O.K. time for in depth disscution: marijuana legalize or criminalize?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
gohan

you're absolutely right man, I don't know how many times i've been pulled over with a can of dr. pepper in my hand... And I'm surprised that the liqour companies haven't already resorted to spiking sodas with vodka and rum yet...

On to something else...

It's a common misconception that everyone that smokes get is high as a ktie all the time, not so. If you take into account everyone that drinks, the majority of people are social drinkers and don't get piss face drunk everytime they put their lips on a bottle. I personally have tried both and I can't believe that marijuana is still illegal and alcohol isn't. I've never seen anyone that was high do 110 through a school zone, get pissed and beat the shlt out of their children, or pass out in a puddle of their own vomit. I'm not saying that either is right or encouraging anyone to do either, I'm just wondering what makes it so bad to the point where it's a crime? I've always held the belief that either both should be criminalized, or neither should be criminalized. I have since stopped not only smoking but also drinking (never really aquired a taste for alcohol), and still feel the same way as I did when I was smoking. For everyone that is so staunchly against the legalization of marijuana, go out, smoke a joint and let me know what it is about it that is so evil and horrible.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Convex you're implying that to make an informed decision on the subject we have to be users of it. I disagree, I think that by reading and having plenty of well balanced research anyone can reach a competent decision on it. An extreme, but I think valid example is that I would venture to say most rapists really liked it. That doesnt mean we should legalize rape though. Like I said its the extreme, but you understand the point is what can't always have what we want just because teh other circumstances arent right at the time. Would I support decriminalizing it? Not at this point in time, although I do see it as a possibility in the future we can have things like the pot breathalizer. Personally I dont smoke, but I've had a wide variety of friends who have tried pot, speed, acid, coke, etc. Its not for me and eventually most of my friends decide its not for them too, but I just dont feel ike society is at the point that law could be changed.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Drugs are a victimless crime, rape is not. That's the fundamental difference. Why is an action that hurts nobody but yourself a crime? The only answer that a logical mind can come to is that the goverment feels they alone are competent to make decisions regarding your life. How far should we carry that?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
So how is everyone today? :D

I?ve re-read many posts in this thread again as well as the recent contributions, sometimes twice. Firstoff, thanks apoppin and searcher for taking time to explain your position. Obviously that other guy lacked the ability and tact to do so and simply bailed as I knew he would. But thank you for appealing to my reasonable side and rising above all the name calling. It makes a big difference. Somehow when I?m called a ?circle jerk? my blinders go up. Imagine that.

Nobody really mentioned the medicinal virtues of weed until recently. Yes I have heard pot helps with pain, vomiting and some diseases (MS, glaucoma). I?m totally in favor of this. Government is standing in the way of making it legal (as medicine) in all states, especially the republicans whose platform is blatantly anti-pot. However, all that glitters is not gold.

I spent about a half hour doing some web search on pot. While I didn?t bump into anything that resembled BS propaganda or obvious government cover-ups, I did notice most of the harmful effects of pot that I was taught in HS and college are now downplayed. So regarding seeing killer bees on one?s backyard?I don?t believe pot alone (even very strong stuff) is likely to cause that to happen. It?s possible one or two people flipped out and a mountain was made of a molehill?and the event when into a study, which wormed its way into Britannica.

Anyway what I found shocking was the lack of real knowledge on pot. I read several doctor?s opinions on weed that basically said ?we know a little bit but really need to study pot much more?. Oy! This drug has been around forever and in the 21st century we still don?t have a good grasp on its pros and cons? This lead credence to many opinions I previously disregarded in this thread.

This all being said I?m still dead-set against legalizing pot in any way shape or form (except medicinal) for youth. I still feel weed is a diving board leading into a pool of harder stuff. However, I?m now fully in agreement with some others here -- rational adults should be free to decide on their own what to do regarding pot. I?d still put some restrictions on this to protect in the innocent -- no free cannabis from Jelly!

Anyway, I?ll prolly post more on this later as I haven?t fully thought through how legalization might work without harming folks who aren?t being harmed now?and I don?t want to make you read through a book cuz I hate book-posts, too!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Thanks for the rational post, JellyBaby.

I am also not in favor of making marijuana available to minors.

As for marijuana being a springboard to harder drugs, I have to agree. It can be. But then tobacco and alcohol also are in this same category (along with sugar). ANYTHING that alters your mood or perception can encourage those who have a tendency to experiment to 'harder' drugs.

That is why taxing pot is important to fund education and give young people real alternatives to make intellegent informed choices.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wouldn't you guys feel bad if Jellybaby became a pothead, quit school and drove a VW bus around for the rest of his life? :frown:

searcher

Oct 14, 1999
JellyBaby:

Not that it should mean anything to you but your last post gives me a whole new respect for you. You are obviously not the closed-minded idiot that I thought you were. :) You have shown yourself to be quite the opposite, I am impressed. I sincerely appreciate your post.

