Obama and the black sheep in his family

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
I searched and couldn't find any similar thread.

Barack Obama's cousins are Dick Cheney and George W. Bush!!!!!

Whowuldathunk!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10...ins__obama__cheney.htm

By HASANI GITTENS

October 17, 2007 -- Who says Barack Obama doesn't have what it takes to be president? Turns out, he's a distant cousin of both Dick Cheney and George Bush.

The vice president's wife, Lynne Cheney, announced her discovery yesterday while hawking her new book, "Blue Skies, No Fences," on MSNBC.

When asked if she would support Hillary Rodham Clinton because she is a woman, Lynne Cheney said, "I have to admit to a certain bias here . . . Dick and Barack Obama are eighth cousins."

Mrs. Cheney said that it was "an amazing American story that one ancestor . . . could be responsible down the family line for lives that have taken such different and varied paths."

Then asked if she supported Obama she quickly said, "No."

Obama's camp made light of the family ties. "Every family has a black sheep," said spokeswoman Jen Psaki, with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

The Chicago Sun-Times revealed the genealogical link in early September, claiming that the shared ancestors were Mareen and Susannah Duvall, 17th century immigrants from France.

The newspaper, however, claimed that the senator from Illinois and the vice president were 11th cousins.

The Duvalls are Obama's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents, and Cheney's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents, the paper said.

George W. Bush and Obama, meanwhile, are 10th cousins once removed - linked through a 17th century Massachusetts couple, Samuel Hinckley and Sarah Soole, according to the Sun-Times.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: loki8481
look at the date on that thing ;)

Lol I know, but i couldn't find anything when I searched it. I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned sometime here before though. It IS very very important information, we can't elect a cousin of Bush :laugh:

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Sen. Obama frequently mentions the relationship to Dick Cheney in his stump speech, in the context of

Now, here's the good news -- the name George W. Bush will not be on the ballot. The name of my cousin Dick Cheney will not be on the ballot. We've been trying to hide that for a long time. Everybody has a black sheep in the family.

Sen. Clinton has at least once mentioned her distant relationship to Angelina Jolie...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Anyone who can trace their ancestors back to the pre-revolution days will find out that they are related to nearly everyone else from that time period some how.

The further back you go the more likely you will find those connections.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Oh FFS... go back to 10th cousins once removed and we're all related.

What surprises me are these claims of tracing back ancestry with such accuracy/authority. Records tend to be pretty unreliable any further back than the mid-1800s, and it tends to be very difficult to trace back into Europe.