Obama admin authorizes the CIA to kill a U.S. citizen overseas via drone

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
You know back in the day of our forefathers, killing rebellious people was routine. We killed a shitload of rebels in the civil war. We didn't need a permit to do it either.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You know back in the day of our forefathers, killing rebellious people was routine. We killed a shitload of rebels in the civil war. We didn't need a permit to do it either.

That was an armed rebellion with organized armies. The logic if we were to extend this could be applied to anybody deemed an enemy of the state. We are afforded due process for a reason. If we allow the executive to just decide who they want to kill we may as well cease to exist as a civilized nation.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

So you support killing US citizens because the US government believes they might be terrorist?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Wow. If there was ever a time for Harvey to change his macros from Bush to Obama, now would be an appropriate time.

Just wow.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Dude is preaching violence towards Americans in a warzone. He's a target, probably HV. Smoke him.

Lots of people preach violence against America. When I was in that same warzone we had a lot of people talking shit to us, we didn't kill them, and they weren't even US citizens.

Do you support killing US citizens because the US government believes they are a terrorist?

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Lots of people preach violence against America. When I was in that same warzone we had a lot of people talking shit to us, we didn't kill them, and they weren't even US citizens.

Do you support killing US citizens because the US government believes they are a terrorist?

I'm willing to bet it's a little more than talking shit.

I don't know all the facts, but I'm inclined to believe he's a high value target, and for good reason, given the fact that they are allocating these types of resources towards his destruction. Unless I see otherwise I won't second guess the intel.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Just awful.

totally violates the constitution and due process.

unless someone is a named member of al-qaeda, these powers will likely be abused by the CIA.

look in afghanistan. We are targeting TALIBAN DRUGLORDS, not terrorists. bulllshiitt!!!

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I'm willing to bet it's a little more than talking shit.

I'm sure he is doing a lot more than talking shit, problem is they believe, not they have proven.

I don't know all the facts, but I'm inclined to believe he's a high value target, and for good reason, given the fact that they are allocating these types of resources towards his destruction. Unless I see otherwise I won't second guess the intel.

If you believe in America you should ALWAYS second guess the US government assassinating US citizens, especially if they only suspect. All this is going to do is martyr him, and set a dangerous precedent.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
If you believe in America you should ALWAYS second guess the US government assassinating US citizens, especially if they only suspect. All this is going to do is martyr him, and set a dangerous precedent.

The US government does not do assassinations.

If someone is deemed an enemy combatant, ie, they are at war with the US, I don't think citizenship should be some get out of jail free card. Using a drone is one option out of many courses of action, and depending on the circumstances of the situation, it may be the best option.

I do not think we avoid killing enemies of the state out of fear of martyrdom... and as far as dangerous precedents, you are right. It might be very dangerous to inject yourself into terrorism overseas.

A lot of debate at the right levels should occur and oversight/evidence must be very high... but at first glance I don't see the need to get hysterical.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
“American citizenship doesn’t give you carte blanche to wage war against your own country,” said a counterterrorism official who discussed the classified program on condition of anonymity. “If you cast your lot with its enemies, you may well share their fate.”

I agree with this.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Wow. If there was ever a time for Harvey to change his macros from Bush to Obama, now would be an appropriate time.

Just wow.

That will never happen because that hypocrite does not have a single ounce of integrity. If that libtard does actually post, it'll be "but that traitor Bush!!!!!!!!"

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
The US government does not do assassinations.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If someone is deemed an enemy combatant, ie, they are at war with the US
So, just to be clear, you think that as long as the US government "deems" someone an enemy combatant, and a terrorist, it's ok to kill them, regardless of actual evidence, or a conviction?

I don't think citizenship should be some get out of jail free card.
No, but we do have this thing called a Constitution that guarantees US citizens due process.

and as far as dangerous precedents, you are right. It might be very dangerous to inject yourself into terrorism overseas.
Um no, the dangerous precedent of assassinating US citizens that the US government believes to be terrorist.

... but at first glance I don't see the need to get hysterical.
When the US government is assassinating US citizens without due process because they believe them to be terrorist you should get pretty damn hysterical. I guess it's ok, that is until you are believed to, or "deemed" to be a terrorist because the government doesn't like your political ideas.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I don't hang around Al-qaeda or preach violence against my own country so I'm not worried. Those that do however should be.

Get real, things like the MIAC report that say Constitutionalists, Ron Paul supporters, and anyone with conservative values are potential terrorist. It's just a matter of time once you open the door that that it hits you in the ass.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
So, just to be clear, you think that as long as the US government "deems" someone an enemy combatant, and a terrorist, it's ok to kill them, regardless of actual evidence, or a conviction?

No, not regardless of actual evidence. I think there should be good evidence, although not necessarily a conviction.

No, but we do have this thing called a Constitution that guarantees US citizens due process.

And maybe this is a case for the courts to decide. I think a reasonable argument can be made within the bounds of the Constitution.

Um no, the dangerous precedent of assassinating US citizens that the US government believes to be terrorist.

Equally dangerous can be inaction out of irrational fear or misguided ideals. The government has to make a lot of hard choices and sometimes things need to be carefully vetted at the highest levels... as this situation clearly demonstrates.

When the US government is assassinating US citizens without due process because they believe them to be terrorist you should get pretty damn hysterical. I guess it's ok, that is until you are believed to, or "deemed" to be a terrorist because the government doesn't like your political ideas.

I don't buy your spin, it reeks of paranoia and hysterics. I would be more concerned if the US turned our overseas combat into police actions and all the legal demands that requires.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Equally dangerous can be inaction out of irrational fear or misguided ideals. The government has to make a lot of hard choices and sometimes things need to be carefully vetted at the highest levels... as this situation clearly demonstrates.

Maybe if the guy was actually going to attack America, or there was an immediate threat, unleashing assassination of US citizens is bad because you're scared of what someone might do.

I don't buy your spin, it reeks of paranoia and hysterics. I would be more concerned if the US turned our overseas combat into police actions and all the legal demands that requires.

You don't have to buy it. The only thing that can destroy America ..is America.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Maybe if the guy was actually going to attack America, or there was an immediate threat, unleashing assassination of US citizens is bad because you're scared of what someone might do.

You don't have to buy it. The only thing that can destroy America ..is America.

Looking more and more like Rome every day ;)