Question NVMe will going be faster?

ZowieR

Apr 4, 2020
If have the 840 EVO ssd.. new nvme faster than that a lot?

because the 840 evo is old and only 120GB.. and have some bugs in the past by samsung..

and buy 500GB/1tb? what to do with this samsung?

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Retire your old SSD.

A newer SSD, especially NVMe M2 will be faster (not that this is noticed in most applications), but the higher capacity will be important too over time as you fill it.

Go 1TB. And just retire the 840 completely.

Very best,

ZowieR

Apr 4, 2020
Retire your old SSD.

A newer SSD, especially NVMe M2 will be faster (not that this is noticed in most applications), but the higher capacity will be important too over time as you fill it.

Go 1TB. And just retire the 840 completely.

Very best,

I can keep this ssd on my computer.. but I can install system on my new nvme..
dont know if 500GB or 1TB.. have HDD on this computer but old.. but it was fine system.. not install so many games

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Retire is a bit much. A cheap external USB 3 case for it would make a great external drive for < $10.

Way faster then the equivalent $25 USB stick, although quite a bit larger to . . .

Why would you want something that OP-labeled as "old" and buggy (120Gb suggests to you just how old, old is) being used to move data around with any sort of reliability? No thanks. But you're right, it could of course be used in many applications if its still functioning. I just wouldn't trust any data to it.

Very best,

Reactions: Shmee and Leeea

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
If have the 840 EVO ssd.. new nvme faster than that a lot?

because the 840 evo is old and only 120GB.. and have some bugs in the past by samsung..

and buy 500GB/1tb? what to do with this samsung?

That's easy, use your old SSD as nearline storage. I know it's much faster than nearline is customarily thought of as being, but the SSD is still worth keeping. You'll love your NVME m2 for your OS plus support apps and games, if you play.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Why would you want something that OP-labeled as "old" and buggy (120Gb suggests to you just how old, old is) being used to move data around with any sort of reliability? No thanks. But you're right, it could of course be used in many applications if its still functioning. I just wouldn't trust any data to it.

Very best,

hmm, I did not catch the two items that it was only 120 gb (I thought it was 256 GB), and it was buggy.

Buggy is only good for one thing, the e-waste receptacle.

Reactions: MalVeauX