Solved! O&O Defrag 23 doesn't see my ssd drives

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

When starting up O&O Defrag 23, I see all the drives, but the 3 M2 (ssd) drives have no ssd icon. So the program doesn't recognizes the ssd drives. Of course I have the samsung nvm driver installed. My computer has no problems with the 3 M2 units, so I can use them fully. Does anyone know what the problem could be, because I am stuck with the program I bought and even O&O support could not help me (!!??) So your help is highly appreciated. I have included a screenshot of the 3 first drives, which are the 3 M2 units. As you can see NO ssd icon. What could be the reason? I really don't know it any more. Perhaps one of you do.

Thanks in advance, Rubax

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    12.3 KB · Views: 4

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Thanks for your reply. Can I also do that with the other sata drives. So if I understand you correctly we don't need separate defrag programs anymore and let windows 10 pro do the job for us. I have 3 sata drives only for storage..

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for your reply. Can I also do that with the other sata drives. So if I understand you correctly we don't need separate defrag programs anymore and let windows 10 pro do the job for us. I have 3 sata drives only for storage..
Windows 10 can handle all SSDs (both SATA and NVMe versions) as well as regular hard drives.

The only difference really being SSDs don't need to be defragmented like hard drives do. So if you set Windows to do it automatically, it will run a TRIM command on the SSDs, and defrag any hard drives (as needed).

Reactions: Rubax

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you, it seems that Windows 10 pro has not installed the defrag program LOL How about that. That is also new to me. How do I fix that? Call Microsoft support .

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Very good link. Thank you!! BUT here it is about to go wrong: See please screenshot. Windows comes with a message that the defrag program is NOT installed. How do I get installed. I thought the program was a standard one within windows?

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    51.1 KB · Views: 9

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Very good link. Thank you!! BUT here it is about to go wrong: See please screenshot. Windows comes with a message that the defrag program is NOT installed. How do I get installed. I thought the program was a standard one within windows?
It's part of Windows 10, and it's not something you install separately.

Are you using a full, legit version of Windows 10? If you are, maybe you have malware or something installed which prevents it from opening.

You can also get to it buy typing "defra" in search on your task bar:

2.jpg

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
I use an Insiders preview version legit. Version 2004, Built: 1904.1
But I found the option you gave me. So here we go.

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Okay. The defrag was off. I uses to use a defrag from auslogic. But I guess that program is obsolete now and I can uninstall the program. I have tagged the option of defrag in ALL drives on a daily bases. Is that correct?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Defragmentating an SSD is just extra read/write wear for no reason.

With HDDs, the main issue with fragmentation was the read/write heads thrashing around to access different parts of the same file. With SSDs, there are obviously no mechanical heads and practically no seek time whatsoever. There's almost no disadvantage to fragmentation aside from slight capacity utilization (insignificant).

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Okay. The defrag was off. I uses to use a defrag from auslogic. But I guess that program is obsolete now and I can uninstall the program. I have tagged the option of defrag in ALL drives on a daily bases. Is that correct?
That's what I do.

I let Windows 10 handle it once a week.

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Okay.. that seems to be enough I guess. Okay I have already uninstalled defrag from auslogis. And from now on I will let Windows do the job. I tried in manually and everything went okay. So no complains anymore. I ques I will not see it working. It is most likely a "hidden" feature.
Thank you for your enormous help. I really appreciate it very much. I wish you from a windy,rainy and cold Amsterdam all the best. And have a great season.

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
That's what I do.

I let Windows 10 handle it once a week.

Well I called Microsoft and they told me that it is an Insiders Preview issue. I reinstalled the genuine copy of 1909 Windows 10 Pro US-INTL. And yes
the internal defrag was available. No no more insiders previews for me again lol

Rubax

Dec 13, 2019
Is there a way to monitor the defragment program from Windows 10 pro. Because nothing tells me if the program really works.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Is there a way to monitor the defragment program from Windows 10 pro. Because nothing tells me if the program really works.

You can run defrag from the command prompt which has a verbose option to give you more feedback.

HDDs:
But I know the program really works because I've seen what a modern Windows install without a working auto defrag system looks like. On WinXP most people could get away without defragging for a year and even then I observed minimal performance drop-off.

On Vista and anything newer though, often more than 6 months shows an observable performance difference. 10% fragmentation is easily noticeable.

One thing to bear in mind though is that a freshly defragmented file system isn't necessarily desirable: Packing lots of (commonly-written-to) files right next to each other with no room for growth is not what you want. A bit of fragmentation often does give a bit of room for growth even if it means that a commonly-written-to file is in two fragments rather than one, because it will only be in one piece for a very short period of time.

TLDR: there is honestly no need to obsess about the fragmentation state. If I was checking my grandma's ancient PC every 6 months, I'd check the defrag UI and possibly run it if it hasn't been run in a long time, but other than that it would be like insisting on opening your PC every week to dust it out: only downsides, and there will be no observable difference in having made the effort.

SSDs:
I've never seen an SSD system where optimisation hasn't been run for that length of time.

Last edited: