Obama Campaign Cuts Off Interviews With Florida TV Station

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Boohoo! Biden got asked some tough questions and now they won't do any more interviews with the Flordia TV station. I think it's the media's job to ASK the tough questions. Why is it ok to hammer Palin with tough questions, but not Biden?

I seem to remember Palin getting a REALLY hard time from everyone here when she basically did the same thing, and I'm sure most here will try to divert this thread into another "But Palin did..." thread.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2...ws-florida-tv-station/

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQXcImQfubM

Barack Obama's campaign killed all interviews with a Florida TV station after Sen. Joe Biden, the Democratic vice presidential nominee, faced tough and critical questions from a reporter at the Orlando station, the Orlando Sentinel reported .

During a satellite video Thursday, WFTV's Barbara West quoted Karl Marx and asked Biden how Obama's comment to "Joe the Plumber," about spreading the wealth wasn't being Marxist.

"Are you joking?," Biden asked.

West replied, "No."

Later in the interview West questioned Biden about his comments that if Obama wins the election next month, he would be tested early on as president and wanted to know if Biden was implying America was no longer the world's leading power.

"I don't know who's writing your questions," Biden asked her.

The Obama camp then killed a WFTV interview with Biden's wife Jill, according to an Orlando Sentinel blog.

"This cancellation is non-negotiable, and further opportunities for your station to interview with this campaign are unlikely, at best for the duration of the remaining days until the election," wrote Laura K. McGinnis, Central Florida communications director for the Obama campaign, according to the Sentinel.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Progressive taxes are now "Marxist" in the rightwing lexicon. Check.

At least Dems aren't desperate enough to ask Palin or McCain if they're Fascist.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Tough questions? That "reporter" had an agenda. She also did not answer who was writing her questions.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Progressive taxes are now "Marxist" in the rightwing lexicon. Check.

At least Dems aren't desperate enough to ask Palin or McCain if they're Fascist.
They would if they were as far back in the polls as McCain :laugh:

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
I just watched the video and it was not cutoff. She asked some questions and Biden answered them. He sounded annoyed, but at no point cutoff the interview. Did you even watch the clip or did you just take a blogs word?

Quote: The Obama camp then killed a WFTV interview with Biden's wife Jill, according to an Orlando Sentinel blog

edit: sorry, I see they meant future interviews, the title is misleading.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Sour grapes make really bad WHINE. Tough questions!!!!! What newspaper do you read? That's a real hardball! LMAO. The pure comedic value of your OPs goes up each day as it approaches Election Day. :thumbsup:

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Uhtrinity
I just watched the video and it was not cutoff. She asked some questions and Biden answered them. He sounded annoyed, but at no point cutoff the interview. Did you even watch the clip or did you just take a blogs word?

Quote: The Obama camp then killed a WFTV interview with Biden's wife Jill, according to an Orlando Sentinel blog

edit: sorry, I see they meant future interviews, the title is misleading.

Further emphasis added...OH NO I CAN'T HEAR BIDEN'S WIFE'S ANSWERS TO TOUGH QUESTIONS!!! Concerns me about as much as what Cindy or the Toddster have on to say.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
OMG. What station was that? I'm guessing a FOXNEWS affiliate.
She starts with "Aren't you embarrased by the blatant attempt to register phony voters by Acorn?"

I would have ended the interview right then and there.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Corbett
Boohoo! Biden got asked some tough questions and now they won't do any more interviews with the Flordia TV station.

Kinda like that tough question asked by Katie Couric:

""What newspapers do you read?""

You can pretend that quoting Karl Marx, interjecting Obama and then effectively calling Joe Biden a 'Marxist' is somehow responsible journalism.

But it's not.

So if you think it's okay with calling Obama/Biden 'Marxists' you won't have a problem with me calling Republicans contemptuous, race-baiting hate-filled lying-ass Fascists ??

midway

Oct 22, 2004
She should have asked if he thought the man who made this statement was a Marxist.

"The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. A tax upon house-rents, therefore, would in general fall heaviest upon the rich; and in this sort of inequality there would not, perhaps, be anything very unreasonable. It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."
- Adam Smith

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I made the mistake of watching Fox News Sunday this morning.. They kept going on about 'Is this what we can expect from a democratic president when asked tough questions?' Fox is trash.

Having just watched the video myself, I 100% agree with Joe Biden on how he handled those questions. There is a big difference between asking a tough question, and asking a loaded, blatantly partisan question. He called her out on the stupidity and premise of the bad questions, what's wrong with that?

It's one thing to ask about Obama's statement, but to quote Marx and phrase the questions in the way that she did, it was obvious she had an agenda and I am very pleased with how Biden handled her.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
OMG. What station was that? It had to be the FOXNEWS affiliate.
She starts with "Aren't you embarrased by the blatant attemp to register phony voters by Acorn?"

No shit, that isn't an interview at that point. When did the OP's church swap out the wine for cherry flavored Kool-Aid?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex
There is a big difference between asking a tough question, and asking a loaded question. I think Biden did the right thing.
Given the way Biden has answered - or, tried to answer questions and then stepping in the sh!t with his answers, does this mean all questions asked of him to date have been loaded?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: techs
OMG. What station was that? It had to be the FOXNEWS affiliate.
She starts with "Aren't you embarrased by the blatant attemp to register phony voters by Acorn?"

No shit, that isn't an interview at that point. When did the OP's church swap out the wine for cherry flavored Kool-Aid?
I'm guessing the newscaster was applying for a job with FoxNews.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: T2T III
There is a big difference between asking a tough question, and asking a loaded question. I think Biden did the right thing.
Given the way Biden has answered - or, tried to answer questions and then stepping in the sh!t with his answers, does this mean all questions asked of him to date have been loaded?

Please see my update above, I made some edits.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: T2T III
Please see my update above, I made some edits.
Well, my response was made before your edits - see the time stamps.

I've actually made two edits, one for content (which is before I responded to you) and one for spelling (after).

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
So Biden's wife isn't going to do an interview vs Palin not doing interviews? Sounds fair! :D

Palin isn't allowed to answer any questions at any interview, lol! :laugh:

Oh wait, she's going all rogue and mavricky ((c) - 2008 - John McCain for President campaign) and will do as she pleases! :p

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: midway
She should have asked if he thought the man who made this statement was a Marxist.

"The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. A tax upon house-rents, therefore, would in general fall heaviest upon the rich; and in this sort of inequality there would not, perhaps, be anything very unreasonable. It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."
- Adam Smith

Win

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
More calm cool intelligent responses from the Obama/Biden ticket. The reporter seems to have a lack of knowledge on the subjects to further engage conversation or a follow up question wasnt on the teleprompter for her.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
ugh, we should bottle up this interview and put it on display for everyone to see and analyze because THIS is the type of journalism that has seeped into our media and created ugly partisan reporting. Loaded questions, "Begging the question" fallacy, "emotional appeals....blegh

If you want to talk about "gotcha" journalism this is the definition of "gotcha"

Compare a Bill Moyers interview to this interview, you will see the stark contrasts.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Geez, they aren't going to do anymore interviews with some idiot asking absurdities when there are important issues they want to present to the American people. It's just not fair.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
the gallop poll she referred to in her 2nd question was a poll done back on June 27, 2008. Alot has happened since then (Bailout, economic mess) that I seriously question if that poll is relevant. Someone smarted than I should look into it.