NY state hunter mistakes woman walking her dogs for a deer killing her

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Thoughts and prayers.

Isn't that the standard response when someone in the US is needlessly killed by a gun?

Don’t forget identifying why the shooter was irresponsible.

Didn’t check his target.

Now I can be sure it will never ever happen to me.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Thoughts and prayers.

Isn't that the standard response when someone in the US is needlessly killed by a gun?

Didn’t check his target.

Another gun owner who was "responsible" until he wasn't. But there is nothing that can possibly be done. Shootings have nothing in common.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
'Muricans. There is a lot of truth to why you're seen as morons to the rest of the world. The rest of you should get out and watch how the US folds in on itself when the rednecks are in charge.

Nov 25, 2013

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
Sad, but just another patriot making america great again. Looks like the woman was one of those positive peoples, truly the best type of person to have in your life. I say snip the dudes nuts at the very least.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Sad, but just another patriot making america great again. Looks like the woman was one of those positive peoples, truly the best type of person to have in your life. I say snip the dudes nuts at the very least.
My understanding is that positive progressive types ought to be shot. Isn't that the climate these days?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The weapon used was a single shot pistol, according to local news: http://www.wgrz.com/mobile/article/...im-kindest-woman-i-have-ever-met/71-494443769

Fired after the sun was down as well, which is illegal.

Yep. IMO, not a "gun control" issue...apparently he DID hit what he was aiming for...but rather, a damned good argument for intelligence testing for prospective gun owners...PROVE that you're smart enough to use a firearm properly, (similar to hunter safety classes) and prove that you can properly tell the difference between deer or elk, or turkeys...and people, cows, or horses.

When we lived in Wyoming in the 80's, one of the local sporting goods stores had a poster with pictures of deer and horses...and the captions:

This is a deer, you may shoot this if properly licensed.

This is a horse, you man NOT shoot this under any circumstances.

While this shooting is 100% on the shooter...and IMO, he should be prosecuted and jailed for manslaughter, a small (tiny) bit of blame falls on the woman for walking in the woods during what was apparently hunting season without wearing orange. NO, she shouldn't HAVE to wear orange, but common sense should dictate it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No firing after sundown. Wearing orange wouldnt necessarily have helped. Possibly, but 100% blame goes on the shooter fr pulling the trigger

Reactions: DarthKyrie

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Is hunting deer with a pistol a thing in New York? Deer are large animals and I do not believe that a pistol is the appropriate choice of firearm for such a task.
Are we sure this guy is a hunter? I can't find any mention of hunter in the article except in the headline and a quote by Sheriff Joe Gerace toward the bottom but when I click on the link to read the source of that quote it just leads me to wivb home page.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005

Didn’t check his target.

I do all of my meat hunting at the grocery store so I can be certain it won't happen to me either.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Same thing happened to my neighbor's father outside his New Hampshire home about a decade ago. Up there some farmers paint "COW" on the sides of their livestock to help the hunters ID them

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Yep you can't make this stuff up but here it is in all of its gory. The hunter mistook this lady walking her dogs for a deer killing her. WTF? While the article doesn't mention the rifle its safe to assume that its scoped so how do you mistake a human female walking her dogs for a 4 legged deer?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/us/new-york-woman-killed-hunter/index.html

From the article

Rosemary Billquist, 43, was hit by a bullet from a single-shot pistol fired by neighbor Thomas B. Jadlowsk

He was using a single shot pistol...........that seems like an odd choice to me, but im not a hunter, so who knows.