Nvidia's CES presentation is tonight . . . 8pm PST

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
This plays every single game the Nexus 7 does, it is a pure Android device just like the Nexus 7, only with more powerful hardware. In fact, for those of us that already own a ton of Nexus 7 games, we can use them freely on this from day one.
All those nexus 7 games are touch screen - they will be more fun to play on a 7 inch tablet, not a 5 inch one with a large ungainly controller attached to it. The controller only works if the games are designed around it, which they won't be because it's a niche product. Sure nvidia will guarantee a few work well but they will be a fraction of the games market and probably cost more to boot.

Still won't give you a controller. Touch games can still work on this device as it has a full touchscreen, games that really benefit from a controller struggle on the Nexus 7. I'm not knocking the N7, we have a few of them in house and they are great, this certainly does things that the N7 can't and some things better then the N7(while being less portable IMO).
Then buy a controller - much cheaper and lighter then the shield. Remember you already have to have some box plugged into your tv for it to work, that will certainly be able to handle peripherals (mice, keyboard, controller, joystick).

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
So watched the video, read the articles, and...not sure where I sit on this.

I'd have really appreciated something like the Shield a year or so ago. My phone with a MOGA currently already does some of the functions Shield does.

And I for one am not looking forward to carrying even more devices. If they can 3rd party this idea so it works with any BT controller I might be more supportive of it. Time will tell.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
So watched the video, read the articles, and...not sure where I sit on this.

I'd have really appreciated something like the Shield a year or so ago. My phone with a MOGA currently already does some of the functions Shield does.

And I for one am not looking forward to carrying even more devices. If they can 3rd party this idea so it works with any BT controller I might be more supportive of it. Time will tell.

More devices......about sums it up. I don't see this succeeding when most users will simply use their existing phone or tablet for android games, and most android games suck anyway. On top of this, consider that handheld gaming devices are already struggling - and not because they're bad devices. The vita is quite excellent but is not selling like hotcakes.

The streaming is nice but is going to be a big niche - it requires a kepler GPU and really - streaming to a TV in the same house when you could just as easily do it from your PC? Why? It's a neat idea, but I don't see it going far. I would actually be surprised to see this actually make it to market, pretty risky move by nvidia.

If there's a silver lining somewhere, someone tell me. The streaming has barriers to entry for the "average joe" consumer since it requires an existing PC with a kepler GPU, while on the other hand...android games? Will people buy a 200$+ device just to play android games? I would not, the quality for android games is just not there. Maybe at 99$, I wonder where the price will fall.

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
The streaming is nice but is going to be a big niche - it requires a kepler GPU and really - streaming to a TV in the same house when you could just as easily do it from your PC? Why? It's a neat idea, but I don't see it going far.

The only problem is that it’s not quite there for gaming yet

wireless-display-input-lag.jpg

Talking to NVIDIA about latencies, they said this:

Since we are doing the entire stack we have transmission latency way down. We use the hardware encoder on our gpu to encode And compress the stream.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039490769&postcount=53

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
The console market is too full... 3 home and 2 mobile(plus phones), really makes Shield pointless to me and I would assume many others.

Tablets have many uses but this is too cumbersome for anything other than gaming.

Home consoles have casual & controller hardcore gaming.

PCs have solo/online gaming.

Tablets and Nintendo/Sony have mobile.

Feels like a Microsoft flop, but who knows...

And how do they expect to fit Tegra 4 into phones?! Except 80mm^2 seems like something special with all that.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Put AMD logo on it and you are sold.

According, Manuel Guzman (geforce.com admin) this is not final design. So, maybe they will make it more comfortable for your mongoloid fingers.

But you are excited about slower AMD parts. (comparing with Intel)

Apparently if you don't immediately praise any and all products that come from the big N, clearly you must be a biased fanboy :rolleyes:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Apparently if you don't immediately praise any and all products that come from the big N, clearly you must be a biased fanboy :rolleyes:

Agreed. I guess we could at least pretend that (by a large extent) this thread so far does NOT read like WHO'S WHO in AT.

Carry on :D

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What are you calling 'browser' on the Nexus 10? The Chrome that comes installed as the default browser, or some version of Opera or something else?

Chrome is chrome.

Browser is the default browser that's installed on Samsung phones and used to be installed on everything else. The icon was labeled 'browser' or 'Internet' or something equally imaginative and there was no name in the app, hence the name browser.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I don't think they got the memo that you can hook a controller up to any android tablet/phone with a micro USB port. It's nice to have the power tegra4 provides but who wants to be saddled with the awkward form factor. This thing stands no chance compared to tablets and phones.

Hell there are even android controller that can hold you phone that look identical to this thing.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
I don't think they got the memo that you can hook a controller up to any android tablet/phone with a micro USB port.

