NVRotate = great idea! NVidia please fix it!

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I installed the new drivers with the NVRotate feature at work.

I love the idea, its great for most productivity applications; letting you look at a larger block of code at a time, or view word documents (multiple pages of them at once in my case) in their intended portrait orientation.

But the current implementation is lacking in 2 areas:

1. It won't let me add custom resolutions with powerstrip with this driver version, only custom refresh rates. But thats been true of a few previous driver versions in the past, so maybe thats just a temporary issue with this revision.... For now if I want the screen rotatable I am stuck in 1440x1920 at most - it won't allow 1536x2048 in the rotated mode even though the exact same driver version has 2048x1536 as one of the default modes.

2. It's SLOW. The algorithm being used for the rotation is to treat each rectangle being painted on the screen as a pair of triangles, and most likely use the 3d acceleration features of the card to rotate the 2d windows being drawn on your windows desktop. When dragging a large window it is VERY obvious that the 2 triangles making up that window are being redrawn separately. HINT: the rectangle forming one of the GUI windows rotated 90 degrees is still a normal rectangle with all sides running parallel with either the X or Y axis on the screen. It can be moved with a normal 2D BitBlt and this will be much faster than treating it as a 3D object (especially on an MX card). Just transpose the x,y coordinates....

3. The image is a bit fuzzier than in the normal orientation. I haven't zoomed in on a screenshot to be sure yet, but I think the textures on the triangles its using to paint the rotated screen are being anti-aliased, which isn't a good thing for your normal windows desktop (Personally I don't even like anti-aliasing in games).