Question NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti only works properly on PCIE slot 2?

engman

Jan 23, 2008
Hello everyone.

I need help figuring out which component is faulty on my PC, CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard??
When I power up the pc windows, it starts loading and just before login screen should appear I get a black screen and the windows unresponsive and crashed.
But this happens very randomly, It happens like once a week, or one or two weeks without problems. But lately it's everytime I power up the PC, so something is getting worse and I can't correlate to anything I've doe or changed or installed...
Sometimes I keep rebooting after the black screen and surprisingly it enters windows!
To login to windows first I need to go to recovery mode, remove drivers with DDU and login in again in normal mode and reinstall nvidia drivers.
Windows sometimes crashes while installing drivers, either automatically or manually, any version. Sometimes it works.

I have no idea whats going on! I've re-seated all the components, didn't solve the problem.

Today I changed the GPU to PCIE slot 2 @8x and it works fine! surprisingly again! o_O No black screens no crashes while installing drivers...
I loose a bit of performance for not being in slot 1 @16x, it's not a big of a deal but something is damaged or has some defect and I'd like to correct that. damaged PCIE lanes on the CPU motherboard or GPU?
How do I know which component is faulty here? Order a new CPU and motherboard to test them??

Sometimes when powering up the pc I have no video signal at all, no bios info, post messages nothing... motherboard problem?

hardware is GIgabyte z390 aorus master
intel 9900K
NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti
32GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200
samsung 970 PRO SSD nvme

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Have you flashed your bios to the latest?
How about your chipset drivers?
Make sure it's not a software problem before you start swapping parts.

Are you using hdmi?? Is it a good cable?

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Let's get some more info here first.

How old is the system?
Has it always been doing "black screen and the windows unresponsive and crashed" and "very randomly"?
You have any other cards installed in the pcie slots?
Can you always get into windows safe mode when in x16 mode?

engman

Jan 23, 2008
The system is about a year. And bad news it doesn't boot anymore. The motherboard keeps rebooting, no beeps no video signal from any source. Removed the gpu from the system, no signal from igpu with hdmi, just reboots.

The system always had this black screen behaviour from time to time and I could not figure what it was. I still don't know what it is, but it worked perfect.
It's dead now. It's the Cpu, mb, ram?
It beeps when powering up with no ram installed.

I always could boot in safe mode.

engman

Jan 23, 2008
Left the pc at a workshop and the motherboard is not ok.
Going to return it, and buy a asus mb.
No never pushed overclocks, just the standard mb settings and xmp memory profile.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If it is only a year old, it should still be in warranty (I think Gigabyte warrants the Aorus boards for 3 years). From what you describe, it may have had something wrong with it all along and just finally died.

Even if you buy a new motherboard, I'd still do a warranty replacement on the old one. If nothing else, you ought to be able to sell it and recoup a few bucks.

engman

Jan 23, 2008
New motherboard in. Sent the gigabyte motherboard for refund to Amazon and got the Asus maximus hero xi. And....... Motherboard doesn't boot, no video signal anywhere, either from GPU, or no GPU and using internal GPU output only. 😡😡🤬

Stops at Bios post code 79. What is this?

Order a new CPU? New memory?
Another try, Another week without a proper computer. 😒

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Probably a stupid question, but how did you get Amazon to take back a year old motherboard?

Anyway, BIOS post code 79 is "CSM initialization error". On ASUS boards, that usually means that you have connected some type of hardware to the computer that is not supported by the UEFI BIOS.

First, completely drain the power from the system. With the power off, use the CLEAR CMOS button on the motherboard to reset the BIOS to defaults. Then, with the CPU and a single stick of DRAM plugged in, plug in the system and try to boot it with the monitor cable plugged in to the onboard video output. Are you able to access the BIOS? If so, you might need to update the BIOS to the most recent version.

If not, is there any way to tell what BIOS is installed on the motherboard from the packaging (or maybe a sticker on the motherboard)? If not, does the packaging indicate a board manufacture date somewhere? The ASUS support site indicates you may need BIOS version 1005 to support the i9-9900k. Since the board supports ASUS flashback, you should be able to update it even without a CPU.

Also, you never said, but what is the manufacturer and model number of your power supply? Model number of g.skill DRAM?

Last edited:

CarParkCharlie

Jan 15, 2020
Hello everyone.

I need help figuring out which component is faulty on my PC, CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard??
When I power up the pc windows, it starts loading and just before login screen should appear I get a black screen and the windows unresponsive and crashed.
But this happens very randomly, It happens like once a week, or one or two weeks without problems. But lately it's everytime I power up the PC, so something is getting worse and I can't correlate to anything I've doe or changed or installed...
Sometimes I keep rebooting after the black screen and surprisingly it enters windows!
To login to windows first I need to go to recovery mode, remove drivers with DDU and login in again in normal mode and reinstall nvidia drivers.
Windows sometimes crashes while installing drivers, either automatically or manually, any version. Sometimes it works.

I have no idea whats going on! I've re-seated all the components, didn't solve the problem.

Today I changed the GPU to PCIE slot 2 @8x and it works fine! surprisingly again! o_O No black screens no crashes while installing drivers...
I loose a bit of performance for not being in slot 1 @16x, it's not a big of a deal but something is damaged or has some defect and I'd like to correct that. damaged PCIE lanes on the CPU motherboard or GPU?
How do I know which component is faulty here? Order a new CPU and motherboard to test them??

Sometimes when powering up the pc I have no video signal at all, no bios info, post messages nothing... motherboard problem?

hardware is GIgabyte z390 aorus master
intel 9900K
NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti
32GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200
samsung 970 PRO SSD nvme

Check that you haven't accidentally knocked off any pcie decoupling smd caps. I have the same issue with Vega 64 only works in x8 slot. Currently looking into replacing the caps since the card's out of warranty.

Attachments

• Vega64.jpg
    Vega64.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 15

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
New motherboard in. Sent the gigabyte motherboard for refund to Amazon and got the Asus maximus hero xi. And....... Motherboard doesn't boot, no video signal anywhere, either from GPU, or no GPU and using internal GPU output only. 😡😡🤬

Stops at Bios post code 79. What is this?

Order a new CPU? New memory?
Another try, Another week without a proper computer. 😒

Typically means you didn't plug in the 8-pin CPU power.