Obama Backing FISA "Compromise"

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
any word yet on whether Obama is going to filibuster this or break another campaign promise?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talk...g_telecom_immunity.php

complete crickets from the Obama camp on this?

Didn't you get the memo? This bill is not retroactive immunity, it merely provides circumstances under which a court must dismiss a case against the telcos. It just so happens those circumstances encompass any and every reason someone would sue them for cooperating with the feds.

So this isn't retroactive immunity, it's constructive [great word] immunity.

And BO never said he'd fillibuster constructive immunity, now did he? Ah nuance.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Obama will continue to lie and his supporters will continue to eat it up. They will say "well are you going to vote for McCain?" They dont get it, Obama is part of the machine, he has been groomed for your consumption, he has just shown you the strength of his convictions... they are much like his platform.... empty and worthless.

Get used to it, you will have at least another four years of some corporate tool running this nation into the ground, and your still gonna vote for him. So next time you want to play the blame game about the current state of affairs go look in the mirror.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Robor
Why are some so adamantly against immunity for the telco's when those who directed them are apparently getting it?

They shouldn't get immunity either. Of course, that's the Democrats fault, too. Anyone who wanted Bush or Cheney impeached was considered a nutjob.

I agree neither should get immunity but I can't see how we can be outraged about immunity for one but let the other slide.
Trying for low-hanging fruit. After what we've seen by bush admin and still no impeaching, we know it'll never happen so we've given up any hopes.

I'm not saying they shouldn't go after the low hanging fruit (telcos) but normally you go after them to get up the chain. In this case it's not even necessary because we already know where it leads. The way I see it if we're not going to punish those who directed this then those who carried it out should get the same pass.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Craig234

That is exactly the point. The outcome in regards to this issue despite whether McCain or Obama becomes Pres will most likely be too similar for it to even be factor in one's voting decision.

If you don't think that Obama would be far less likely to engage in future actions like Bush's compared to McCain who endorses them, you are missing something, IMO.[/quote]

Keep reading. I already addressed this. I obviously threw some people off with that post though which I apologize for. I should have been a bit more descriptive because the one you quoted is very misleading in regards to how I actually feel.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
any word yet on whether Obama is going to filibuster this or break another campaign promise?

If you noticed, most people in here that are Obama supporters are not backing him or supporting him on this issue.

Most of us have expressed being disheartened with him on his stance on it. As for his plans on filibustering, it would go a long way towards making amends regarding it...but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to take the floor.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

If you noticed, most people in here that are Obama supporters are not backing him or supporting him on this issue.

Most of us have expressed being disheartened with him on his stance on it. As for his plans on filibustering, it would go a long way towards making amends regarding it...but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to take the floor.

He's too busy campaigning to help out with the filibuster...

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Tab
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

He's too busy campaigning to help out with the filibuster...

Obama and Clinton should joined forces and worked to stop it. That would be major campaigning and be all over the news. Much more ROI than talking to 50 people in a diner or whatever the hell he is doing now.

But instead both of them decided to sit it out. Cowardly is what it is, no other word for it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Yeah, this "one issue."

Ignore the fact that Obama has been demonizing Iran and saying they are a threat to the USA. Ignore the fact that he was once for decriminalization of marijuana before he decided that electability was more important than integrity. Ignore the fact he went to a racist church for 20 years.

Yeah, let's ignore everything else about Obama. :roll:

He's awesome because McCain is worse. :roll:

I was referring to the one issue being cited as meaning there are not any other reasons to say he's a lot better than McCain.

I'm not saying there aren't others; there are. But I think that even adding all of them, add all you listed, and it's still dwarfed by the advantages he has over McCain.

I don't have the time now to list even several of them, but you are familiar, I'm sure - let's name his using Earl Warren for the Supreme Court model, not Roberts and Alito.

Given the stances Obama has on these very important issues, can you point to McCain's issues that are worse?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Yeah, this "one issue."

Ignore the fact that Obama has been demonizing Iran and saying they are a threat to the USA. Ignore the fact that he was once for decriminalization of marijuana before he decided that electability was more important than integrity. Ignore the fact he went to a racist church for 20 years.

I was referring to the one issue being cited as meaning there are not any other reasons to say he's a lot better than McCain.

I'm not saying there aren't others; there are. But I think that even adding all of them, add all you listed, and it's still dwarfed by the advantages he has over McCain.

I don't have the time now to list even several of them, but you are familiar, I'm sure - let's name his using Earl Warren for the Supreme Court model, not Roberts and Alito.

Given the stances Obama has on these very important issues, can you point to McCain's issues that are worse?

Obama said Iran was a 'threat', McCain openly talks about a military attack on Iran. I am not aware of Obama specifically advocating this.

About drugs in general Obama is for more lenient sentencing, using drug courts, etc instead of sending people to jail. McCain wants more and harsher sentences that we already know don't work.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I've basially given up on Obama now. This is a major blunder on his part and when combined with his vast increases to taxes and entitlement programs I just am not buying it anymore. He's a bit better than McCain. That's probably all. Neither will be our savior, I'm afraid.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: blackangst1

Yeah, this "one issue."

How about a list of five of them:

1. McCain, as a Republican, would greatly empower the modern Republican agenda, just as a matter of party mechanics. Republicans appointed to thousands of positions running our government with all the 'Republican donor agenda' baggage that implies, resulting in huge problems and blocking of the progressive agenda.

2. The Supreme Court appointments. Right now, the radical right has four seats on the court with one marginal vote sometimes giving them five. Their Federalist Society agenda will greatly change our nation and harm it if they can start to change the constitutional interpretations form our history. Read the dozens of 5-4 decisions in the last couple years for an idea and that's just a start.

3. I think he'd continue the terrible Republican spending agenda - little for most, help for the most wealthy, deficits, excessive military spending, political-based spending etc.

4. I think he's likely to pursue policies of corporatism, just as Bush has let the corporate donors oversee their own industries from government positions, write laws, etc.

5. 'Bush's third term' - he's unlikely, IMO, to reverse the damages of the Bush administration, continuing the precedents of 'unitary executive', militarism, etc.

As a free bonus, I am also concerned about his character, for example, his lack of conviction to stand against torture after some earlier speeches the other way.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Sawyer
LOL change

:laugh:

So true. This is the "change" we are getting. He took a backstep on funding and now the telco immunity too. Look forward to seeing more of the same. McCain isn't any better, but I'm going to have a good time laughing at all the one who voted for these numbnuts thinking something would "change" for the better. Isn't going to happen.

It would be nice to have a president who actually has real integrity.

If you think Bob Barr has any real integrity, you're sadly mistaken.