Oak Ridge cans Nvidia based Fermi supercomputer; Fermi power use the culprit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Or the daily show. Guess what? Daily show is usually more accurate than CNN.

No I'm sticking with SNL. The daily show does not go out of it's way to make shit up and then promote it as the truth. SNL will make stuff up and promote it as satire, which of course is how google lists charlie's site.

Comparing Charlie to the Daily Show is a monumental insult to John Stewart.

In the end you're just clouding the message by attacking the credibility of the messenger. Stick to the subject and prove or disprove it based on available information please.
What information? He has no source, no proof and hence no credibility? Just like many, many other "stories" he posts that never get verified and or end being false. I guess he is to AMD fans what Fox News is to the right wing.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
True, but he also said TSMC cancelled their 32nm node and there hasn't been anything about that other than the speculation generated by Charlie's own article on the subject.

I'm not putting any stock in the Oak Ridge article until I see/read either Oak Ridge or Nvidia confirming it.

Well, at the end of the day he's still a rumor monger. We can't take anything Charlie says at face value. I've said in the past that any rumor sites that hits 50% on the rumors is having an amazing run. Some of his stuff is dead on but due to the nature of the business, it's more likely than not 10% truth and 90% BS. I am not saying and would not advocate someone reading his site to think he is being 100% truthful. In fact, he probably makes up some of the crap he writes and it's just luck that he was correct. And some of it really is crap. It's just that he's been right on enough issues that we should read the article, weight the evidence and then come to a conclusion. We shouldn't discount what he says out of hand just because he's been wrong before. The boy who cried wolf was also a liar but that doesn't mean he wasn't telling the truth at least once when he cried wolf.

What Wreckage does, as I said, is shoot the messenger because he does not like the message. Wreckage has no problems posting stuff from Fuad Abazovic or Theo Valich who once worked with Charlie Demerjian. They all have rumor sites and as such, we should always read what they say with a skeptical eye. But being skeptical does not mean discounting what he says out of hand even if he has an obvious bias. Someone can be biased but still speak truthfully even if what he says has an obvious slant. Just because they are wrong often (and that's the nature of their business) doesn't mean they are wrong all of the time.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Well, at the end of the day he's still a rumor monger. We can't take anything Charlie says at face value. I've said in the past that any rumor sites that hits 50% on the rumors is having an amazing run. Some of his stuff is dead on but due to the nature of the business, it's more likely than not 10% truth and 90% BS. I am not saying and would not advocate someone reading his site to think he is being 100% truthful. In fact, he probably makes up some of the crap he writes and it's just luck that he was correct. And some of it really is crap. It's just that he's been right on enough issues that we should read the article, weight the evidence and then come to a conclusion. We shouldn't discount what he says out of hand just because he's been wrong before. The boy who cried wolf was also a liar but that doesn't mean he wasn't telling the truth at least once when he cried wolf.

Look, I understand why ATI fans like him I do. It's similar to why Nazis like Hitler. He tells them what they want to hear. Whether it's true or not you only care about the message. You just have to understand why those who are not fans, don't like him and why most people don't accept such a high failure rate in news. Much how like many of us enjoy living the the free world.

Anyone can see that what you are doing is shooting the messenger.
No. Since Charlie has no source to back up his article. He is the source, not the messenger. I'm am attacking the source.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
What information? He has no source, no proof and hence no credibility? Just like many, many other "stories" he posts that never get verified and or end being false. I guess he is to AMD fans what Fox News is to the right wing.

It's a rumor mill. More like Access Hollywood or Inside Edition. What comes out of it is very subject to scrutiny and rightfully so. The whole ideal is to be ahead of the curve regardless of whomever gets the short end of the stick.

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Everyone needs to take a big step back and take a deep breath. Then repeat "The ravings of a lunatic will not upset me."

Charlie is entertaining.. anyone who beleives everything an entertainer says shoudl give their head a shake.. But it doesn't mean it is any less interesting to talk about some of the things he brings up.

