NYSE boots Al Jazeera reporters

anazoal

May 30, 2000
NYSE boots Al-Jazeera reporters

Okay, I thought a news organization was supposed to be independent and report both sides of a story -- even if you don't agree with the other side. If they show images POW's from Iraqi TV and allow anti-American commentators, they also show pro-American commentators and give US govt personnel air time. "We report, you decide" is really just a catch phrase, I guess.

BTW, CNN and other organizations showed the same footage Aljazeera aired.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I think Al-Jazeera is one of the seeds of democracy in the Arab world. It's really the only "free" press there. The reason I believe this is because they get as many hate mail from Arab viewers as from Western viewers. Sure, their news is slanted towards the Arab perspective but it's the same with our news (and every news in every other region of the world).

Also, I think that seeing those POWs will help save their lives. The eyes of the world are on them now so it's less likely they will be harmed. The ones I worry more about are the ones listed as missing in action. The Iraqis could do anything to them and no one would know.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
they were booted becuase their network allowed the footage of dead american soldiers with their pants at their ankles. They didnt show it because they are showing all viewpoints. They showed it to desecrate the dead. If footage of dead iraqi soldiers with bacon in their mouths popped up there would be hell to pay, right?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
they were booted becuase their network allowed the footage of dead american soldiers with their pants at their ankles. They didnt show it because they are showing all viewpoints. They showed it to desecrate the dead. If footage of dead iraqi soldiers with bacon in their mouths popped up there would be hell to pay, right?

Oh, I didn't know they showed that. I never saw the video (nor do I want to). But I think showing the live POWs will hopefully ensure them being treated well because the eyes of the world are on them now.

anazoal

May 30, 2000
They aired pictures from Iraqi TV of POW's and scenes with dead US soldiers. However, if you've been to their website, you'll see Aljazeera regularly show dead people and other images the censors here deem too horrific.

What's this BS with "pants around their ankles"? The complaint was against showing POW's (i.e. people that are still alive). And what do you think of CNN airing the same images?

exp

Platinum Member
May 9, 2001
Good move. I'm all for free press, but anyone complicit in violating the Geneva convention as Al-Jazeera was needs to be punished, at the very least with a temporary suspension of access.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: iamwiz82

what is wrong with showwing american dead solders on tv. Sorry but i am pretty sure that at least once we showed a killed iraq solder on tv during the last 2 weeks.

brenttruell

Oct 22, 2001
This is a good article about the al-jazeera and it's place in the Afgan war and beyond. However, it is important to note that there is NO such thing as a truly "free-press" (just as there is no truly "free-market"). Political agendas are in many ways a canon of mass-media. Nonetheless, Michael Moran provides incites into Al-jazeera here.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/643471.asp

b.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
care to name a country doing a better job achieving that ideal?

You are not the only democratic country on this planet. There are a lot of other countries that are "free" and that don't give Al-Jazeera reporters the boot. So for the moment you are a bit less free then all those other countries.

Makes sense to me

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: freegeeks

You are not the only democratic country on this planet. There are a lot of other countries that are "free" and that don't give Al-Jazeera reporters the boot. So for the moment you are a bit less free then all those other countries.

Makes sense to me

And do these other democratic countries contain anything close to the ethnic and religious diversity of America? What is the median income in those countries.....for women? How many learning and research institutions are in these countries you speak of?

milagro

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Originally posted by: milagro
The USA -- land of the free

MY A$$

Antarctica - land of the truly free....

hehe....honestly freegeeks, no country is perfect but I feel the U.S. is closer to achieving the ideal than any other country and I struggle to see how that's not the truth and how posts like your initial one are constructive.

I've traveled the world extensively and its a very cool place but becoming extremely small daily.... There are bound to be greivances/misunderstandings/deception/war etc.... but as an optomist i think humanity can prevail.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
And do these other democratic countries contain anything close to the ethnic and religious diversity of America? What is the median income in those countries.....for women? How many learning and research institutions are in these countries you speak of?

hehe....honestly freegeeks, no country is perfect but I feel the U.S. is closer to achieving the ideal than any other country and I struggle to see how that's not the truth and how posts like your initial one are constructive.

I've traveled the world extensively and its a very cool place but becoming extremely small daily.... There are bound to be greivances/misunderstandings/deception/war etc.... but as an optomist i think humanity can prevail.

Yes I know, Western-Europe and Scandinavian countries are really retarded third-world countries. It's impossible to have a good education because there are no good schools and a good job is also impossible and we also treat the women like poo.
rolleye.gif
I guess that all the studies done the last 10 years about quality of living in different countries are wrong because in most of these studies the European countries lead the pack. (NOTE: before you jump on me, I'm not saying that the quality of living in the USA is bad, in my opinion the quality of living is much the same in the USA and Europe).

Can you give me ONE freedom that you as an American have that I don't have??

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001

Yes I know, Western-Europe and Scandinavian countries are really retarded third-world countries. It's impossible to have a good education because there are no good schools and a good job is also impossible and we also treat the women like poo.
rolleye.gif
I guess that all the studies done the last 10 years about quality of living in different countries are wrong because in most of these studies the European countries lead the pack. (NOTE: before you jump on me, I'm not saying that the quality of living in the USA is bad, in my opinion the quality of living is much the same in the USA and Europe).

Can you give me ONE freedom that you as an American have that I don't have??

The freedom to succesfully sue a company over your own stupidity.

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001

MY A$$

This person has no clue what freedom even is.

Go try to protest against the North Korean Government, but do it IN NORTH KOREA. I guarentee you that you will not come back alive.......

That does not happen in the U.S

Do that, then say the U.S. is not the land of the free.....

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

This person has no clue what freedom even is.

Go try to protest against the North Korean Government, but do it IN NORTH KOREA. I guarentee you that you will not come back alive.......

That does not happen in the U.S

Do that, then say the U.S. is not the land of the free.....

MY A$$

Talking about pulling something out of context.
The original poster was sort of saying that the USA was the closest thing to freedom. I just responded that there are other "free countries". I did not say anything about protesting in North-Korea. You are using arguments that have nothing to do with the discussion.

Continue your flagwaving

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: milagro
And do these other democratic countries contain anything close to the ethnic and religious diversity of America?

What does that have to do with freedom? We have religious freedom in Finland for example. Most are lutherans, but there is sizable orthodox minority. We also have jews, muslims, mormons, Jehovas witnesses, Hare Krishnas etc. etc. And we have our share of other races (Somalis, romani, tatar) and we have immigrants (from Estonia and Russia mostly).

What is the median income in those countries.....for women?

Again, what does that have to do with freedom? And you can't compare earnings in different countries directly.

Recent study said that Finland is the best place in the world for women to live. Also, about 40% of our members of parliament are women, Finland was the second country in the world to give women the right to vote (New Zealand being first), our president is a woman, our speaker of the house is a woman, the leader of the biggest party in Finland is a woman, most of the university-students are women.

How many learning and research institutions are in these countries you speak of?

More than enough. And again, what does this have to do with the subject at hand?

EDIT: this is pretty interesting.

Standing with the United States in failing to ratify the convention are nations known for their oppressive treatment of women such as Iran, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Afghanistan under the Taliban.