Crazy Nvidia, just crazy... Going into Android, cloud, home theater, streaming, gaming console market

Instead of uhh I dunno... getting rid off entire handheld division and simply selling RAM sticks :D

Joking aside, it is a gamble. A huge one. But you need to gamble when you simply have too much cash on hand.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Chrome is chrome.

Browser is the default browser that's installed on Samsung phones and used to be installed on everything else. The icon was labeled 'browser' or 'Internet' or something equally imaginative and there was no name in the app, hence the name browser.

Yeah. Also notable because browser.apk is part of AOSP while Chrome is not. Much easier to get a customized version of it running on your hardware than Chrome. Hopefully Chrome will receive optimizations going forward (at least for the Nexus devices), because right now it is pretty slow.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
My point was that their handheld hardware is a huge waste of their money and resources. All they have to do is work on their cloud solution, and sell chips to smartphone and tablet makers. This handheld of theirs is going to flop massively. No one in their right mind is going to buy this when they can do the same thing on the phone or tablet they already own.

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Why sell to others if you have the full stack?

As for:

No one in their right mind is going to buy this when they can do the same thing on the phone or tablet they already own.

that's a pretty bold statement, don't you think so?

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Lol, perhaps I should have said italicized n?

Haha, definitely!

:thumbsup: Personally, I don't see the market for it, but I've also certainly been wrong before about this kind of stuff.

I remember saying Nintendo Wii would bomb (along with trillions of other gamers) and it went on to dominate the 7th generation console race.

Not saying nVidia has a winner here (I personally feel it is redundant, stick a phone on it and make the controller detachable...defeats the point but...) but, who knows.

If it is cheap enough, it will dominate the mobile gaming crowd. Make it emulator friendly, sleep with 3rd party publishers and GET GAMES and it can be interesting.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I'm curious how much it will cost. I like these handhelds. I had to check out the new Sony that launched last year, and it was super cool in my hands. It was just to expensive.
This has various gaming functions, with being able to stream PC games?
Here is a CGI hype video, not sure it has been posted. Got it from Google news, front page.
NVIDIA Project Shield Real-Time Demo

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I only read through part of the thread, but I'm surprised at how many people consider the Nexus 7 powerful. I got one for christmas and am pretty diappointed in its performance. Even non-demanding games seem to have "hitching" or framerate problems that make me wonder how this can be considered powerful or a better gaming machine than the Vita. Browsing is pretty clunky too when scrolling around. I know they're completely different hardware-wise, but my SGS3 runs circles around it in day-to-day use.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I only read through part of the thread, but I'm surprised at how many people consider the Nexus 7 powerful. I got one for christmas and am pretty diappointed in its performance. Even non-demanding games seem to have "hitching" or framerate problems that make me wonder how this can be considered powerful or a better gaming machine than the Vita. Browsing is pretty clunky too when scrolling around. I know they're completely different hardware-wise, but my SGS3 runs circles around it in day-to-day use.

Tegra 3 is at least a few years old by now isn't it? That's why the nexus 7 seems so slow. Also, what do you want for $200? lol

Don't get me wrong in my previous posts, I think that mobile gaming is going to be the future, I just don't think this device from Nvidia is going to flop.

The form factor sucks, and that's the reason it will fail. I understand that gaming is better with a controller than a touchscreen, but have the two permanently connected is not the solution.

projshield.jpg

mogaprohedimg620px.jpg

images

173397-Nexus-7-mobile-gaming-device-of-choice.jpg

All of these solutions provide you with the same thing, and open gaming platform that is portable. With Project Shield you are saddled with one that isn't portable. Any of these other's you can just remove your phone from the contraption, or leave the controller at home and still have a tablet phone available for use that slides into your pocket. So, why not just buy a phone and have something you will get far more use out of?

There will be tegra4 phones available that play games just as well as project shield, and will probably have better displays. I can also all but assure you that there will be a nexus 7/10 or something similar refresh that comes out with more GPU power as well. Also, it seems like a few other companies are announcing "cloud gaming" solutions at CES, google included.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/google-tv-ubitus/

I think Nvidia really wasted their time with Project Shield and should have just focused on getting their great mobile chips into as many products as possible.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Woah what version MOGA is that? The one I paid $20 doesn't look like that! ZOMG!!! That one is better than mine, if a tad bigger.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure why gamers are worried about Nvidia or any companies, 'time'. Other than a stock price slightly under-performing, the quarterly reports and lack of any layoff's or negative news for the most part. Means to me, this project development was not that complicated. Nvidia has been touting Server/Client use of it's hardware for a while now, from the top down. This is a extension of that. Direct end-user Hardware consisting of it's chip and other technologies is not that risky.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
I would like it if you could remove the display, disconnect it and just use the controller and your TV if at home. The small display would be distracting and I would never look at it when I have a better screen at hand.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not personally interested, but as long as it makes good money I don't really care. If it fails to generate profits, I will be slightly upset.