Obama bends the truth

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...2031.html?hpid=topnews

Addressing civil rights activists in Selma, Ala., a year ago, Sen. Barack Obama traced his "very existence" to the generosity of the Kennedy family, which he said paid for his Kenyan father to travel to America on a student scholarship and thus meet his Kansan mother.

Problem? The Kennedys did not become involved with this program until nearly a year AFTER Obama's father had come over from Africa. Therefore, Obama's claim was false.

Now, I could do as the Clinton bashers do and call it a BOLD-FACED LIE. I won't stoop to that level. Probably he was intenttionally bending the truth, as all candidates do occasionally. I'll leave it at that.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
He has already acknowledged the mistake

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

So when Obama says something inaccurate, it's a mistake. When Hillary does, she's a calculating liar. I get it now, thanks for clearing that up.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Its also likely he simply didn't know. He knew the Kennedy's were involved with the program so he assumed that it indirectly benefited his father. Upon finding out they weren't a part of the program until later, he acknowledged the mistake and moved on.

There isn't anything wrong with admitting a mistake. There's something wrong with knowing its a mistake before you say it.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: M0RPH

So when Obama says something inaccurate, it's a mistake. When Hillary does, she's a calculating liar. I get it now, thanks for clearing that up.

Huh? Did you not read the Hillary / Hospital thread where like 20 people replied and said it's a stupid/non-issue, not really an intentional lie, etc? I was one of those posters. I am far from a Hillary supporter, I'm tired of Bushes and Clintons, but I'm not going to fling poo on stupid issues like this and that.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

From what I've seen, it looks like Obama will correct a misstatement quickly whereas Clinton will try to spin hers for as long as possible in the hopes that the 'lie' becomes fact.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

More the fact that Hillary
1) Repeated the claim
2) Embelished actual events
3) Denied making the claim
4) Excused herself from doing it, stating that she was exhausted (See #1)

Whether Obama did it deliberately or not who knows.
At least he acknowledged the error when confronted and was not using it to embelish his background experience.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Arkaign

Huh? Did you not read the Hillary / Hospital thread where like 20 people replied and said it's a stupid/non-issue, not really an intentional lie, etc? I was one of those posters. I am far from a Hillary supporter, I'm tired of Bushes and Clintons, but I'm not going to fling poo on stupid issues like this and that.

And that was the 2nd time that someone posted a thread on that issue, so I decided it's about time Obama's 'mistakes' get a little coverage here.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

And that was the 2nd time that someone posted a thread on that issue, so I decided it's about time Obama's 'mistakes' get a little coverage here.

Ah, well .. fair enough. I'll keep defending Hillary and/or Obama and/or McCain when I see unfair criticism, and nailing them when I think it's legitimate.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Everybody knows sperm have perfect memories so this Obama sperm product is obviously a liar.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
This, like the Hillary tale of being named after Sir Edmund Hillary, I fit into the category of "family legend." I have no doubt that Barack & Hillary were told these stories by parents or other relatives when they were young and always assumed them to be true.

As said in the hospital thread, and repeated above several times, this is really a total nonissue and has no bearing on the candidate's reputation for truthfulness.

And as to why people get on Hilloary for lying so severely-you fans of hers just have to come to the realization that she doesn't have ANY of the protective "teflon coating" that McCain has, Obama has to an extent and which GWB had for years and exploited so ruthlessly. A given fact of the reality of Hillary Clinton as a candidate is that there are a lot of potential voters that just don't like her, don't trust her and will not accept anything she says without independent verification. Its part of her huge negative rating, and the main reason why I switched from supporting her. She's unelectible in any practical sense, regardless of whether that is fair or not.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Slick5150
Its also likely he simply didn't know. He knew the Kennedy's were involved with the program so he assumed that it indirectly benefited his father. Upon finding out they weren't a part of the program until later, he acknowledged the mistake and moved on.

There isn't anything wrong with admitting a mistake. There's something wrong with knowing its a mistake before you say it.

The same kind of "fact checking" that people skewered bush for over WMD's. Just for the record, the only thing I like about Bush is my lower tax bill. The rest of it has been pretty much a disaster. My point is, he cant even get the facts of his own family history right?! Didnt know my big toe. He made the story fit the facts that would benefit him, and he got caught. Same with Hillary. Both of them are as dishonest as they are liberal.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Awesome; should we cue up clips of the good Reverend driving the hope train off the cliff?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
In this case, yes...making an inaccurate statement, or honest mistake, and then admitting to said mistake, is one thing...making an inaccurate statement, embellishing said statement, insisting on the validity of said statement, and then claiming you mispoke on the issue, is quite another.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
"I have no doubt that all across the country, from Florida to Oregon, from Washington to Maine, the people will rise up in November, and John Kerry will be sworn in as president, and John Edwards will be sworn in as vice president, and this country will reclaim its promise, and out of this long political darkness a brighter day will come."

He had no doubt eh? Looks like his powers of prognostication weren't firing on all cylinders at the 04 convention :)