Oak Ridge cans Nvidia based Fermi supercomputer; Fermi power use the culprit

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
You can't really compare Charlie to FUD or BSN. All report rumours but only one of them is on a hate campaign. Not that fud completely lacks bias (he's pretty anti apple for example), but it seems to me they try to be pretty neutral these days when it comes to graphics - I suspect partly to stand out from Charlie.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
It only takes one over-the-top lunatic to make the rest of the residents at the madhouse look sane and well adjusted...

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
When did "I heard this from a funny source, lets talk about it" become "Hey, charlie said this so it has to be true!"

What on earth is wrong with talkign about what we read on a satire/crazy website. The fact that charlie is a raving loon half the time should not alter our ability to discuss what he might be refering too. I have started many conversations based on what I read or saw in satire.

Certainly there is an issue if someone was spouting a rumor site as teh end all truth... but unless I missed something noone did.. Everyone just jumped head first into a flame war.

Charlie was wrong, charlie is often wrong. Perhaps he made it up, perhaps he jsut heard wrong.. who cares? If you want to pay attentino to him then do, if not then don't. The important thing here is that based on real information the project is still on the go. At the least this thread should be allowed to spawn into something where others can in fact read what is actually going on instead of flaming teh source and ignoring that many people will continue to go on thinking the message might be the truth.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Your opinion != fact.

Your fact != fact.

You slam Charlie for fabricating stories, bending the truth, and lying. You say we can't believe anything he says because of that. And yet you have a very very fleeting acquaintance with the truth yourself. You've been caught fabricating information and calling it truth. So by your metric of judging Charlie, we should instantly disbelieve any and everything you say.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Your fact != fact.

You slam Charlie for fabricating stories, bending the truth, and lying. You say we can't believe anything he says because of that. And yet you have a very very fleeting acquaintance with the truth yourself. You've been caught fabricating information and calling it truth. So by your metric of judging Charlie, we should instantly disbelieve any and everything you say.

Jesus Christ are you guys quite done yet????

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
@ Keys

Soon as he stops putting words in my mouth or calling me a liar. Which is what he does in every thread when presented with opinions or facts that he doesn't like.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
What's with the attitude? I contributed the link to Sept article.
Not good enough?
Sorry, that wasn't needed on my part. :( I got my threads mixed up, I thought you were reposting.
Charlie was wrong, again. This thread should just be locked as it serves no purpose.
Yes, why leave it open to actually find further clarification or details on the GPGPU sector projects and performance when we can lock it, call it a day well done defending NVIDIA, and have our group therapy potluck by 7:00.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Charlie is full of shit again? No way!

Fuck the rumor sites, if it's not reviewed or previewed on Anandtech, it's utterly irrelevant.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Here ya go boys and girls.
Charlie is just trying to drive up his traffic. And tragically, it's working. :::sigh:::
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/6999/
Can we please, pleeeeaaassseeee stop giving this guy site hits now????????
His new web domain should read something like this:
*www.hardlyaccurate.com*

OP should put a big "FAKE" in the thread title.

I can understand your relief that Charlie was wrong, but lets not get carried away with the hate charlie campaign.

And lets hope legitreviews are legit.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I can understand your relief that Charlie was wrong, but lets not get carried away with the hate charlie campaign.

And lets hope legitreviews are legit.

Believe me, that was nowhere near carried away, but I see your point.

All Charlie had to do, was contact ORNL and ask them. Useless to call Nvidia because they won't give him the time of day. A good journalist usually questions sources, or tries to find something to disprove or back it up before committing text to "paper".

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Believe me, that was nowhere near carried away, but I see your point.

All Charlie had to do, was contact ORNL and ask them. Useless to call Nvidia because they won't give him the time of day. A good journalist usually questions sources, or tries to find something to disprove or back it up before committing text to "paper".

How do you think rumors are spread? Are you really that naive to think that a company will tell you it lost a major contract by asking the receptionist?

If you have an insider (employee generally) inside of a company willing to talk it at least has some legit to it, then you post it. That is what 99% of his articles are based on and I honestly do not care if they are 100% true... Most gossip has some truth to it but may not be accurate all the time.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
A good journalist would never believe nvidia. Heck fermi was on time and they even had a fake up to prove it.

Anyways Charlie looks to be wrong now and you nvidia employees can happily go after him. He don't care, only increases his exposure.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
How do you think rumors are spread? Are you really that naive to think that a company will tell you it lost a major contract by asking the receptionist?

