Question NZXT stops sales of its H1 case after reports of fires

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Fairly popular mini-ITX case, so there are probably plenty of them out there. If you have one, make sure the warranty is registered with NZXT as they are sending out repair kits.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Gamers Nexus did two videos about this including one today and Steve is PISSED. NZXT basically blew this off.

The basic issue is they ran traces too close to the screw holes and didn’t do the standard thing of electrically grounding the hole.

The metal screws can cut into the PCB and expose the 12V plane allowing a smart short to ground. (Pulls enough current to melt a wire and start a fire but not enough to trip the PSU over current protection)

GN found it repeatable.

The “repair” kits are nylon screws and nuts which don’t conduct. The problem is they are fragile. If they break and someone uses a metal screw in the future the fire risk is still there.

I agree with Steve. They need to be recalled.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Gamers Nexus did two videos about this including one today and Steve is PISSED. NZXT basically blew this off.

The basic issue is they ran traces too close to the screw holes and didn’t do the standard thing of electrically grounding the hole.

The metal screws can cut into the PCB and expose the 12V plane allowing a smart short to ground. (Pulls enough current to melt a wire and start a fire but not enough to trip the PSU over current protection)

GN found it repeatable.

The “repair” kits are nylon screws and nuts which don’t conduct. The problem is they are fragile. If they break and someone uses a metal screw in the future the fire risk is still there.

I agree with Steve. They need to be recalled.
Glenn Danzig Steve looks super angry with his hair covering one eye and his arms crossed like that. :p

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Well, NZXT says they will fix them. Considering it took them forever to send out those nylon screws (and not everybody even has those yet), I wonder how long it will take them to actually send out redesigned riser cables?

Steve Burke definitely deserves some kudos for how he handled the situation, though.

Reactions: Paratus