DoomGuy on the otherhand: :D

"Notice pretty much all the people defending pot are the ones that use or used it and they enjoyed it. They wont admit that it probobly has done some unseen damage to their bodies. If pot had more benefits than sideeffects it would be legal but its not."

Notice how pretty much all the people defending pot have more intelligent posts than yours. But HEY! WAIT A MINUTE. Wasn't one of their "educational" slogans, "Why do you think they call it Dope?" Is it beginning to look like not everything you've been taught about the evils of marijuana may in fact, not be based on fact?

The three "Big Grab" bags of Chee-tos I ate this week has no doubt "done some unforeseen damage to my body", what is your point? I like Chee-tos and often have a bag during my morning break. Have you seen the calories and fat for chee-tos or cornchips, 1 1/4 oz serving, 200 calories/120 from fat. A "Big Grab" is 2 1/2 servings, 500 calories, 300 from fat, no way that's good for me. My point is that besides cigarettes and alcohol, there are a multitude of other things we Americans consume that are harmful to us, but the overwhelming majority of them are also of some benefit to us, cigarettes being a glaring exception.

Give me truthful information, the pluses and the minuses and let me decide for myself which of these risks I will take. Education has done an excellent job of lowering the number of nicotine addicts in this country, albeit with some propaganda, it has for the most part been by using factual information to educate us. If our government were to admit to the real truth about the effects of marijuana they would have no choice but to legalize it. I just can't make myself believe that a couple one-hitters of an evening is of any consequence greater than the myriad of other normal consumables that are not particularly good for us.

Oh, and JellyBaby, I also agree it should not be legal for youths, the same rules that alcohol users enjoy, works for me. No doubt there will be underage smoking, just as there is underage drinking and underage cigarette smoking now. If, my children were going to do one of these three, and, I get to choose which one it is, and, all three are legal, my choice for them is most certainly marijuana. Alcohol is infinitely more debilitating and mind-bending than marijuana. Cigarettes and alcohol both pose a greater health risk and are infinitely more addictive.

We need stronger measures to prevent our youth from harming themselves with Alcohol, tobacco or various and sundry other drugs - NOT JAIL, that will NEVER work. unless the jail time is given to those who provide the contraband to a minor. But be REASONABLE about it.

I offered to let my children drink, in our home, this past New Years. My daughter was 19 and my son was 17 at the time. Being the year 2000 it just seemed like a relatively harmless once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing to do. I would not have allowed them to get stinking drunk and I would not even consider making this offer to anyone but my own children. Daughter absolutely refused, giving almost no consideration to the subject. I light-heartedly chided her that it is OK to lighten-up a little, she is a valedictorian and in her 3rd year of college. She really is a little too regimental in my opinion, but hey, she's a big girl and is quite capable of making her own decisions. She makes her daddy proud. :) My son, a regular church-goer, even though he has never seen us in church. We are believers in Christ, just not too fond of church, and that is all I'll say about that for now. He's a great kid. After thinking about it he decided he would have a drink. We made Bahama Mamas and he had one, took three hours to drink it and didn't quite finish it. I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions about this, was I a bad parent?

FWIW
I never learned to like alcohol, never had a hangover but have been drunk several times, a loooong time ago. I do not drink beer, can't stand it. Whiskey is another story, Southern Comfort and Seven-Up, or shots of Jack Daniels, that is the alcohol buzz I like. Mind you, I still don't like the taste but, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Three 12 oz. glasses, maybe 4 if the evening is long enough, is all the buzz I want. Moderation, moderation, moderation. New Years Eve was my most recent consumption of alcohol. I had two Bahama Mamas.

The 16th of this month I will have been a non-smoker for 8 months, 3 packs a day for most of the last 25 years, I am lovin bein a non-smoker, healthiest decision of my life. Emphezema, (sp?) slowly suffocating over a ten year span, sure seems like a lousy way to die, and lung cancer just as bad.

Michael

P.S. After reading through this post it occurs to me that this is more personally revealing than I really care to be on a bulletin board, and it seems to wander a bit...it took me too long to write it, I'm leavin it.

searcher

Oct 14, 1999

<< There'd be a 24hr traffic jam with everybody going 25 in the 65 MPH zone >>

Maybe we could have a marijuana lane...naw bumper car are for the carnival. :eek:

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< You are obviously not the closed-minded idiot that I thought you were. >>

searcher, most definitely not closed-minded. As for idiocy, well that's hit 'n miss with me. Basically when someone calls me uneducated, brainwashed, ignorant, pig-headed (in the same post!) and on top of that someone mentions a government conspiracy...I take notice and rethink everything.

