Nvidia tri sli option disappeared

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
Ok I have been using tri sli for about 1 yr now. Usually you just bring up the Nvidia control panel look under physx options and its right there. Either click enable or disable for tri sli.

Well I installed the new Nvidia drivers yesterday. 19621 for nvidia website and now the option is gone.

I had alot of difficulty install the drivers. I installed a game the day before (the chronnicales of riddick). It installed some sort of Tages Protection system which kept saying that the Drivers where incompatable. It took me some time but I was able to remove the problem. Now when I look under the option for tri sli it isnt there anymore. My pc shows that I have 3 graphics cards installed. It shows it under
1. Gpuz
2. Device Manager
3. Nvidia control panel (Performance - device settings)

So my pc can def tell that there is 3 cards installed. It just wont allow me to turn on the option for tri -sli. Better yet the option is no longer seen there It has completely disappeared.

Just a quick recap (cliff notes)
1. Had problems installing New Nvidia Drivers
2. Problem was because of Tages Protection system (chronicales of riddick The newer one)
3. Fixed problem
4. Installed Drivers (took a very long time 5+ min)
5. Restarted The pc
6. The option for tri sli is no longer under the Nvidia control panel. It has completely disappeared.
7. The computer recognized that there is 3 cards installed (gpuz and device manager sees all 3)

Ok I hope this helps. Bare with the quick recap I always like to write those out just becuase if people are like me they hate reading alot so I always make a small recap for people.

Thanks in advanced for all your help I really appreciate it. I am starting to think I have the worst computer skills in the world I always have wierd issues.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
-Download and install driver sweeper. (Google)
-Download and install CCleaner. (Google)
-uninstall nVidia drivers.
-Restart the machine and start in safe mode, use driver sweeper then CCleaner (Registry cleaner).
-Start in normal Windows mode and install your new drivers.

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
Ok I am reinstalling it as I type here. Before anything I installed only took a few seconds. Now its taking alot longer. After running those two programs in safe mode I restarted my pc why I go to install the drivers windows first has to install theres. It wont allow me to install mine till they install theres. So I have to restart my pc after theres are installed. I restart it then when I hit setup on the 2nd restart it takes a long time to install the drivers. over 5 mins. Usually it takes less then a minute.

MegaWorks

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
alanwest09872 start from scratch!

-uninstall the nvidia drivers
-restart in safe mode, use both programs driver sweeper first.
-Don't restart yet make sure that the C: nvidia folder as been erased after using driver sweeper if not deleted manually. Windows is installing the drivers automatically because of that folder.
-restart in normal Windows mode and install the drivers

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
I did all of that and the folder was completely deleted. The driver that is being installed is a generic one from a yr ago. I should mention I just did a full reinstall a week ago so I dont have any really old drivers installed on my pc. Its very unusuall. Is there a way to turn off generic driver installation.

Also After I reinstalled the new drivers I still had the same issue and no tri sli option available.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Ok. If you haven't already, I would do a fresh install of windows 7 (You said you did it only a week ago, so you can't have much on there yet), then make sure all mobo drivers (latest) are installed. Install latest NV forceware.

I just want to make sure this isn't "user" error. Everyone makes mistakes. I can't discount the possibility. So I would like to rule that out. I don't have a Tri-SLI setup that I can test against yours at the moment. I only have Quad SLI (2x GTX295s) and that was working, but I haven't tried the latest drivers. Also using Win 7 64. I'll update and let you know if I lose any functionality in my CP.

What options "do" you have in the NV Control Panel besides PhysX? Do you even have the SLI enable disable?

Can you provide a screenshot of your NVCP?

Give me as much info as you can. I'll go back and forth with you and get it all. Then I'll submit this to Nvidia for a possible problem. I just want to rule out anything else FIRST.

Thanks

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Ok, this is what I have. I took screenshots of the NVCP before (191.07) and after (196.21).