If you have an insider (employee generally) inside of a company willing to talk it at least has some legit to it, then you post it. That is what 99% of his articles are based on and I honestly do not care if they are 100% true... Most gossip has some truth to it but may not be accurate all the time.
Well, some people were born yesterday, you see.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Don't use the telephone much I see. When you call a company, even the smallest business that has a receptionist, they will usually direct you to someone that they think can help you after you give them a little information. What is naive is to think that I meant Charlie get all his information from a receptionist. Really Zstream, trying to be this difficult intentionally is just a waste of time, don't you think?

A good journalist would never believe nvidia. Heck fermi was on time and they even had a fake up to prove it.

Anyways Charlie looks to be wrong now and you nvidia employees can happily go after him. He don't care, only increases his exposure.

That would mean every journalist that wrote an article after interviewing Nvidia, isn't a good journalist? And a good journalist would not break NDA and lose his insider track altogether only to become a hate machine because of his own actions. The mock up card was used because the real Fermi was too damn ugly at the time. Still in testing stages, and enough to conduct some testing benches. Unfortunate that it wasn't ready for prime time during GTC.
Yes, Charlie looks to be wrong now. I am happy about it. I won't lie. What goes around comes around.

Well, some people were born yesterday, you see.
There is the attitude again. Did you think I reposted again? I think you should give me a little more credit than thinking Zstream was actually correct in thinking I meant that a "receptionist" be interviewed at ORNL. Did you? That would be pretty funny.

You guys should simmer down a bit. IMHO.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That would mean every journalist that wrote an article after interviewing Nvidia, isn't a good journalist? And a good journalist would not break NDA and lose his insider track altogether only to become a hate machine because of his own actions.

I snipped a lot of that as I really dont care about the Charlie/NV/Fermi/Oak ridge drama.

I'd say your dead wrong about the NDA though. A good journalist would not sign an NDA. Revewers and marketers might but not journalists.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I snipped a lot of that as I really dont care about the Charlie/NV/Fermi/Oak ridge drama.

I'd say your dead wrong about the NDA though. A good journalist would not sign an NDA. Revewers and marketers might but not journalists.

Oh that damn semantics thing again. Yes, you're right. Reviewers would be a better description. But we are talking about Charlie here. More akin to a blogger than a journalist.

And the Charlie/NV/Fermi/Oak ridge drama is pretty much what this thread is about though. :::shrugs:::

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Don't use the telephone much I see. When you call a company, even the smallest business that has a receptionist, they will usually direct you to someone that they think can help you after you give them a little information. What is naive is to think that I meant Charlie get all his information from a receptionist. Really Zstream, trying to be this difficult intentionally is just a waste of time, don't you think?

Uhh no, they point you to the marketing PR department. Thus my statement of being useless is still accurate. On the other hand trying to act like everything he does is a fraud is silly.

I do not know if you have worked in a large organization/company before but rumors are spread every day. Most of them have some sliver of truth to it...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Uhh no, they point you to the marketing PR department. Thus my statement of being useless is still accurate. On the other hand trying to act like everything he does is a fraud is silly.

I do not know if you have worked in a large organization/company before but rumors are spread every day. Most of them have some sliver of truth to it...

OH? So it does go beyond the receptionist then? So when you said "receptionist" before, what you really meant to say was PR dept. ?
Secondly. Did you call ORNL? Did the receptionist point you to the PR dept? Does ORNL even have a PR dept? I don't know. Why are you guessing like this? What for?

Outrage

Oct 9, 1999
The mock up card was used because the real Fermi was too damn ugly at the time. Still in testing stages, and enough to conduct some testing benches. Unfortunate that it wasn't ready for prime time during GTC.
Yes

Nvidia really tried to hide the fact that the card was a mock up card, if they cant come clean on such a trivial thing, you have to wonder how much they will try to spin this thing with oak ridge.

Hidig a ugly card vs losing a contract for a supercomputer.....

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Oh that damn semantics thing again. Yes, you're right. Reviewers would be a better description. But we are talking about Charlie here. More akin to a blogger than a journalist.

And the Charlie/NV/Fermi/Oak ridge drama is pretty much what this thread is about though. :::shrugs:::

Well given that no one knows anything definite in this thread and the outcome one way or the other doesn't affect anyone here in anyway and it involves Charlie, Nvidia and fanboys (on both sides) it really can only be viewed as entertainment. :twisted:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Nvidia really tried to hide the fact that the card was a mock up card, if they cant come clean on such a trivial thing, you have to wonder how much they will try to spin this thing with oak ridge.

Hidig a ugly card vs losing a contract for a supercomputer.....

What thing with Oak Ridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.