<< My point is that besides cigarettes and alcohol, there are a multitude of other things we Americans consume that are harmful to us, but the overwhelming majority of them are also of some benefit to us, cigarettes being a glaring exception. >>

The big difference is that cigarettes, alcohol and pot are either physcially or mentally addictive. Sugar, caffeine, hehe Cheetos, aren't nearly as bad but this can be argued (people do have withdrawl symptoms when they don't get their coffee or Mountain Dew, I've seen this and it's not pretty...but it's rather harmless). And sugar, caffeine, Cheetos, etc. don't have much power to lead you down the dark path of more dangerous entertainments. Basically most of us freak out over substances that are harmful to ourselves and others, that can lead to more dangerous addictions, that are delivered in obvious fashion (needles, bongs, etc.), and that aren't commonplace in society.

But I agree adults should legally be able to choose what they put in their bodies (all but the most lethal stuff, that is). And I now totally agree the federal government should get the hell out of the picture once and for all.

<< Are you kidding, that would be a 100% improvement over the tight ass he seems to be now >>

My ass tightens in direct proportion to how many times I'm called &quot;circle jerk&quot;, &quot;wanker&quot; (kinda liked that one), etc. :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
JellyBaby, I also liked your newer posts (and complemented you). I hope I wasn't too hard on you earlier, but I did want to help you see along other lines of reasoning.

There are a LOT of things Americans choose to put into their body that is harmful, cigarettes being a glaring example of something ALL bad with NO positives.

White sugar has become a drug. It is so refined and bleached and removed from nature as to be only an empty useless calorie with &quot;taste&quot; being it's only value. It has only negative health effects.

Caffeine - a powerful stimulant - is added to children's soft drinks. The only reason I can think of is to 'addict' children to the 'speedy feeling'. Caffeine has NO taste benefits. Yet there is no strong public outcry against it. The government does not ban caffeine in children's drinks. Do we need conclusive 'proof' that it is harmful to children?

Please note, I am NOT recommending ANYONE use marijuana! I am just replying to the topic's question of legalize or criminalize.

Alcohol is in the same league as marijuana. It alters perception and is subject to abuse. Therefore they need to be REGULATED. But NOT criminalized.

searcher

Oct 14, 1999
JellyBaby, you make a legitimate point relating to &quot;power to lead you down the dark path of more dangerous entertainments.&quot; But, I don't think marijuana has this power, it is quite simply, curiosity that has this power. I don't buy the argument that marijuana is a gateway drug, I think it is simply a lame attempt to put some dark side to marijuana when no other can be found. Once the naysayers have to face the fact that most everything they were told about pot is false they are reduced to the &quot;gateway drug&quot; argument. After people try marijuana and see how it is nothing like the hype I think it is totally natural to then question what they have been told about the harder stuff. You see, it is the mis-information and natural curiosity that is the gateway if there is a gateway.

I think addiction is something that only a small percentage of our population suffers from. The rest of us can use responsibly. Yeah, I know many of you see any use as abuse but that is simply not true. For the addiction suseptible portion of our society we must have treatment, just as we have for alcohol and tobacco. Decriminalization, Education and treatment is the solution to any drug problem we may have. I say &quot;may have&quot; because as someone else pointed out, the numbers for alcohol and cigarette related deaths dwarf the so-called drug problem. Based on the facts, the attention drugs have received is insanely disproportionate. The negative aspects of drugs are almost all a result of them being illegal.

I also want to make it clear that I am not recommending marijuana, although I do know a few Type A personality people that might be helped by a hit now and then. :p

Michael

[EDIT]I am encouraged to see no one trying to deny that alcohol, nicotine and caffeine are drugs. This tells me that we are beginning to get through.[/EDIT]

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< I apologize for calling you a circlejerk and a wanker. You still are a stubborn SOB and I won't take that back >>

Red Dawn. Thank you and I accept and also apologize for telling you to p!ss off and that you're a waste of material. I am a stubborn SOB and probably won't change. Gets worse with age!

searcher, do you feel marijuana is linked to cancer, contributes to lung problems and can affect an unborn child in the womb? I don't see any reason why you couldn't deliver pot in pill form. That at least would eliminate the lung and respiratory problems not to mention nuke second-hand smoke issues. Heck, if pot was legalized and controlled perhaps this would be very doable.

As for the addiction side, I thought I read about 100,000 people/year do look for help in dealing with pot addiction. But I?d guess this number is far smaller than, say, gambling addiction.