It seems to me that what stops a big project like this is not a purely technical reason, it is either that someone already did what they want to do (one woudl be surprseid how many projects where I work get called off when someone finds uot someone else beat us to it, granted not 50million dollar projects), or they all of a sudden have no funding for it. It is almost certain that if the project was canned it had nothing to do with Nvidia. Even though to just up and stop it in itself is unlikely, Charlie may have heard that the thing was going ot be delayed a bit for whatever one of a billion legitimate reasons and has jumped on this.

Amazing how what could be a string of real facts can be skewed. "Nvidia and oak ridge are currently discussing power consuption goals, at teh smae time the project has been delayed x months for unknown reasons. Therefor Nvidia must have been providign way too power hungry cores and are the reason for a delay!" Or something to that effect.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Look, I understand why ATI fans like him I do. It's similar to why Nazis like Hitler. He tells them what they want to hear. Whether it's true or not you only care about the message. You just have to understand why those who are not fans, don't like him and why most people don't accept such a high failure rate in news. Much how like many of us enjoy living the the free world.

No. Since Charlie has no source to back up his article. He is the source, not the messenger. I'm am attacking the source.

Even the New York Times has articles that has "anonymous sources." If we get technical about it, they are really unsourced and unsubstantiated news.

I make no claims about liking him or hating him. It is you who are implying that anyone who impartially judges what he says are "ATI fans who like him because he feeds them what they want" I judge his articles on whether he presents plausible/credible rumors or not and that is all I am saying. Do not make assumptions about me that are untrue.

You on the other hand are dismissing anything he says because he isn't right all of the time. Never mind that it has been pointed out to you many many times (another case of you ignoring facts when convenient) that he is in the rumor and speculation business. He's simply a rumor monger and I treat him as such. We all know why you don't like him. He has an obvious bias towards nVidia just like you have an obvious bias towards ATI.

Furthermore, unsubstantiated news when positive towards nVidia has been harped upon and treated as if it was true by you. Now you are suddenly concerned with whether news is substantiated and sourced when it's negative towards nVidia. We all recognize your bias but don't try to make it seem like you are above some of the antics Charlie has pulled since we've seen some of the many shenanigans you've done here. Some of it much worse than what you are accusing others like Charlie of.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Here ya go boys and girls.
Charlie is just trying to drive up his traffic. And tragically, it's working. :::sigh:::
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/6999/
Can we please, pleeeeaaassseeee stop giving this guy site hits now????????
His new web domain should read something like this:
*www.hardlyaccurate.com*

OP should put a big "FAKE" in the thread title.

My issue is with someone like Wreckage who instantly thinks any unsourced and unsubstantiated bad news about ATI never gets questioned and is treated as if it was true but the instant any negative news about nVidia gets put out, the news is dismissed and even the messenger is derided. Any positive nVidia rumors (such as Nintendo using Tegra in their next handheld) never gets questioned at all and is treated as if it was true even though it is unsourced and unsubstantiated. Not that Charlie isn't someone known to be biased against nVidia mind you. I'm just saying know the source for what it is and then weigh what is known to come to your own conclusion whether the actual news/rumor/whatever is credible or a load of bull.

As for the Legit Review article...I find it funny that it is worded as "someone in Computing and Computational Sciences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and they stated that the SemiAccurate article was inaccurate and had no further comment." If there isn't at least a little smoke shouldn't the person at Oak Ridge National Laboratory say the story was false and not inaccurate? Maybe it's not so much canceled as there are some issues that Oak Ridge National Laboratory wants fixed or changed. Either way, it's from a rumor site and time will tell whether it is true, false, or somewhere in between.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
My issue is with someone like Wreckage who instantly thinks any unsourced and unsubstantiated bad news about ATI never gets questioned and is treated as if it was true but the instant any negative news about nVidia gets put out, the news is dismissed and even the messenger is derided. Any positive nVidia rumors (such as Nintendo using Tegra in their next handheld) never gets questioned at all and is treated as if it was true even though it is unsourced and unsubstantiated. Not that Charlie isn't someone known to be biased against nVidia mind you. I'm just saying know the source for what it is and then weigh what is known to come to your own conclusion whether the actual news/rumor/whatever is credible or a load of bull.

