Question NVME x4/x2 adapter

Slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2004
I've been searching a while for a PCIe x4 card to two M.2 NVME x2 drives. And I haven't found a single one. Most adapters are one PCIe and one SATA. The rest are x16 cards. I find it odd since I've seen x2 drives.
I know a PLX adapter is a better solution, but it's also quite expensive.
Either my google-fu is failing, or they simply don't exist. Anyone seen one?

Last edited:

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
CPU support for bifurcation of PCIe links is generally limited to splitting down to x4 links at the smallest, not x2. The only x4 slots on a motherboard that you can expect to be capable of functioning as x2+x2 would be ones coming from the chipset rather than the CPU, and even then I don't think there's BIOS support for this yet based on testing with the Optane H10. So the market for passive x4 to x2+x2 risers is pretty small, and x4 slots themselves are fairly uncommon compared to x8. Drives using just an x2 link may become more common once Intel has transitioned to PCIe 4 on their consumer platforms so cards like what you're looking for may eventually become available. But before then, I think your best hope is to find an affordable x8 to x4+x4 riser using a cheaper switch like ASM2812 or 88NR2241 (not that I'm aware of any such products being available yet).

Slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2004
I don't have a x8 slot. I did find a couple of x8 adapters. But I'm limited to four lanes from the chipset in the last x16 slot on my Gigabyte X570 Gaming X.
I guess I will stalk eBay for a PLX adapter.

Slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2004
The Syba SI-PEX40129:

and SI-PEX40152:

both support x4 according the chips datasheets. However the card manufacturer has not replied on my inquiries regarding x4.