NY Newspaper Publishes all Gun Owners' Names and Addresses

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
actually now the criminals looking for a gun to steal knows where to get one, this map will cause more gun violence than it could ever hope to prevent.

Wonder if that is exactly what they hoped to achieve? Violence sells papers as well as pushes the agenda that they have.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
not_armed.jpg
LOL +1

Actually, guns are quite valuable especially if you are a criminal and can't legally purchase one. Its not all that hard to case a house and/or have a very good idea that no one is home. Having a very good idea that they have a gun in the house plus the normal loot is like icing on the cake.
Exactly. Very carefully case and rob one (or a few) of the gun-owners' houses to arm yourself, then you can safely break into all the other houses. (Or at least, until you are met with an unlicensed 12 gauge . . .)

Many of the reporters and publishers have now had their info put on web:
http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sauce-for-the-goose/

One of the reporters has a pistol himself in NYC

"So how does Journal – News reporter Dwight R. Worley rate a NYC pistol permit?"
http://christopherfountain.wordpres...ter-dwight-r-worley-rate-a-nyc-pistol-permit/

Freakin' epic indeed. If you've ever wondered about whether that hot little reporter was married, if she owns a gun, and where she lives, why, here's your answer. You don't even need to file a Freedom of Information Act request.

Great thread, Dave.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I can go right now and look up your tax records or find out if you've ever filed for Bankruptcy for those of you who live in Michigan.

You don't realize how much of your information is available to the public...

I laughed at the idea that some of you gun folks would be whining about criminals using this as a tool to rob houses...really? Then lets ban ALL maps, problem solved.

I think everyone realizes this is public information, that doesn't mean it should be presented in this fashion. The map analogy is a bit inane, don't you think?

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I can go right now and look up your tax records or find out if you've ever filed for Bankruptcy for those of you who live in Michigan.

You don't realize how much of your information is available to the public...

I laughed at the idea that some of you gun folks would be whining about criminals using this as a tool to rob houses...really? Then lets ban ALL maps, problem solved.

Yes you can, now take the next step and use it as a tool to intimidate and harass those who disagree with you.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You are a toolbag...

If i lived in NY (which you couldn't drag me to) it wouldn't bother me to have my name listed as pistol permits are public information there anyway. I'm the proud owner of over 10 firearms and have no shame in admitting that I love to go shooting/hunting with my family and friends.

However, I still think it was pretty underhanded to print law-abiding citizens name in the paper much like what happens to sexual predators. I'm sure several lawsuits will come out of this article.

Luckily in Florida there is no permitting required to purchase any kind of firearm so there are no "records" that show gun owners in this state.

You own 10 guns and you obviously don't carry them with you at all times so when leave. This list gives criminals a very easy method of knowing where to steal guns from (your house).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Printing the information of gun owners is an abusive practice. Stay out of American issue threads please, your opinion not only doesn't matter but is woefully ignorant on this issue.

Is the paper printing publicly available information?

If so how is this abusive practice. If it is protected private information presumably they'll get sued.

Good call on the nationalism though, that always shows you are open minded and clear eyed. :rolleyes:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
is there a list of who has pit bulls too?
most thieves are pretty stupid anyway, most won't care if you do or don't have a gun, i've heard of several cases of burglaries where the homeowners guns were the target and reason for theft.

Apr 27, 2012
Printing the information of gun owners is an abusive practice. Stay out of American issue threads please, your opinion not only doesn't matter but is woefully ignorant on this issue.

This, he needs to be more worried about what is going on back home.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999

If so how is this abusive practice. If it is protected private information presumably they'll get sued.

Good call on the nationalism though, that always shows you are open minded and clear eyed. :rolleyes:

They could also make a map on who gets welfare that is publicly available records also.... why don't they:whiste:

Not to mention this is why a lot of gun owners never wanted this information public records but were told by the media and some government reps it would never be used in this way.

Last edited:

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Wow. Dave posted something that I (and many others) agree on. Not only that, but bridged a gap between groups here that I thought were permanently separated on everything :eek:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow. Dave posted something that I (and many others) agree on. Not only that, but bridged a gap between groups here that I thought were permanently separated on everything :eek:

Just think if he had posted this on 12/21/12......P&N may have ended along with the world.:hmm:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO

Just think if he had posted this on 12/21/12......P&N may have ended along with the world.:hmm:

I turned 50 on the 21st.