As for the Legit Review article...I find it funny that it is worded as "someone in Computing and Computational Sciences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and they stated that the SemiAccurate article was inaccurate and had no further comment." If there isn't at least a little smoke shouldn't the person at Oak Ridge National Laboratory say the story was false and not inaccurate? Maybe it's not so much canceled as there are some issues that Oak Ridge National Laboratory wants fixed or changed. Either way, it's from a rumor site and time will tell whether it is true, false, or somewhere in between.

Time will tell???? Dare I mention the possibility of the person at Oak Ridge was poking fun at the title of the website that started the rumor? E.G. SemiAccurate is "innacurate". What if his single word response was "broccoli"? What would that have meant to you?
I swear, sometimes it seems like some folks "like" to be in the dark so the spec could fly rampant. Is it more fun? Probably. But I'd prefer knowing. But that's just me.

P.S. I started another thread in the hopes of reducing the # of hits Charlies site got from the OP in this thread. I asked the mods to lock it up now that the OP added "FAKE" to this thread.

Last edited:

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I'm just saying know the source for what it is and then weigh what is known to come to your own conclusion whether the actual news/rumor/whatever is credible or a load of bull.

The source was a satirical website, known for false information and an extreme bias. Hence it should be ignored and or ridiculed.

Your support of that site is what it is.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
The source was a satirical website, known for false information and an extreme bias. Hence it should be ignored and or ridiculed.

Pot, kettle references to absence of reflection of the visible spectrum?

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

I don't support that site. In fact, I don't visit it except when forums I visit, like this one, point to an article there. Don't mistake my impartiality with support due to your obvious bias. Everyone and their grandmother knows what type of site Charlie runs and knows that he is biased. It is a rumor site. He doesn't run one that pretends to be very "serious" but that doesn't mean he doesn't post news.

Everything I've said in this thread is factual while you continually argue simply because you can't admit your beloved company is capable of mistakes nor would you ever admit you are wrong no matter how much evidence is presented. So go ahead and ignore the truth when you don't like the information presented as you've always done in the past.

Time will tell???? Dare I mention the possibility of the person at Oak Ridge was poking fun at the title of the website that started the rumor? E.G. SemiAccurate is "innacurate". What if his single word response was "broccoli"? What would that have meant to you?
I swear, sometimes it seems like some folks "like" to be in the dark so the spec could fly rampant. Is it more fun? Probably. But I'd prefer knowing. But that's just me.

Quite possible. It didn't occur to me. I just found the wording a little strange since the scientific type aren't known for humor. Usually when there is contention between two companies and a deal is being renegotiated the responses play down any differences while leaving a tiny hole to wiggle through. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

Again, I never said it was true. I've always said to keep a skeptical eye towards any news from sites like Semi-Accurate. I just find it hypocritical of Wreckage to suddenly be concerned about any news being fully sourced and confirmed when it may be negative towards nVidia when he's never bothered to question any rumors that are positive towards nVidia. Many of the rumors originating from former co-workers of Charlie as a matter of fact. While the tone of the rumor sites may be different, BSN, Fudzilla and Semi-Accurate are all cut from the same cloth.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Everything I've said in this thread is factual while you continually argue simply because you can't admit your beloved company is capable of mistakes nor would you ever admit you are wrong no matter how much evidence is presented. So go ahead and ignore the truth when you don't like the information presented as you've always done in the past.

Your opinion != fact.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
and yet the daily show continues to remind its viewers that it's not a news show, and it's a scary thought that its viewers are considering it as such.
Not so on topic, but why not? It's probably less biased than any of the "true" news networks available today. I'd rather have people watching the Daily Show as their only news source than any other show/network.

