nVidia's realtime fluid physics

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
If you think that rendering realtime is rendering a bucket of water at 15 fps with a GTX 580 it's cool.

Again, just rendering a bucket of water, nothing else.

It may improve the behavior of fluids over-all moving forwardl

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
If you think that rendering realtime is rendering a bucket of water at 15 fps with a GTX 580 it's cool.

Again, just rendering a bucket of water, nothing else.

as opposed to...
herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains in your Blender example?

oh wait, that was also a bucket of water. only the water bounces and splashes like it a glue :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IiRzmfs5aw#t=20s

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
yeah well that's still 15 frames per second compared to your Bullet/Blender:

"One frame out of 710 took about 22 minutes to render"

Quite a progress I would say :)

It's the same with games and renders. The point wasn't that anyway.

This is just a PR stunt since it needs a high end card just to run a bucket of water worth of physics.

Real time fluid physics? 2020 maybe?

EDIT: lol fisherman, you should check your meds cuz you answered me twice.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
yeah, but on two different points you... tried to make ;)

a) speed of execution

b) demo simplicity

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
It's the same with games and renders. The point wasn't that anyway.

This is just a PR stunt since it needs a high end card just to run a bucket of water worth of physics.

Real time fluid physics? 2020 maybe?

EDIT: lol fisherman, you should check your meds cuz you answered me twice.

A PR stunt?

http://mmacklin.com/pbf_sig_preprint.pdf

There is already real time fluid physics BTW!

And part of their PhysX and APEX strategies with this slide:

http://physxinfo.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/gdc_apex.jpg

There has been content with Borderlands 2 and Alice and an introduction to PhysX fluids in Cryostasis! And the dynamic water in Just Cause 2 was very welcomed based on Cuda. One may disagree on proprietary but they're trying.

Noticed a new module with Hair and Fur in that slide.

Last edited:

Ibra

Oct 17, 2012
Imouto doesn't realise that this demo is from GDC. And obviously what GDC stands for. :hmm:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Those saying that it isn't perfect are correct. I said it wasn't as good as the other renders. The little beads that are what's actually being rendered are what gives it away as not being fluid. They aren't granular enough. Also, I don't think they could make it transparent in real time either. Still, it's impressive for what it is. It's the same with TressFX. There is much better hair effects done, but nowhere near real time, like TressFX is. Both are good steps forward in real time realism.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Looks good.

For all the flack TressFX gets at least it was put into a game immediately. So although it was buggy at 1st, it was 1st implemented in a full AAA game.

I remember when Dirt 2 1st came it out it, they used Tesselation to make the water look more realistic. It didn't look all that convincing and I know Crysis 2 used it as well. I would like to see that expended on more. Maybe one of the Console games will push that further.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Contrary to what he says/thinks the spray is no where near realistic. Also looks like we are missing transparency and refraction still.

It's still very impressive though.