Nvidia spills the beans on 'Big Bang II' ForceWare release

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15753

If you were around last August, you might've seen the rumor mill break the news about Nvidia's ForceWare 180 drivers. Nvidia has now given us the official skinny on what the upcoming graphics drivers have in store. Code-named "Big Bang II," the release will bring four major changes: performance increases in games, support for multiple displays in SLI multi-GPU mode, the ability to dedicate a GPU to PhysX computations, and SLI support for upcoming X58 Intel motherboards.

Nvidia pretty much glossed over the performance aspect in its presentation, but it did show a chart where the new drivers improved frame rates by 5% to 35% on a GeForce 9800 GTX+ system. The biggest gains supposedly occurred in Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Far Cry 2, and GRID at resolutions between 1680x1050 and 2560x1600 with antialiasing cranked up. We might have to run our own tests to get a better feel for the new optimizations, though.

The biggest change in the Big Bang II release comes on the multi-monitor front, where Nvidia has finally enabled dual-head support for SLI rigs. Users should no longer have to go into the control panel and manually disable SLI to stretch their desktop across two monitors. Nvidia will offer three distinct modes: in full-screen 3D mode, only the "SLI focus display" will render the game, and the secondary display will go dark. In windowed mode, you'll be able to play a game in a window with both monitors up and running, although Nvidia says you can expect "slightly less SLI acceleration" in that case.

In the third mode, Nvidia will support full-screen SLI gaming across two monitors in a handful of titles?World in Conflict, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, and Flight Simulator X. The company says you won't be able to span most other games across two displays, but it thinks that's not a big downside. After all, nobody wants to be staring at the space between their monitors when playing a first-person shooter.

Nvidia mentioned that the ForceWare 180 drivers can now handle up to six monitors on an SLI system, as well, but you'll need a third GPU that's not hooked up via SLI to drive more than two displays. Either way, these improvements should finally bring Nvidia somewhat up to speed with AMD, which has had seamless multi-display support in CrossFire configs for a long time.

Moving on, the ForceWare 180 release will also tread new ground on the PhysX front. Current drivers already support using a single GPU for both physics and graphics computations, and Nvidia can similarly spread calculations across an SLI setup. With the new drivers, the company will let users dedicate a graphics card to PhysX processing. You won't have to buy a second GeForce GTX 260, either?a low-end card (like an $85 GeForce 9600 GT) will reportedly make a fine sidekick to a faster GeForce for that purpose. That's a neat option, although considering the current dearth of high-profile PhysX-enabled titles, we probably wouldn't recommend buying a GPU for that purpose yet.

Wait a minute, though?didn't Nvidia release ForceWare 180 beta drivers for Far Cry 2 yesterday? Indeed, and although you may see the "skeleton" of some of these features in the beta driver, Nvidia hasn't finished implementing everything just yet. You'll have to wait until next month for the feature-complete release.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Nobody have dual monitors with Nvidia cards? This is same as Matrox dual head gaming for free.

I would love it but then I don't have dual monitors. :(

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I am running 180.42 right now, awesome note about the extra display support via a 3rd card. I just got my new GTX 260s and I can now keep one of the my 8800GTs as a PhysX card/ 3rd LCD hookup.

Only major problem I am having with this driver is that with multi-mon SLI enabled on these drivers, I get a BSOD when trying to launch Eve Online in windowed mode.

Unfortunately, you still don't have span support in Vista due to WDDM limitations, so multi-head gaming is generally out. There are some software solutions like softth that can work around that somewhat.

gramboh

Platinum Member
May 3, 2003
EVGA Precision Tool/Riva Tuner driver level fan control is broken on these. Gonna wait for that to be updated before I get em.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: aka1nas
The NVCP controls work, you just need to install NV System tools 6.03
I think I'd rather wash my mouth out with sulfuric acid. :frown:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: ViRGE

Have you tried the NV System tools? I assume you haven't because your tongue and cheek is still intact? :D

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: ViRGE

Have you tried the NV System tools? I assume you haven't because your tongue and cheek is still intact? :D
In fact I installed them just the other day. I went back to nTune 5 minutes later.:p

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Azn

Nvidia mentioned that the ForceWare 180 drivers can now handle up to six monitors on an SLI system, as well, but you'll need a third GPU that's not hooked up via SLI to drive more than two displays. Either way, these improvements should finally bring Nvidia somewhat up to speed with AMD, which has had seamless multi-display support in CrossFire configs for a long time.

I just threw one of my 8800GTs back in as a 3rd adapter and am now using it for my 3rd monitor and PhysX. The functionality works great and in fact gave me a work around for my BSOD problem with running Eve in a window. I can actually tell the Eve client to use the 8800GT instead of the GTX 260 SLI array and it now runs great windowed and should let me play another game fullscreen while I have an Eve client open on the 3rd monitor w/o any performance loss. :)