EDIT: Just saw the other thread was locked, so more on topic: nowhere in the legitreviews article did they say anyone denied the claims nor that the project even existed. Now I don't know if the posting on semiaccurate was entirely false and made up to get traffic, or if there was a rumor floating around that supposedly substantiated it. Either way, what's the status of that project?

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Not so on topic, but why not? It's probably less biased than any of the "true" news networks available today. I'd rather have people watching the Daily Show as their only news source than any other show/network.

EDIT: Just saw the other thread was locked, so more on topic: nowhere in the legitreviews article did they say anyone denied the claims nor that the project even existed. Now I don't know if the posting on semiaccurate was entirely false and made up to get traffic, or if there was a rumor floating around that supposedly substantiated it. Either way, what's the status of that project?

"Adrew Humber over at NVIDIA who informed us that the original press release that was issued in September is still valid and that nothing has changed."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/pr_oakridge_093009.html

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
"Adrew Humber over at NVIDIA who informed us that the original press release that was issued in September is still valid and that nothing has changed."

http://www.nvidia.com/object/pr_oakridge_093009.html
Yes, I read the article, thank you for contributing nothing.
I'd be more inclined to believe SemiAccurate than an NV press officer, and Oak Ridge over both.
How do you like your bias, good sir? :p Honestly, though, I'm in the same boat. I'll take blatant hate and op-ed style writing regarding industry rumors over corporate ambiguity and coyness.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Yes, I read the article, thank you for contributing nothing.
How do you like your bias, good sir? :p Honestly, though, I'm in the same boat. I'll take blatant hate and op-ed style writing regarding industry rumors over corporate ambiguity and coyness.

What's with the attitude? I contributed the link to Sept article.
Not good enough?

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
I think its funny how wreckage attacks charlies credibility (rightfully so), when he himself posts fudzilla articles....

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
I think its funny how wreckage attacks charlies credibility (rightfully so), when he himself posts fudzilla articles....

I don't see either Fud or BSN as rabid as Charlie. I also don't rush to their defense. Attack them all you want, I don't blame you. Now why people (certain people) feel the need to defend Charlie...well we all know why.

Now you want to talk irony. It's the people who attack me as the messenger all the time and not the source.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
You get attacked not necessarily because you present news that could be seen as bad for ATI, but sometimes the way you present it is misleading (I remember a thread you made linking to fudzilla a few days ago with a very miselading title or some such)

Make the thread title the full name of the article, link it, state your opinion, and you'd get attacked less I think

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
P.S. I started another thread in the hopes of reducing the # of hits Charlies site got from the OP in this thread. I asked the mods to lock it up now that the OP added "FAKE" to this thread.

I'm going to port my post over from that thread over to this one since it was locked. (why not merged?)

Lewis Rothschild: They don't have a choice! Bob Rumson is the only one doing the talking! People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They're so thirsty for it they'll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there's no water, they'll drink the sand.

President Andrew Shepherd: Lewis, we've had presidents who were beloved, who couldn't find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don't drink the sand because they're thirsty. They drink the sand because they don't know the difference.

The American President, great movie. I love this conversation, it highlights why the business Charlie is in is a business that exists in the first place.

People are thirsty, they want knowledge, they want to feel like they have an understanding of what the hell is going on.

And in the absence of Nvidia filling the information void with legitimate info regarding fermi status updates and milestone accomplishments the people are willing to drink up whatever crap info they have access to.

And that absence of leadership, the absence of legitimate information is what breeds the existence of rumor sites like semi-accurate and BSN.

If Nvidia really wanted to eliminate these false accusations of deals gone bad and designs gone bad they'd be a little more pro-active about directly enlightening the community with status updates and so on. Intel does it with Anandtech, they get hands-on previews of CPU's 6 months before they are released.

The community drinks the sand, regardless whether or not they know the difference, because there is no other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.