Obama campain trying to silence a critic on a Chicago radio station

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
It amazes me that more people don't see the libs as free speech censors when that is exactly what they are.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: QED
Ahh... poor Obama is getting his little feelings hurt.

If everything this "hatchet-man" has to say is false, then why not counter with facts? Truth is the best anti-dote to unfounded smear attacks... so why not present the truth yourself instead of lowering yourself to the supposed same level at the hatchet man?

Kurtz already has been countered with facts. Repeatedly. Anyone who is even in the ballpark of objective has to admit that you can't believe a word that comes out of Kurtz's mouth. He has been so thoroughly discredited at this point that for stations to continue to put him on is an embarrassment to themselves.

Help me out with them there facts. Did Senator Obama not have a campaign kickoff party/announcement at Ayers' house? Did Senator not serve on at least one board with Ayers? These are actual questions, as I have not seen any sources.

Seriously asking, as if the association with Ayers is true, it makes me seriously question Obama's judgement. If it isnt true, then I can put those judgement issues aside.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
It amazes me that more people don't see the libs as free speech censors when that is exactly what they are.

How is free speech being censored here?

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: lupi
I heard whispers that the BHO campaign sent out thuggies to try and get some of the stations to stop playing the Ayers ad before they resorted to the DOJ letters.

In all fairness to Obama, your use of the term "thuggies" is very perjorative, and if the Ayers ads really are BS then I could see Obama or one his staffers calling up the GMs at the stations to plead with them to be fair and not accept ads that are blatantly false. At least, that is what I would do before I took the last resort of writing a letter to the DOJ and run the risk that I will look like a crybaby (at best), or have something to hide (at worst), while in the process keeping the subject alive.

But that's how O rolls. if there is something that comes out that will hurt him he will look for any and all legal means to squash it before it surfaces. He doesn't like competition. Hell that's how he got into political office in the 1st place. He plays Chicago Politics. If you can't win, get someone to keep your opponent from running at all.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Ahh... poor Obama is getting his little feelings hurt.

If everything this "hatchet-man" has to say is false, then why not counter with facts? Truth is the best anti-dote to unfounded smear attacks... so why not present the truth yourself instead of lowering yourself to the supposed same level at the hatchet man?

Kurtz already has been countered with facts. Repeatedly. Anyone who is even in the ballpark of objective has to admit that you can't believe a word that comes out of Kurtz's mouth. He has been so thoroughly discredited at this point that for stations to continue to put him on is an embarrassment to themselves.

Help me out with them there facts. Did Senator Obama not have a campaign kickoff party/announcement at Ayers' house? Did Senator not serve on at least one board with Ayers? These are actual questions, as I have not seen any sources.

Seriously asking, as if the association with Ayers is true, it makes me seriously question Obama's judgement. If it isnt true, then I can put those judgement issues aside.

The first is false, the 2nd is true. However, there were Republicans and major corporate executives on that board as well.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: XMan
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Where is the attempt to silence this person? They are asking for an open forum to question the validity of the claims, not demanding that he cannot be on the air. From your own article:

"Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse," the note said.

"It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves," the note continued. "At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies."

Now, the station is saying that they "wanted the Obama campaign's take as well" but doesn't address if they actually made an invite to anyone associated with the campaign.
Maybe they meant from their supporters over the phone? I'm sure that someone connected high up with Obama would have absolutely have loved to have had two hours of airtime on a right-wing radio show to try to debunk this guy's claims if they were actually invited. But that just might be my silly fascination with deductive reasoning.

RightIsWrong . . . you are wrong.

Rosenberg's producer contacted the Obama campaign's HQ -- which is but blocks from the radio station in downtown Chicago -- to offer some time on the air with Kurtz to debate Kurtz' claims about Obama and Ayres. The campaign, however, flatly refused the offer of the equal air time and instead tried to drum up via email a protest of the show, trying to get it stopped.

Seen here.

Streaming audio here.

Thanks for the links XMan. I will check them out later.