So looks like it is a reset of the Calendar.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

Once again, the last thing I ever want to hear is a non-American's opinion on our Constitution. Go start a riot at a soccer match you dolt.

They'll get sued anyways, and they will lose. This is a horrible thing to do to LAW ABIDING citizens who have done nothing to anyone.

Oh by the way, people are lining up and waiting HOURS to get gun permits now. Even with all the false poll numbers and circle jerking going on in the media on every channel, the American people are making their opinion known loud and clear at government offices across the nation.

The 2nd Amendment SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Yes you can, now take the next step and use it as a tool to intimidate and harass those who disagree with you.

SheHateMe is on the papers side, so it's all good for him/her.

I honestly can't quite figure out what the "news" site was trying to accomplish by doing this. Did they think that neighbors were going to recoil in terror and fear knowing that the scumbag, crazy gun owner next door had some firearms?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Once again, the last thing I ever want to hear is a non-American's opinion on our Constitution. Go start a riot at a soccer match you dolt.

The 2nd Amendment SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Funny you should mention the constitution. You should look up the 1st and that whole freedom of the press bit.

But I'm not sure what printing publicly available information has got to do with the 2nd.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Funny you should mention the constitution. You should look up the 1st and that whole freedom of the press bit.

But I'm not sure what printing publicly available information has got to do with the 2nd.

Because you are another short-sighted, anti-gun nut job that thinks it's fine to publish law abiding citizens personal information just because you don't like that they have a legally owned gun. As already has been brought up, there are probably more than a couple women that were hiding from abusive ex's and bought a gun for self protection, and now this "news" outlet just gave their violent ex the information on how to find them. But hey it's all good because you agree with this bullshit tactic, and then want to cry and hide behind the 1st. Well piss off, we don't need your ignorant opinions here, we've already got PLENTY of those here already.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Because you are another short-sighted, anti-gun nut job that thinks it's fine to publish law abiding citizens personal information just because you don't like that they have a legally owned gun. As already has been brought up, there are probably more than a couple women that were hiding from abusive ex's and bought a gun for self protection, and now this "news" outlet just gave their violent ex the information on how to find them. But hey it's all good because you agree with this bullshit tactic, and then want to cry and hide behind the 1st. Well piss off, we don't need your ignorant opinions here, we've already got PLENTY of those here already.

A) I'm not anti gun. I really don't care if you have or want a gun.
B) It is fine for the paper to print that. If you don't like it you should lobby for the information to be private rather than try to infringe on the presses rights.
C) That information (and a lot more) was already available to their exes. Why should law abiding citizens have their right to a free press curtailed because of a few individuals? Isn't that how the pro gun argument works?
D) So the 1st is bullshit tactics but the 2nd is vitally important? ... ok...I didn't realise you got to pick and choose which to obey. It's a bit like religion then is it?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

Congratulations, you know some of the Constitution. The First Amendment does not give the press the right to publish the names and addresses of a group of people, who haven't broken any laws here IN AMERICA, in order to defame and ridicule them. Defamation lawsuit will be incoming shortly. THAT is what it has to do with the 2nd amendment.

Now go back to your own shithole and brush your fucking teeth FFS.

nm_bad_teeth_090212_mn.jpg

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Congratulations, you know some of the Constitution. The First Amendment does not give the press the right to publish the names and addresses of a group of people, who haven't broken any laws here IN AMERICA, in order to defame and ridicule them. Defamation lawsuit will be incoming shortly. THAT is what it has to do with the 2nd amendment.

Now go back to your own shithole and brush your fucking teeth FFS.

nm_bad_teeth_090212_mn.jpg

So saying someone has a gun is defamatory? Or makes them look ridiculous? You have a low, low opinion of gun owners. They are people as well.

So why wouldn't the press be allowed to publish public information? Who should say what information they can publish? Do they need to run everything past you first?

It's nothing to do with the 2nd. The papers aren't limiting your access to guns. In what way is this going to prevent you buying a gun? You might choose not to, but that's your decision.

Ok fatty.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002

According to this article, a Tennessee newspaper's publishing of a similar map did significantly affect burglary rates.

The result was the inverse of what gun owners feared; areas with the most CPL holders saw a reduction in burglaries, and vice versa. Amusingly, that outcome is still a win for gun owners, since it's evidence that firearm ownership reduces crime.