NVIDIA Working on GK110-based Dual-GPU Graphics Card?

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I find this highly unlikely as i don't think that Nvidia needs such a monster to counter Volcanic Islands flaghship but that's just me so what are your thoughts?

Link:http://www.techpowerup.com/189487/nvidia-working-on-gk110-based-dual-gpu-graphics-card.html

GeForce GTX 295 showed that its possible to place two GPUs with ludicrously high pin-counts next to each other on a single PCB, and if you get a handle over their thermals, even deploy a 2-slot cooling solution. NVIDIA might be motivated to create such a dual-GPU graphics card based on its top-end GK110 chip, to counter AMD's upcoming "Volcanic Islands" GPU family, or so claims a VideoCardz report, citing sources.

The chips on the card needn't be configured, or even clocked like a GTX Titan. The GTX 780 features just 2,304 of the chip's 2,880 CUDA cores, for example. Speaking of 2,880 CUDA cores, the prospect of NVIDIA developing a single-GPU GeForce product with all streaming multiprocessors on the GK110 enabled, the so-called "Titan Ultra," isn't dead. NVIDIA could turn its attention to such a card if it finds AMD's R9 2xxx within its grasp.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
I think to compare/counter dual-GPU with single-GPU is nonsense. The 690 will be far more under pressure from a Hawaii dual-GPU card than the aftermarket 780s will be under pressure from Hawaii XT. Therefore I believe a 690 successor is just natural - but not in response to single-GPU Hawaii. If Nvidia does this anyway, I couldn't care less.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
The 690 will be far more under pressure from a Hawaii dual-GPU card than the aftermarket 780s will be under pressure from Hawaii XT

In other words Hawaii XT will only challenge vanilla GTX 780? Would you share a source or elaborate a bit more?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
$1300 is a bit cheap don't you think? Titan is already $1000... why not go all the way and make it $2000??

Heck, add another $500 for the "premium/halo" tax.

But its worth it!!! nVidia cards are premium products!! Gotta pay to have the best!! etc, etc. :D

Personally a beast single card would be more interesting to me. I hope the pricing trend doesn't continue though!

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd love to see Nvidia build something like this! I don't see much point in it, and I'm sure it'll cost more than most gamers entire high end rigs, but the 690 was a thing of beauty. Maybe they can work some magic again... at least it'd give me new tech to read about at work. :)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'd love to see Nvidia build something like this! I don't see much point in it, and I'm sure it'll cost more than most gamers entire high end rigs, but the 690 was a thing of beauty. Maybe they can work some magic again... at least it'd give me new tech to read about at work. :)

It seems strange if they did, though......I do recall nvidia stating that the Titan actually sold more units than the GTX 690 did. For whatever reason a lot of folks don't find double GPU SKUs desirable I guess? I've never had an issue with them, but then again I never paid more than 1,000$ for one. The cost is a big variable here.