Question Nvidia vs AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 26, 2005
Trying to do some research before I consider a new GPU. I know Nvidia Relex is only available on supported games but I was wondering what AMD has to offer that's similar.

Also which has lower latency? I'm aware that AMD uses MSI mode, and Nvidia GPUs can be set to use MSI mode, but what other tweaks set them apart from each other and which has the lowest latency? Is it only a driver related thing or are there settings that can be tweaked in both camps? I'm aware of NVPI and it's buffer tweaks, etc.

Feb 4, 2009
Just out of curiosity, what is exciting about a 1660Ti? Its not a fast card, or a high end card. No new features or anything. If you are happy with its performance and such, then awesome.

On the AMD side, Tahiti was hands down exciting. The 7950/7970 were amazing cards. The current 6800XT and 6900XT would be super exciting if it wasn't for the fact that nobody can actually buy one. Same thing goes for the RTX 3080 and 3090. Gobs of performance that nobody can buy.

I like the control panel, how quiet it is and it is close to perfect for what games I play now.
RTX voice works with it and that is great admittedly it isn’t supported but it still works.
Just started to mess around with that Ansel(?) screen capture thing and that is fun.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Ok, so it seems my nerdyness is greater than the nerdness here. I did a little searching this morning and found a few threads with some Radeon tweaks an a utility that's sort of like NVPI

None of us mentioned a tool like that because it no longer works. And many of the things it does are handled in the base AMD driver now, or simply no longer apply.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ok, in the spirit of the thread title... And because of @Fanatical Meat ... I will say that generally AMD card launches tend to be more exciting to me than NV card launches because they're far more unpredictable.

The last NV "flop" we really had was the GTX480, and even that wasn't a flop across the board (still out performed the 5870). Otherwise NV is like a certain sports team that just executes like a machine year after year after year.

On the other hand, following AMD is like following a saga... Sometimes it's great engineering, sometimes it's over engineered in the moment but ages more gracefully, sometimes they pull a hat trick, it's just wild.

Cards in general used to be a lot of fun with the bioses and the OCs and the pencil/trace modding. Cards in general have just become more boring over time. Last "fun" card I owned was my HD 7950, which basically OC'ed to the moon (from stock 850 core to something like 1150/1200 core at stock voltages).

I will say that I do strongly appreciate AMD building OC tools right into their driver package. So nice not having to launch a garish 3rd party app to modify core clocks, even if OCing isn't quite as much of a thing nowadays.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think GPU OCing is still viable and useful, unlike CPU OCing, especially if you override the power limits. All the modern cards have a decent amount of headroom but come at the cost of massive increases in power load and heat, and will need watercooling beyond a point. Undervolting gets you part of the way there too.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I think GPU OCing is still viable and useful, unlike CPU OCing, especially if you override the power limits. All the modern cards have a decent amount of headroom but come at the cost of massive increases in power load and heat, and will need watercooling beyond a point. Undervolting gets you part of the way there too.

Yeah, I would say undervolting is way more popular than overclocking these days. You tend to pick up a little performance, with a lot less heat output.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah, I would say undervolting is way more popular than overclocking these days. You tend to pick up a little performance, with a lot less heat output.

I get 1850-1900mhz with an undervolt without changing the power limit, and it gives a nice 10% boost across the board. The higher end cards go beyond 2ghz but require an extra 50-100W for it.

Nov 26, 2005
Looks like it hasn't been updated in 5 years.

The last update to the OP support thread is Feb 2019.

EDIT: Looks like there is a Slimmer tool too (Radeon Software Slimmer), just like for Nvidia.

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
You've asked a question which already has been answered, on certain Youtube channel, with data, and analysis.

And also here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEMham8GKY

Conclusion - Framerate is more important than any low-latency technology. Reflex can help you only if you are hardware limited - you push too low amount of frames, and your GPU is pegged at 99%, all of the time. You always want to strive for lower GPU utilization than 99%, for absolutely lowest possible input delay.

If you have 240 Hz monitor, and 240 Hz capable machine - you will not see any difference from using Reflex, or AMD's Anti-Lag, what's more - its better to NOT use them in those scenarios.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
With nvidia you could have bought a 2080ti years ago and basically still have tip of the spear performance and darn near feature parity save for the 3090 and it's massive frame buffer propping up 4K performance. Yay.

I thought the 2080ti was pretty underwhelming. It was only moderately faster than the earlier generation despite being a big step up in price, still not consistently fast enough at 4K, and lacked HDMI 2.1. The 3090 actually has better fps/dollar than the 2080ti despite its higher price.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I thought the 2080ti was pretty underwhelming. It was only moderately faster than the earlier generation despite being a big step up in price, still not consistently fast enough at 4K, and lacked HDMI 2.1. The 3090 actually has better fps/dollar than the 2080ti despite its higher price.

I guess I was using it to illustrate how Ampere, especially at the prices we have now isn’t very exciting. I guess you can keep rolling that back in time! In small fairness, Nvidia keeps pushing the compute features which the 2080ti at least can better utilize today. A rare “fine wine” Nvidia situation whereas they normally seem to come out of the oven (haha) fully baked and at the apex of their relevancy.

The 1080ti was/is a beast though.

Mahzinho

Sep 20, 2020
In concern about drivers always preferred ATi/AMD Radeon ones and in general these brands, but actually using and so much happy with a Quadro FX. Low-energy usage, good performance, stable drivers through Windows 10 Pro. Very satisfied.