react this way.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PELarson

Ummm... he's not fighting back, that's the problem.

Instead of countering the lies with the truth, he has instead chosen to try to silence the attacks.

That would be like George W. Bush asking YouTube to remove "Loose Change"-- and then getting
the Justice Department to have it forcibly removed if YouTube declined.

GWB hide the truth? Nah... LINK The corresponding The Daily Show episode on that was hilarious.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

In all fairness to Obama, your use of the term "thuggies" is very perjorative, and if the Ayers ads really are BS then I could see Obama or one his staffers calling up the GMs at the stations to plead with them to be fair and not accept ads that are blatantly false. At least, that is what I would do before I took the last resort of writing a letter to the DOJ and run the risk that I will look like a crybaby (at best), or have something to hide (at worst), while in the process keeping the subject alive.

I haven't done a line by line examination of the ad, but about everything in it I've heard before with fairly hard sources behind it.