Obama administration collecting your coments made on social networking sites.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Administration collecting your info off the web.

"The White House is collecting and storing comments and videos placed on its social-networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube without notifying or asking the consent of the site users, a failure that appears to run counter to President Obama's promise of a transparent government and his pledge to protect privacy on the Internet."

Im sure its just to protect us, or perhaps for marketing purposes. I mean what could possibly be bad with an administration collecting Joe citizens communications?

:disgust:

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
You mean they're not deleting the things posted in public or e-mails sent directly and voluntarily to them?

That's INSANE!

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: AAjax
Im sure its just to protect us, or perhaps for marketing purposes. I mean what could possibly be bad with an administration collecting Joe citizens communications?

Don't be a fool, they're on to you. Get out while you can.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
You mean they're not deleting the things posted in public or e-mails sent directly and voluntarily to them?

That's INSANE!

Its not the stuff just sent to them, they are collecting it actively. For what purpose?

Collecting comments I would imagine of a political nature, if Bush did this the left would cry enemies list or something of that nature.
I submit that I dont want my government looking into and collecting its citizens communications.

I know they do, but its wrong.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Irish

Don't be a fool, they're on to you. Get out while you can.

:p

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009

That's INSANE!

Its not the stuff just sent to them, they are collecting it actively. For what purpose?

Collecting comments I would imagine of a political nature, if Bush did this the left would cry enemies list or something of that nature.
I submit that I dont want my government looking into and collecting its citizens communications.

Your wasting valuable time, you need to get on that plane.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

"The White House is collecting and storing comments and videos placed on its social-networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube without notifying or asking the consent of the site users, a failure that appears to run counter to President Obama's promise of a transparent government and his pledge to protect privacy on the Internet."

Thats not illegal. It is not a violation of anybodys rights....I see no issue at all.
Except for the obvious hatred you have of the Obama administration!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Topic Title: Obama administration collecting your coments made on social networking sites.
Topic Summary: Without warning or warrent.

Since you obviously need one, here's a clue... There is NOTHING private about anything posted in unrestricted public places, whether it's on Facebook, Twitter or Youtube or graffiti painted on a public wall, and no one, including the government, needs a warrant to view or collect it.

If you embarrass yourself with what you post in public, it's your problem. For example, you should be very afraid that the Obama administration now knows you can't spell the words, comment and warrant. :roll:

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
if its publicly posted and we know they are collecting it i feel a little bit better about this, although it would be nice to know why this is necessary

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

That's INSANE!

I submit that I dont want my government looking into and collecting its citizens communications. -- I submit then nothing is forcing you to post your communications publicly!!

Keep looking maybe you will find a conspiracy.....
How is it wrong?
What laws are they violating???

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
if its publicly posted and we know they are collecting it i feel a little bit better about this, although it would be nice to know why this is necessary

It's all going in your dossier.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Thats not illegal. It is not a violation of anybodys rights....I see no issue at all.

I dislike any government collections of its citizens communications and I dislike the repubs and the dems equally.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

hatred of wasteful spending. So why is the Obama adminsitration so curious is some lady tells her friends on facebook that the last man she slept with is welcome back to her love cave anytime?

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Ronlad/facebookfail2.jpg

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I dislike any government collections of its citizens communications and I dislike the repubs and the dems equally.

If it bothers you that much, you could always stop posting on public forums. :light: :cool:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The article wasn't very friendly to my work browser, but what I could get from it said that the administration was archiving comments left on its own facebook pages, twitter accounts, etc. That shouldn't really be a shock to anyone.

If they are going and archiving random people's sites, not only is that dumb and wasteful, but it seems like a definite privacy issue. The article is really poorly written however, so it's hard to tell what exactly is going on.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

If it bothers you that much, you could always stop posting on public forums. :light: :cool:

But I would miss you so much Harvey :D

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wow, the people defending and rationalizing this are showing their true colors.

Just because something may be technically legal doesnt mean it is not disturbing. You really want the government to have a big database of everything you have ever said?

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008

Oh my god. They're making publicly available comments and videos that were sent to them. COMMUNISTS!!!111!!11!1

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: OCguy

Just because something may be technically legal doesnt mean it is not disturbing. You really want the government to have a big database of everything you have ever said?

To a large extent, I suppose it depends on what you have said.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Uhh..as someone who staunchly advocates defense of our rights in the digital realm...

This is a non-issue.

Things you post on the white house / Obama Facebook / Youtube / Twitter pages are viewable and reviewable at their leisure.

It's Internet 101.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Harvey

Doh!

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Originally posted by: OCguy

Its not "technically legal", it IS legal. Post shit in a public forum and have no expectation of privacy. Welcome to the Internets.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: eskimospy
The article wasn't very friendly to my work browser, but what I could get from it said that the administration was archiving comments left on its own facebook pages, twitter accounts, etc. That shouldn't really be a shock to anyone.

If they are going and archiving random people's sites, not only is that dumb and wasteful, but it seems like a definite privacy issue. The article is really poorly written however, so it's hard to tell what exactly is going on.

This is what I get for almost posting before I read the article (as it seems some of you have).

I don't like any gov't agency collecting data about me without my approval.. but this is a non-issue. You post to their site, they keep it. What's the big deal? You obviously want to convery some sort of message to them. There will always be a record of it somewhere anyway.

It's a wholly different thing if they start collecting posts from P&N, but they're NOT.