Question NVME cloning question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I have an NVME on my PC music server, that is really running HOT. We're talking something is wrong with it. It is an NVME like I said but I have never cloned an NVME to another NVME before. How can it be done? I will have to look to see if there is another NVME slot to put the new NVME if that is what I decide to get. I don't know if I really need an NVME, but I do need at least an SSD. Have you ever clone one before?
What is a good cloning software?
Thanks.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
This specific 500GB Blue has a 5 year warranty just like the 1TB and many of the upper drives like Samsung. In fact better than some Samsung as I saw only 3 years for some I was looking at. This Blue is rated one of the best NVME out there from what I've read.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
Their dashboard software is also nice.
Oh really. It has nice software? That's a plus.
I'm torn between aoemi backupper or macrium reflect for the cloning of my NVME drives. The thing is that my main computer will also need to be redone here shortly. I have to make my SSD larger as it is running out of room and getting old. It is almost 10 or 11 years old. I get a little scared just because of the age thing. The start up has been a little iffy the last couple of weeks.
Well, I will need a software that will convert it from MBR to GPT at the same time, and go from 256GB to 1TB. I think in order to get the convert from MBR to GPT a person needs the pay version of these.
I haven't used them enough to know what is best. Every article I read has a different one as the best. I guess I'll see who gives me the best deal.

Jul 27, 2020
I would avoid the backupper software. Something about the name just doesn't sound right to me.

You can resize partition with this freeware: https://www.resize-c.com/

You don't have to do any MBR to GPT conversion. Macrium Reflect will write the 256GB image to the first 256GB of the 1TB SSD. Then you can extend the last partition to the full available space. It will however be tricky if the last partition of the 256GB SSD is a system partition. IM-magic Resizer might help but just in case, I would keep a backup file of the 256GB SSD to ensure I can revert to the original state in case anything goes wrong with the resizing.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'll throw in this link -- numerous ratings, nearly 5 stars:

(Two) NVME heatsinks -- $12 total

That leaves two options for manipulating NVME drives in cloning and replacement. You can either get a USB3 enclosure for an NVME, or the PCIE expansion cards. They're pretty inexpensive, but at least a few Mexican dinners-worth each. I've seen the PCIE cards now running as low as $15. The drive enclosures are no less a pain to work with because you have to extract the NVME from it after the cloning, or -- you may want to, according to whatever plan you're following.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
There's Macrium -- which is stellar. Then there Mini-Tool, which has its advantages. Then there's Ease-US. Ease-US will convert an MBR to a GPT.

ingeborgdot

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2005
I ended up getting a WD Blue SN570. It was one of the higher rated NVMEs out there. I noticed that my other NVME besides getting hot was also about 30GB from being full so I decided on a 500GB drive. I used Macrium to clone and Aomei to take the 250 GB empty space at that was left over after clone and add it in to the drive since Macrium doesn't do that.
This new drive is 30 C cooler than the other drive. We're sitting at 29 to 30 degrees. So my air flow is seems like it was not the problem. I'm up and running.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I ended up getting a WD Blue SN570. It was one of the higher rated NVMEs out there. I noticed that my other NVME besides getting hot was also about 30GB from being full so I decided on a 500GB drive. I used Macrium to clone and Aomei to take the 250 GB empty space at that was left over after clone and add it in to the drive since Macrium doesn't do that.
This new drive is 30 C cooler than the other drive. We're sitting at 29 to 30 degrees. So my air flow is seems like it was not the problem. I'm up and running.
Nice to know that AOMEI does that. I think Mini-Tool does it as well -- possibly Ease-US.

Coming back here reminds me that I have to install Macrium on a newly-built system.