NYC... MTA SUX!

callmesteve

Jan 5, 2005
So I just got a freaking email from the accounting department saying the unlimited rides just shot up from $21 - $24 for weekly and $70 - $76 for monthly....

After this and taxes *calculates*, damn it I'll be working for free

Sorry just had to vent

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: callmesteve
If you only get $76 a week and live in NYC, you've probably got more problems than the subway prices.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
So I just got a freaking email from the accounting department saying the unlimited rides just shot up from $21 - $24 for weekly and $70 - $76 for monthly....

Sorry just had to vent

uhhhh dude, where have you been? the MTA voted on the hike last month...and was scheduled to go into effect in march...it was front page news for the past 3 months....

and really...its not a fare hike....cuz the per ride rate is still the same

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
sucks big time. The unlimited pass doesnt sound like a deal anymore for those who take the subway to work/school and don't have a car (not like its worth it driving in manhattan anyways).

I remember when the 1 day unlimited pass was only 4 bucks, which was awesome when going to so many places with friends. Now its 7 bucks and I'm sure it'll get hiked fairly soon.

callmesteve

Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: xospec1alk

Sorry just had to vent

uhhhh dude, where have you been? the MTA voted on the hike last month...and was scheduled to go into effect in march...it was front page news for the past 3 months....

and really...its not a fare hike....cuz the per ride rate is still the same

Yea I know, but with all the protests just thought that Bloomberg would be a little nicer, for the hungry college students sake

callmesteve

Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: raystorm
sucks big time. The unlimited pass doesnt sound like a deal anymore for those who take the subway to work/school and don't have a car (not like its worth it driving in manhattan anyways).

I remember when the 1 day unlimited pass was only 4 bucks, which was awesome when going to so many places with friends. Now its 7 bucks and I'm sure it'll get hiked fairly soon.

Yea! I remember those days, and Unlimited was $63 not freaking $76

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

Yea I know, but with all the protests just thought that Bloomberg would be a little nicer, for the hungry college students sake

dont blame bloomberg...he ordered his mta board members to vote down the fare hike...pataki's mta board members voted it through...

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

i don't want to sound like an a$$ but remember the days when we had to actually pay 1.50 a ride with NO unlimited rides, and NO subway to bus transfers? buying an unlimited is still saving us money in the long run...

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001

i don't want to sound like an a$$ but remember the days when we had to actually pay 1.50 a ride with NO unlimited rides, and NO subway to bus transfers? buying an unlimited is still saving us money in the long run...

Yea.. I certaintly understand. We had nothing before. Guess we were just spoiled by the early metrocard pass deals they had before. Like I said.. that $4 one day unlimited was something I used alot and wish it was still like that.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

Yea.. I certaintly understand. We had nothing before. Guess we were just spoiled by the early metrocard pass deals they had before. Like I said.. that $4 one day unlimited was something I used alot and wish it was still like that.

yeh the $4 fun pass was the awesomeness...

callmesteve

Jan 5, 2005

Well if you put it that way...

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
This is one more chapter in the state vs. city history of the subway. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Pataki hates NYC, as does the rest of the state. And we're surprised?

Hooray for another regressive tax!:roll:

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: oboeguy
This is one more chapter in the state vs. city history of the subway. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Pataki hates NYC, as does the rest of the state. And we're surprised?

Hooray for another regressive tax!:roll:

which is funny because the city provides so much revenue for the state. there was an article in new york magazine a few months back about how nyc should just secede...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Sorry just had to vent

Is the train still cheaper than driving?

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

Sorry just had to vent

Is the train still cheaper than driving?

OF course it is. $76 x 12 << cost of owning and operating a car for a year. Duh. Heck, it's probably less than insurance alone.

which is funny because the city provides so much revenue for the state. there was an article in new york magazine a few months back about how nyc should just secede...

The state has been ordered by a court, IIRC, to give the City it's fair share for education spending and the State hasn't budged. And they wonder why we have problems in NYC schools... start by evening the playing field!

Sorry, this isn't P&amp;N, I'll shut up now. :D

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: oboeguy
OF course it is. $76 x 12 << cost of owning and operating a car for a year. Duh. Heck, it's probably less than insurance alone.

yeh, my insurance for the car is friggin 2600 for the year. on top of my $300 monthly payments...ack!

and i don't even drive it anymore.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight
Originally posted by: DaWhim
again? went from 1.5 to 2 awhile ago. :|

Yea I know, those bastards

Well, that was the per fare price, not the unlimited pass.

Actually they hiked up the unlimited pass at the same time, but not by as big a percentage. Now they are catching it up. Very lame after the protests of the initial $1.50->$2.00 hike under false pretenses -- the MTA said they needed that hike because they were losing money, and it was discovered it only looked like they were losing money because they were cooking the books -- they actually made like a billion that year.