19107.jpg

19621.jpg

Before, and after the new 196.21 driver install, I have the Quad-SLI option.

I know it's not TRI-SLI, but I would "assume" Quad SLI to be broken before TRI.

This is why some further troubleshooting is needed on your system. IMHO.

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
ya see where yours says quad sli. Mine used to have the tri sli option there. Now its gone. It doesnt even appear there. Which is wierd because if I go down to where you can overclock the gpu it shows 3 graphic cards and if I go to device manager it shows 3 graphics cards.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Down to where you can overclock the cards? That is not present in the default Forceware driver installation. You have installed the system tools as well?
A complication or a clue.
You need to start from scratch as I have mentioned before. Format (backup yor data first if any. It's only been a week) , and do a fresh install of windows 7 64. Install only mobo drivers and video drivers. NO system tools yet. No overclocking utilities of any kind.
That should keep you busy for a bit. Let us know how you make out.

Juncar

Jul 5, 2009
Maybe the new driver is just bugged? Have you tried installing old drivers to see if you have the same problem?

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
I deleted the old files completely. When I reinstalled the drivers and still had the issue I decided to install the exp ntune just for the ability to speed up the fan because my card gets hot. So the exp to the nvidia software had nothing to do with it. I had that issue before I installed that software.

As for the drivers being bugged even old drivers dont work anymore. It takes forever for them to install and the tri sli option is no longer available

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I deleted the old files completely. When I reinstalled the drivers and still had the issue I decided to install the exp ntune just for the ability to speed up the fan because my card gets hot. So the exp to the nvidia software had nothing to do with it. I had that issue before I installed that software.

As for the drivers being bugged even old drivers dont work anymore. It takes forever for them to install and the tri sli option is no longer available

These two little pieces of info should tell you something.

Deleting the old files "completely" was not as complete as you may think. Because if you had removed any and all traces of the new driver, and completely reverted back to the last drivers that DID work, but still don't, then there still is some thing(s) remaining from the new drivers.

That's all from me for now. I'll post back in here again after I've seen you do a "from scratch" install. Till then, there isn't any point in troubleshooting a problematic OS/driver situation.

Remember. No NTune, and no utilities of any kind. That only serves to complicate any troubleshooting process. Keep things as simple as possible right from the beginning.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Just wanna throw this out there. I've had this problem with regular SLI and all the above recommendations are good. However, I would also suggest switching the positions of the SLI bridges (should be able to work on either set of 'teeth'). Sometimes doing that has worked for me. Also, go back and re-seat your PCI-e connectors. I know the third one is being read in GPU-Z, but still worth atry.

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
These two little pieces of info should tell you something.

Deleting the old files "completely" was not as complete as you may think. Because if you had removed any and all traces of the new driver, and completely reverted back to the last drivers that DID work, but still don't, then there still is some thing(s) remaining from the new drivers.

That's all from me for now. I'll post back in here again after I've seen you do a "from scratch" install. Till then, there isn't any point in troubleshooting a problematic OS/driver situation.

Remember. No NTune, and no utilities of any kind. That only serves to complicate any troubleshooting process. Keep things as simple as possible right from the beginning.

I did delete all the drivers. The only drivers being installed now are the generic ones that come with Windows 7 64bit. It even states they are generic under device manager. So if you know how to delete the generic drivers from windows 7 let me know and I will delete them off my system

and as for the cards not sure if this matters but theres green lights on all 3. I know its red if one is faulty. The problem is I accidently installed tages protection system. It did something to my system. I am not really sure what but its making so I cant update any drivers. Including realtek

alanwest09872

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2007
My bad here guys I forgot to post I got my answer.

Right now the new realtek nic driver is conflicting with sli on the nvidia cards. All you have to do is go back one driver and your done everything works fine.

lol all this pain in the butt over a stinking driver.

Ty for all your help I really appreciate it. you guys spent alot of time helping me it was very kind of each of you.

Last edited: