Nvidia Shield TV and Big Red X showing

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I recently purchased a Nvidia Shield TV and sometimes when I launch a movie in Netflix, Cinema Now, and Google Play, a big red X appears on the screen and the movie does not load. What is the issue here? I'm now trying the HDMI cable that came with the Shield TV to check if my other HDMI cable was the issue.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Well it's not an HDMI cable issue as it still happened with the HDMI cable it came with. A few minutes ago I was getting a red X on the screen after clicking on a Breaking Bad episode in Netflix and it would not play. Then I tried playing a movie in Cinema Now and it too showed a red X and would not play either. I have the Shield TV connected to an HDMI switch and I need it connected to the HDMI switch with a stereo output jack because my monitor has only DVI and VGA and therefore won't pass through HDMI audio even with an HDMI to DVI cable. I'm thinking of returning the Shield TV because of this red X issue I mentioned. It looks like I might just keep using my Xbox One for Netflix and my PC for Kodi.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I need the HDMI switch as I mentioned I don't have an HDMI input on my monitor so I use an HDMI switch that passes through stereo audio to my PC speakers so I get audio. From the switch I used a HDMI-to-DVI cable to connect from the switch to the monitor. If I don't use the switch, I will not get audio. Even if the switch causes the issue, I still would return the shield, as I'm not going to use the Shield TV without sound.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Is your monitor HDCP compatible?

The best way to test is to try to play something in an app that doesn't give a crap about HDCP, like Kodi.

My monitor is HDCP compatible. Kodi does not have this issue, Netflix, Google Play, and Cinema Now were the only apps that sometimes blocked me from streaming movies with the big red X on the screen. Restarting the device temporarily fixes the issue but later the issue returns. Also Netflix has been stuttering for about a second on me on the Shield TV every 5-10 minutes. I was using a wired ethernet connection with 50 mbps downstream internet connection. I returned the Shield TV today. I will stick with my Xbox One for Netflix and my desktop PC for Kodi for now.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yeah it was certainly some sort of HDCP handshake issue with the switch. You made the right move, no reason to keep something that doesn't work for you.