nvidia's driver team needs to give us more options.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
they need to quit being dairy hicks, get rid of the depth optimization that has been forced with all GK drivers (or they need to at least give end users the option to disable it as we are PC gamers), increase opengl integer performance (metroid prime dipped to as low as 12 fps when i looked at the sky even though it usually runs at close to 60fps), and restore the functionality of clamp negative lod bias for DX all without breaking anything else.

doesnt anyone else feel like nv and AMD insult your intelligence by not letting you disable whatever optimizations you want to? i mean, i would be a console gamer if i didnt care about image quality.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
He is using a gamecube emulator called Dolphin. He could just use older versions that work fine.

The latest versions of Dolphin switched over to an integer based pixel shader pipeline, which killed opengl performance on nvidia cards. Not really nvidia's problem, other than that integer performance on nvidia runs at double precision rates, which are slow on most of their cards.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Metroid Prime?

Gamecube game, which tells me he's using a Dolphin Emulator.

From my own experience with Dolphin it is what weird piece of software. You can go from low GPU/CPU load looking over a open field to 100% CPU load turning around with frame drops.

I don't think NV has anything to do with his issue.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
He is using a gamecube emulator called Dolphin. He could just use older versions that work fine. The latest versions of Dolphin switched over to an integer based pixel shader pipeline, which killed opengl performance on nvidia cards. Not really nvidia's problem, other than that integer performance on nvidia runs at double precision rates, which are slow on most of their cards.
the integer based pixel pipeline looks a LOT better (and would look still better if nvidia got rid of the depth optimization that they have been forcing since GK100 came out) so i disagree about older versions that work just fine. thank you for your reply though:)

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
Next Nvidia patch notes: Improved performance for pirated games on illegal emulators up to 23%*

Half teasing here! Fix the root issue, but Nvidia likely isn't going to target console emulators specifically. But they could fix my second monitor not resuming from sleep all the time. It seems to happen with Media Center and HDCP content, but I'm not sure.

*The emulator itself is legal AFAIK (or should be if they coded it from scratch), but acquiring ROMs probably breaks the DMCA in the US even if you own the games, which I think is BS.

Last edited:

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
Dolphin has been working pretty fantastically for me lately. Gotta love that Radeon integer performance, finally useful for more than making magic internet money! :thumbsup:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
I don't think NV has anything to do with his issue.

except they dropped DX9 and went to int based shaders like what the cube/wii GPU's actually use and in doing so fixed about a gazillion rendering errors, caused by them trying to use FP to do int calcs.

this performance "issue" is NV. Dolphin has never been better:thumbsup:

Don't like it? Write your own drivers.

or buy an AMD card.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Dolphin has been working pretty fantastically for me lately. Gotta love that Radeon integer performance, finally useful for more than making magic internet money! :thumbsup:

I've actually found performance is basically equal to what it was in DX9 in the older versions, but it runs smoother.