NY trying to use Medicaid funds for housing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
well Westchester has the highest tax rate. however is all pretty close with pretty much everything surrounding NYC in NY and parts of NJ

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So just that we're clear, you want to deliberately waste taxpayer money. Good to know.

Back to my original reply, never complain about government waste again.

And you could save even more money by letting the poor die and not providing any medical treatment. Why do you want to deliberately waste taxpayer money?

Again, you can't create a situation where medical expenses are increased because your state/city won't provide a necessary service and then claim you're "saving money" if you get the feds to pay for it instead because otherwise it would cost more. There wouldn't have been waste in the first place if the state or city actually cared for their own homeless rather than waiting for them to get sick and billing Medicaid for the expenses.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
This is silliness, you don't know the exact cost until you do it. If the projected savings don't materialize, you reassess what you're doing.

As for the old programs being discontinued, that makes no sense. The other programs they are using are the emergency room, prison, and homeless shelters. All of those will continue to exist. The amount we have to pay for them can most certainly decrease though.

So presumably you're ok with that income tax cut for NYC if it saves money, right? I mean if you were wanting to tax NYC if it cost more it only makes sense that you would want to give the savings back as well, right?
when does the government re-evaluate a program because it is getting more costly unless forced to by a higher power?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And you could save even more money by letting the poor die and not providing any medical treatment. Why do you want to deliberately waste taxpayer money?

The purpose of taxpayer money is to increase the sum total of human health and wellbeing. Now you're arguing just to argue.

Again, you can't create a situation where medical expenses are increased because your state/city won't provide a necessary service and then claim you're "saving money" if you get the feds to pay for it instead because otherwise it would cost more. There wouldn't have been waste in the first place if the state or city actually cared for their own homeless rather than waiting for them to get sick and billing Medicaid for the expenses.

Your argument seems to be based on the idea that Medicaid money can't be used for things that directly contribute to health because you think housing isn't health care, despite housing being directly related to care of one's health. I think that's a transparently stupid argument.

You've become so wrapped up in finding something to be outraged about that you're actively arguing for wasteful public policy. That's a pretty clear sign that ideology has completely overwhelmed common sense.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The purpose of taxpayer money is to increase the sum total of human health and wellbeing. Now you're arguing just to argue.

Your argument seems to be based on the idea that Medicaid money can't be used for things that directly contribute to health because you think housing isn't health care, despite housing being directly related to care of one's health. I think that's a transparently stupid argument.

You've become so wrapped up in finding something to be outraged about that you're actively arguing for wasteful public policy. That's a pretty clear sign that ideology has completely overwhelmed common sense.

You're right, and I'm sure you won't be upset if other states use federal programs for things other than what they're intended for so long as it saves money. Southern states for example should start using HUD funds to implement Voter ID laws since they can argue they'll save money that way. Any possible connection between two positive outcomes should be explored; the possibilities are endless.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You're right, and I'm sure you won't be upset if other states use federal programs for things other than what they're intended for so long as it saves money. Southern states for example should start using HUD funds to implement Voter ID laws since they can argue they'll save money that way. Any possible connection between two positive outcomes should be explored; the possibilities are endless.

Sometimes it's okay to change your mind instead of throwing up a bunch of straw man arguments.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Sometimes it's okay to change your mind instead of throwing up a bunch of straw man arguments.

You really have no shame about getting other taxpayers to pay the things your state and city should be doing yourselves. Any other things you want to put on Medicaid's tab? Cable bill perhaps? Your au pair expenses?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It happens all the time, regardless this isn't a program being begun or ended this is a particular "treatment" that would be covered by Medicaid dollars. What products and services are covered change frequently.

That's true for Medicaid money regardless of how it is spent.

This isn't a new program, this is spending Medicaid money more efficiently than it was being spent before. It is very interesting to see so many people who are so conservative arguing in favor of a massive waste of taxpayer money.

After looking into it, this may end up being cheaper to society. If it does turn out to save money then it may be a net good. I still dont know if I agree with the cost being paid by the federal government, but thats a smaller issue really.

Dec 10, 2005
Question: don't states pick up a fair amount of medicaid funding? Second - doesn't the article say that the Federal government will not match what NY is going to use for this program?

And it doesn't sound like they are just giving apartments to people. It sounds like an assisted living facility of a sort, which could already be covered by Medicaid...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I bet he is in Westchester county NY which has the highest property tax rate in the country. something like 9k a year. that's JUST property tax, the rest of his taxes wont be much different than yours in NYC

Monroe.