Obama buys half hour of CBS Primetime

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Text

With the exception of commercial advertising purchases, candidates usually don't buy such a large block of airtime, the Hollywood Reporter noted. The last time it occurred was when Ross Perot aired a special in 1992.

The Hollywood Reporter also reported that Obama is considering a similar purchase of time on NBC, a unit of General Electric Co. and Fox Network, a unit of News Corp.

Wow. McCain is going to have a hell of a time pulling this one out... good luck grandpa!

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder how much that costs.. if I were Bill Gates I'd just buy myself airtime every night and stage a sitcom, with all the characters played be me.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Text

With the exception of commercial advertising purchases, candidates usually don't buy such a large block of airtime, the Hollywood Reporter noted. The last time it occurred was when Ross Perot aired a special in 1992.

The Hollywood Reporter also reported that Obama is considering a similar purchase of time on NBC, a unit of General Electric Co. and Fox Network, a unit of News Corp.

Wow. McCain is going to have a hell of a time pulling this one out... good luck grandpa!

This could backfire if he pre-empts too much of the American public's regularly scheduled programming!

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
McCain can't compete on this level. He's too busy defending Bush states that Obama is leading in, and all he has is $80 million to work with.

Originally posted by: loup garou
This could backfire if he pre-empts too much of the American public's regularly scheduled programming!
He's pushing back "The New Adventures Of Old Christine". That should give him a 5-point bump across the board.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
That's the biggest reason these campaigns are seen as a bit unfair. Are there any legit reasons potential POTUS' should have an advantage in finances?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Text

You know, from the guy that was criticizing McCain for having a bunch of cars, this kind of makes that look a wee bit hypocritical.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
That's the biggest reason these campaigns are seen as a bit unfair. Are there any legit reasons potential POTUS' should have an advantage in finances?
/agree, money = votes. It's down to such a science, that campaign managers can actually tell you how much your % will go up and your opponent's down almost to the half point. Smart of Obama not to agree to the public financing "agreement" since he knew he could raise more, all fairness aside.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Text

You know, from the guy that was criticizing McCain for having a bunch of cars, this kind of makes that look a wee bit hypocritical.
13 cars is a tad excessive IMO, and he didn't buy them from campaign donations. Slight difference.

Feb 10, 2000

I don't recall Obama ever criticizing McCain for having 13 cars, but even if he had, I don't see how that would make his TV time buy hypocritical - he is using campaign funds, not his own.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

:confused: How is it unfair? McCain has the same opportunity to solicit donations from supporters.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
With the exception of commercial advertising purchases, candidates usually don't buy such a large block of airtime, the Hollywood Reporter noted.

Half an hour is a big deal? Really?

I'd like you guys to know that here in (Western) NC we now have an "Obama Channel".

That's right, 24/7 Obama is on satelitte here non-stop.

Wheeee! We're finally a "battleground state".

Fern

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Text

How so? This isn't Obama's money. He is spending campaign donations to pay for the air time.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor

:confused: How is it unfair? McCain has the same opportunity to solicit donations from supporters.

Well, he doesn't anymore, since he took public funds. That's why the ad time this month will be so monstrously weighted in Obama's favor - he has many tens of millions of dollars more than McCain to spend.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: Robor

Well, he doesn't anymore, since he took public funds. That's why the ad time this month will be so monstrously weighted in Obama's favor - he has many tens of millions of dollars more than McCain to spend.

I mean they both had the same opportunity to start with. Obama chose his path and McCain chose another.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: zoiks
:thumbsup:

McCain will undoubtedly attack Obama for this anyway.
Meh, Obama will get 30 minutes to attack McCain right back, during prime time.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We did not hear you complain when the republirats had their usual advantage in finances. But 2008 is an unusual year, many more Americans are donating to Obama
and GWB&co has managed to totally demoralize corporations and big money donors.

Leaving McCain sucking hind tit, as none of the smart money will donate to policies that are bad for us all.

Its gets really bad for McCain when the most greedy fat cats among us see him as the disaster McSame they can't afford either.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
Wheeee! We're finally a "battleground state".

Fern
Well the last time you were a battleground state it didn't end well for ya;)

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Text

So because Obama has raised almost a half billion dollars in donations that means he's now personally worth 500 million? I'm sure the IRS would be interested to hear that...:roll:

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: zoiks
Maybe FoxNews will give McCain a discount coupon.

There's no question they would if they could legally do so.

It's called an 'interview' so if you want to hear some talking points and see the 'voice of truth' nodding emphatically tune in to Hannity.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Hard to tell if this will work.

I wonder how many people will watch it. And I wonder what he will do or say.

He and McCain both had 30-40 minutes of free time for their convention speeches and there wasn't much movement afterwards.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Hard to tell if this will work.

I wonder how many people will watch it. And I wonder what he will do or say.

He and McCain both had 30-40 minutes of free time for their convention speeches and there wasn't much movement afterwards.

Both Obama and McCain gained from 8 to 10 points after their respective conventions... not sure how much of that bump you can attribute to their respective speeches.

Anyways I'm interested on what this is about... Obama is definitely pulling all the punches and not leaving anything for granted.