Obama admin. issues 5.5M work permits to non-citizens

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
An illegal with graduate degrees in engineering and many years of experience?
I'll take my chances :D

Medical science comprises 44% immigrant labor. Illegal kids are now in college. You may be surprised.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Ha, terrible response like I imagined you'd come up with. Pick one job and ignore the rest, you know all those trade jobs they perform, the heart of the middle class.

So you are saying that people whose jobs an uneducated illegal could do are the heart of the middle class?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
So you are saying that people whose jobs an uneducated illegal could do are the heart of the middle class?

Yep.

job-in-each-state.png

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=61541

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by uneducated. Do you mean didn't finish HS? Finished HS but didn't go to college? No schooling at all? You don't need a ton of education to get into the trades.

The thing you are underestimating are the amount of illegal kids that are graduating HS and moving on to college to get professional degrees. Its much bigger than you think. In 5-10 years, your job will be up for grabs. That is why we need to figure this thing out and quickly. The common misconception of a dumb illegal strolling across the rio to pick apples isn't what we are dealing with.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I can remember when the Democrat Party understood this. Now the Democrat Party exists to serve the very bottom and the very top, and the Devil take those of us in between.

And here's what I don't get: They pretend like they are the ones who understand minorities. Yet they think that black people can't afford cars or even a bus pass and the Mexicans can only pick fruit. You want to end racism in America? Educate the liberal morons that people are equal no matter what color their skin is.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
And here's what I don't get: They pretend like they are the ones who understand minorities. Yet they think that black people can't afford cars or even a bus pass and the Mexicans can only pick fruit. You want to end racism in America? Educate the liberal morons that people are equal no matter what color their skin is.
Woah there! That would be tearing down the underpinnings of their party. Ain't gonna happen.

Excellent post BTW.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
I stopped reading replies at number 20. Obviously few of you even understand what you read and are mainly content to scream against either Obama or against republicans. You are collectively why we can't have nice things. Do you even realize what you are doing?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I stopped reading replies at number 20. Obviously few of you even understand what you read and are mainly content to scream against either Obama or against republicans. You are collectively why we can't have nice things. Do you even realize what you are doing?

First internet forum huh?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Well said. Every sanctimonious twit speaking about "the black community" needs to be slapped and reminded that the majority of black people are not on government assistance or being oppressed.* Just like every sanctimonious twit speaking about "black culture" needs to be slapped and reminded that black engineers, teachers, and doctors are every bit as much "black culture" as idiots with gold grills making gang signs on Facebook.

* YMMV when cops are about.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by uneducated. Do you mean didn't finish HS? Finished HS but didn't go to college? No schooling at all? You don't need a ton of education to get into the trades.

The thing you are underestimating are the amount of illegal kids that are graduating HS and moving on to college to get professional degrees. Its much bigger than you think. In 5-10 years, your job will be up for grabs. That is why we need to figure this thing out and quickly. The common misconception of a dumb illegal strolling across the rio to pick apples isn't what we are dealing with.

My job is always up for grabs. It's a global economy. My company could hire someone in India or China, right now. It's nothing new for us engineers. We don't feel entitled to our jobs based on our nationality, we have jobs based on our skills and productivity.
If an illegal kid is smart enough and motivated enough to overcome everything, go to college, get a graduate degree, and prove himself good enough to take my job, not only should he have it, but he should be given a green card and a path to citizenship, because we need as many smart motivated people as we can get in this country.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
so please tell us what jobs these illegals will get.

Day laborer, maid, nanny, farm worker, etc. Mostly menial labor. Some will go further, good for them.
Truck drivers will probably be replaced by self driving technologies, so they should fear us Silicon Valley engineers, not some illegal kid.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Day laborer, maid, nanny, farm worker, etc. Mostly menial labor. Some will go further, good for them.
Truck drivers will probably be replaced by self driving technologies, so they should fear us Silicon Valley engineers, not some illegal kid.

So you are saying that you think that all illegals are uneducated and are only capable of doing menial labor. And you think that anyone who does labor that could be done by an illegal doesn't deserve to make a living wage unless they are part of a union that forces employers to pay wages far beyond what the free market would.

You are a good liberal.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
So you are saying that you think that all illegals are uneducated and are only capable of doing menial labor.
Reading comprehension issues?
Mostly menial labor. Some will go further, good for them.

And you think that anyone who does labor that could be done by an illegal doesn't deserve to make a living wage unless they are part of a union that forces employers to pay wages far beyond what the free market would.
You are a good liberal.

You sound confused. Are you for the market determining wages or for people making what the "living wage" they "deserve?"

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Reading comprehension issues?

You sound confused. Are you for the market determining wages or for people making what the "living wage" they "deserve?"

I'm not getting into a word twisting contest. Your statements in this thread have proven that you are beyond help. Especially the one in my sig.

You are a miserable excuse for a person and the world is worse for having people like you in it.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Just curious, how many mirrors do you have in your house and do you have enough?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You guys just keep on blaming illegals for your troubles. See how much good it does you.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
My job is always up for grabs. It's a global economy. My company could hire someone in India or China, right now. It's nothing new for us engineers. We don't feel entitled to our jobs based on our nationality, we have jobs based on our skills and productivity.
If an illegal kid is smart enough and motivated enough to overcome everything, go to college, get a graduate degree, and prove himself good enough to take my job, not only should he have it, but he should be given a green card and a path to citizenship, because we need as many smart motivated people as we can get in this country.

You certainly go off on a lot of tangents. You started this entire thing saying illegals only get shitty, poverty jobs. That is not the case.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

You certainly go off on a lot of tangents. You started this entire thing saying illegals only get shitty, poverty jobs. That is not the case.

He will be singing a different tune when that actually does happen.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Maybe not to an illegal directly, but a guy who lost his job to an illegal who went back to school.

A hypothetical guy who could go back to school to be an engineer, but is instead sitting in his current dead end job until an illegal takes it?
That's not the guy I worry about. That's a loser.