Doomguy

Platinum Member
May 28, 2000
The only ignorant people are the users. Do scientists and researchers &quot;Make up&quot; the harmful effects? Nope. Also stop throwing food into this. Food dosent impair your judgement or cause brain damage, well at least normal food dosent:) The benefits of pot definatly do not out weigh the harm effects. I've noticed around school all the pot smokers are total assholes. Kind of gives you an impression of what kind of people use the stuff.

searcher

Oct 14, 1999
Isn't everything linked to cancer? ;) Inhaling smoke into your lungs cannot be good for your lungs no mater what kind of smoke it is. I could easily believe a cancer risk exists but surely our lungs have a certain self cleansing ability. I would think there must be a correlation between the degree of risk and the amount smoked.

You can cook with marijuana, ever hear of marijuana brownies? I would think you could make tea also. I think smoking is supposed to be the most effecient way to get it into your system but if it were legalized and commercially produced it should be cheap enough to purchase in quantities large enough to make use of the more wasteful injestion methods. It has been a long time but if I recall correctly the high from eating it was somewhat different from smoking it.

Addiction, I can't speak for other people and don't really wish to say they are lying, but I do wonder if there may be some benefit for them to claim addiction. I don't seem to have any predisposition to addiction and can only really speak for myself. I have never experienced any indication of any addiction, physical or psychological related to marijuana use. If someone thinks they are addicted then I guess they are but I am sceptical.

Once again, even though I don't have any moral objections to marijuana consumption I would not recommend it to anyone, It is a personal choice for individuals to make.

DoomGuy:

&quot;The only ignorant people are the users.&quot; You might want to look up the definition of ignorant.

&quot;Do scientists and researchers &quot;Make up&quot; the harmful effects?&quot; YES!!! Do a little research would ya?

&quot;Food dosent impair your judgement or cause brain damage,...&quot; Wrong again.

You clearly have no real knowledge of that which you speak, so please quit proving your ignorance. It is not your fault.

&quot;I've noticed around school all the pot smokers are total assholes. Kind of gives you an impression of what kind of people use the stuff.&quot; I have to wonder if what you are seeing might be a reflection.

Michael

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
JellyBaby, evidently marijuana smoking is NOT linked to cancer (or the government propaganda machine would be all over it). It is linked to some forms of lung conjestion in heavy smokers.

Pregnant women should NOT use ANY drugs including alcohol and caffeine.

As to your 100,000 people requesting help for their pot &quot;addictions&quot;, coinidently that is probably related to the number of people arrested for possession. If you show the judge you are getting &quot;help&quot; you will get a lesser sentence.

Marijuana does NOT need to be smoked. It can be eaten. There are many tasty recipies for it. However, the most EFFECTIVE way is to smoke it (for the most intense effect with the smallest amount used).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Doomguy, you are now king of the ignorant posters here.

It is so obvious that you must be a teenager who subscribes to that 'Just say No' crap.

It is good that you do not want to experiment with drugs. I hope you never do smoke pot.

However, you should know WHY you choose not to smoke. It should not be a fear-based decision. Or one based on lies, propaganda and misconceptions.

Learn the facts. There are definately valid reasons to stay away from drugs, including marijuana. Just not the ridiculous ones you parrot. I do NOT advocate ANY young person experimenting with drugs during their growing up period.

Do not judge other people based on your misconceptions. I imagine you will be in for quite a shock as you grow up.

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Did anyone actually answer the question to this thread, or is it all flames?
I read all of it, and I've concluded you're all nuts.

Legalize it.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
DanC, I'm not nuts...much.

If you bother to read this entire thread you'll find more good posts than bad, more information than disinformation, more answers than falacies. I know I've learned quite a bit from participating in this one (it's good to enter a &quot;dangerous&quot; thread once in a while).

Basically, legalize it except for kids. Get the federal government out of it as they've screwed quite a bit up. I'd say let each state decide the legalization issue, at least to begin with. That way the christian right and miseducated have the option to move to a state that still bans pot. More research is needed, too, and I'd rather entrust this to private organizations or foreign countries than the US government. Education is key as is telling the truth to everyone, regardless of age. There should be places where those who feel addicted can go for help. The list goes on and on.

Actually this has been a good thread for me. I'm planning to vote Libertarian this year (go Harry Browne!). The Libs are anti-government, pro individual and seek to free federal pens of all non-violent drug offenders. That had bothered me but now I come to understand why that policy is so fokked up. The Libs were right all along. Whew. :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Go JellyBaby!!!

:)

Yes, DanC, this thread is not all flames and the thread's question was answered many times. I have concluded you did not read all the thread as you claimed.

Doomguy

Platinum Member
May 28, 2000
Why do you people keep bringing irrelavant things into this discussion? Sugar may not have any positive affects but its not as dangerous as pot. Smoking dosent impair your judgement or have any other bad short term effects.