Nvidia threatens partners at CeBIT

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
I don't think anyone sits 1' away from a large 1080p set like you would with a normal monitor.

My face is about 2.5' away from my 24" monitor (regular use and internet). I consider that pretty close.

Sometimes I pull in a few inches for games

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
My face is about 2.5' away from my 24" monitor (regular use and internet). I consider that pretty close.

Sometimes I pull in a few inches for games

32" is a lot bigger than 24". He's saying that your couch isn't right in front of your tv. Computer monitors are different than tv's cus we sit closer to computer monitors.

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
He's saying that your couch isn't right in front of your tv. Computer monitors are different than tv's cus we sit closer to computer monitors.

yeah I understood all that considering he posted it in English. He also said that someone with a 32" might sit that close and I would not be able be 1' away from a 32" for any extended period of time.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Also even though ndvidia cards can do multiple monitor it doesn't let you set them as one giant monitor for games. At least I've never seen nor heard of that ability to do so when I had my 8800 GTS 512. If there was I would have tried a few games with dual monitors. They basically just let you set it as a second monitor so you could drag stuff to it in windows, but it would just be black during gaming.

gen3d

Feb 20, 2010
Maybe I am a freak, but I sit about 2.5' away from my 42" 1080P LCD which I use as my computer monitor. I got use to it real quick and enjoy gaming on it. I do sit back a ways when I watch movies though.

Last edited:

Pantalaimon

Feb 6, 2006
Also even though ndvidia cards can do multiple monitor it doesn't let you set them as one giant monitor for games. At least I've never seen nor heard of that ability to do so when I had my 8800 GTS 512. If there was I would have tried a few games with dual monitors. They basically just let you set it as a second monitor so you could drag stuff to it in windows, but it would just be black during gaming.

Actually NVIDIA announced a few weeks back that they will also support an eyfinity-like setup with some new upcoming driver (for older generation cards) and Fermi. But their solution requires the user to have an SLI setup.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Maybe I am a freak, but I sit about 2.5" away from my 42" 1080P LCD which I use as my computer monitor. I got use to it real quick and enjoy gaming on it. I do sit back a ways when I watch movies though.

That does sound kind of freaky. I mean, I can't be bothered to do the maths, but at 2.5 inches away surely most of the screen would be beyond your cone of vision?

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Actually NVIDIA announced a few weeks back that they will also support an eyfinity-like setup with some new upcoming driver (for older generation cards) and Fermi. But their solution requires the user to have an SLI setup.

Yes I've heard about that. Their 3d surround. However the point is it's coming after eyefinity (it's not here yet and we don't have a date for it), and it will only support newer cards and possibly some of their older cards (which models aren't known).
On the plus side it will offer 3d graphics, though ATI is also doing the same though it doesn't have 3d titles currently.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006

No, you can set it so Windows thinks you have one big display. It's a bit useless for games since your crosshair ends up being split in half by the bezels though :)

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
No, you can set it so Windows thinks you have one big display. It's a bit useless for games since your crosshair ends up being split in half by the bezels though :)

hmm I guess that explains why it was never mentioned before. I suppose it really only becomes feasible with a third monitor for the middle.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
hmm I guess that explains why it was never mentioned before. I suppose it really only becomes feasible with a third monitor for the middle.

If you only play FPS games then you are correct.
If you play strategy games, it's fine. I remember using my dual 17" monitors on my 7800GT in span mode and playing games like Rome Total War across dual monitors, 2560x1024.

At one point I did raise the issue in some comments to an AT article, only to be told by the author of the article that what I was asking them to do (test running across dual monitors) wasn't possible.
It was. I knew it was because I was doing it!

All Eyefinity adds is a third monitor to the equation, which makes the whole setup more broadly gaming friendly for those where action is focused in the middle of the screen (such as FPS games).
Having said that, we're already had hardware (TripleHead2Go) and software (SoftTH) solutions which have allowed triple monitor gaming (on non-matching displays even... I used SoftTH with a 7800GT + 7200GS spanned across a 17, 20 and second 17" monitor).

Eyefinity just tries to make the whole system more consumer friendly, and offers more options (vs Triplehead2Go which is severely resolution limited and horribly expensive) and without hacks (like SoftTH uses).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Didn't that stop working with the move from WinXP?

I certainly cant get it working in Vista or Win7.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Didn't that stop working with the move from WinXP?

I certainly cant get it working in Vista or Win7.

I think it did. Because I certainly remember setting up my 2 19" LCD's a few years ago and playing HL2EP2 on em for a few minutes until the wow-factor wore off (since the crosshair was in the middle). Can't seem to do it in Win7.